DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   Using the JVC deck or not? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/64778-using-jvc-deck-not.html)

Jon Glen April 10th, 2006 02:50 PM

Using the JVC deck or not?

i'm curious how many of you JVCHD100 users picked up the JVC deck as well for playback/capture...or are you just using the camera to play back and capture in to your NLE?

Yoochul Chong April 10th, 2006 05:36 PM

Firestore

Have you considered just getting the firestore? 80gb is roughly $1700. there's no need for a deck. saves wear and tear on the camera. just a thought.

William Hohauser April 10th, 2006 05:42 PM

It's a good deck (so far). It interfaces well with FCP and it downconverts HD to SD via the analog outputs. The menu is controlled by buttons on the deck not via a remote.

Shawn Kessler April 10th, 2006 05:54 PM

Drhd 100

is definatly the way to go as its cheaper option than the player recorder.
I got mine for 1535.00.

Jon Glen April 10th, 2006 07:34 PM

well that's the thing, i guess i'm curious about how realistic that is as an option, to just record to the firestore and dump from that into my NLE.....so far sounds VERY realistic.

you guys are'nt having any issues with dropped frames or anything weird like that?

Jeff Morrissette April 10th, 2006 08:25 PM

I cannot get fcp to see my jvc deck at all. Any ideas?

on the other note.

I support it mostly because even with a fire store I still want somthing on tape, plus I don't like to edit with my camera, little old fashion I know.

Jiri Bakala April 10th, 2006 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Morrissette
...I still want somthing on tape, plus I don't like to edit with my camera, little old fashion I know.

Not at all! Anyone who can afford a deck should get one. It will save the wear and tear on the camera. Cameras are designed to record to tape and at a crunch to review what was shot. Decks are designed to withstand the tape shuffling back and forth that is typical of logging and editing. Bottom line.

Jeff Morrissette April 10th, 2006 11:42 PM

Thanks. The whole reason I went with jvc besides I feel the 720 is more robust but the deck is a real deck unlike the sony, in my opinon.

I like it alot I just wish I wasn't having so may problems getting fcp to see it.

I tired lumiere and still nothing.
Although I get the impression you cannot log in luminere, is that true?

Jeff Morrissette April 10th, 2006 11:57 PM

I also work in avid too, if anyone has this deck working with the mac version of avid I would love any feedback.

Kinda figures, avid pc supports the brhd50 and I just switched to apple with both avid and final cut and neither of them claim to support it. 8P

Stewart Menelaws April 11th, 2006 03:51 AM

Hi Jon - Yes we bought the deck, partly because we needed another Mini DV deck to replace ageing equipment - so we need the ability to play mini dv tapes from other sources anyway. The deck really is very well laid out and is a pleasure to use - to second what Jiri said - if you can afford one it is worth the purchase. Although we will also use the DR100 (on order) when it arrives, we will also continue to back up onto tape for the more important jobs.

Jeff... What Version FCP? How are you connecting the deck to your Mac?

Stu...
www.studioscotland.co.uk

K. Forman April 11th, 2006 06:39 AM

The Firestores certainly do sound like they are a simple workflow, faster and easier than a deck. BUT- it is a hard drive, and hard drives will fail at one point or another... usually when you need it the most, and have nothing backed up. Damn you Murphy!

Anyways, just having a tape in your cam as a backup, can save the day. And, if you need to capture that tape's footage, you either need a deck, or your cam. So, I can't see any reason to not have a deck, aside from not being able to afford one.

Jiri Bakala April 11th, 2006 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Morrissette
I also work in avid too, if anyone has this deck working with the mac version of avid I would love any feedback.

I do and it works fine for ingest. Just about any deck template will do, even SONY DSR11. I use it controlled by RS422 through a Keyspan adaptor. It doesn't, however, work for recording back to tape -- yet. So I have to use my DSR-11 for that. I believe that the problem is an Avid issue that has to do with the deck template and my hope is that after NAB there is going to be an upgrade that will solve this. FYI: my Avid version is AXP 4.8 (Mac). So, of course, we are talking about using the deck in SD or downconvert mode.

Steven Davis April 11th, 2006 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon Glen
i'm curious how many of you JVCHD100 users picked up the JVC deck as well for playback/capture...or are you just using the camera to play back and capture in to your NLE?

What deck are we talking about?

K. Forman April 11th, 2006 09:08 AM

I'm sure he's talking about the... what is it? BR-50?

Jeff Morrissette April 11th, 2006 09:48 AM

Yes Br50 JVC. It's connected via firewire and I have final cut 5 (not 5.1 upgrade) apple said the new upgrade would not support it. ALso 10.4.6 is the os.