JVC101E-onboard mic at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old April 11th, 2006, 07:43 AM   #1
Major Player

JVC101E-onboard mic

hi
Used the XL1s onborad mic for a wedding, (for everything)it was fine, doing a wedding with tyhe JVC101e and was wondering if the mic would be as good as the mic on the xl1s,the xl1s mic is a stero mic, i don not know what type of mic the jvc101e has.

j
John Doran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2006, 08:54 AM   #2
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Doran
hi
Used the XL1s onborad mic for a wedding, (for everything)it was fine, doing a wedding with tyhe JVC101e and was wondering if the mic would be as good as the mic on the xl1s
Hi John.

I don't know the XL1S but the stock mic on the HD100 is terrible. If you want an inexpensive mic that sounds great get a RODE NTG1 (mono), connect it to Input 2 on the camera and set the switch to "Channel 2 to Channel 1" for recoding on both channels at the same time. I think I got mine at B&H for about $250.00, including holder and a short cable.
Old April 11th, 2006, 09:01 AM   #3
Major Player

mic

thankyou very much, i will have a look at that

john
Old April 11th, 2006, 09:19 AM   #4
Major Player

Well, it is terrible, but so was the XL1s mic in my opinion. Better go for the rode, or bvetter yet, a sound man with a mic very far from the camcorder (and preferrably close to the subject :-) )
Werner Wesp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2006, 09:37 AM   #5
Major Player

mic

hi werner

i am a oneman band, the xl1s mic was ok it was stereo, it's just i have not tried the 101e's mic yet, if it is roughly the same as the xl1s' it will do.

john.
Old April 11th, 2006, 09:51 AM   #6
Contributor

Quote:
hi werner

i am a oneman band, the xl1s mic was ok it was stereo, it's just i have not tried the 101e's mic yet, if it is roughly the same as the xl1s' it will do.

john.

John I'd back up the comments about the nTG1 but if you can afford it you might consider a second mic - radio the Senheisser Evolution 100 series (quite cost effective) for the other channel. Should get you even closer to the action with a little planning.
John Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2006, 01:57 PM   #7
Major Player

mic

thanks again

but is the onboard mic that bad, i will probaly go for the rode.

john
Old April 11th, 2006, 02:36 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paolo Ciccone
connect it to Input 2 on the camera and set the switch to "Channel 2 to Channel 1" for recoding on both channels at the same time.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the "Ch-2 input" switch is for routing input 1 to record on either just ch1 or to both ch1 and ch2. It will not route the signal from input2 to both channels, in fact if switched to "input 2" it will mute input 2 entirely, in favour of input 1
Paul Jefferies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2006, 02:47 PM   #9
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Jefferies
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the "Ch-2 input" switch is for routing input 1 to record on either just ch1 or to both ch1 and ch2. It will not route the signal from input2 to both channels, in fact if switched to "input 2" it will mute input 2 entirely, in favour of input 1
Brain fart on my side, that's what I meant :) Connect the mic to Ch 1 and use the switch to record on both channels.
Old April 15th, 2006, 07:13 AM   #10
Major Player

The JVC onboard mic is pretty bad. It really has a sharp roll off on the bottom end.

I swapped it for one of our Sony mics from a DXC637 and it's noticibly better for Nat Sound.

I haven't tried the NTG1. It is substantially longer than the stock mic at 8.5 inches. Does it fit well in the mount?

What about a mic like the Sony ECM-NV1? It's a similar price...OEM from the PD170 and made for camera mounting.
Dave Beaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2006, 08:11 AM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Beaty
The JVC onboard mic is pretty bad. It really has a sharp roll off on the bottom end.

I swapped it for one of our Sony mics from a DXC637 and it's noticibly better for Nat Sound.
I also use the mics. from my DSR-300a. Waaaay better than the JVC's mic.

Laszlo
Laszlo Horvath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2006, 11:10 AM   #12
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Beaty
I haven't tried the NTG1. It is substantially longer than the stock mic at 8.5 inches. Does it fit well in the mount?
Yes, it does. I bought mine with a shock mount that connect to the shoe connector of the camera. I like it in the center instead of being on the side. In fact I removed the standard microphone mount.
Old April 16th, 2006, 03:00 PM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paolo Ciccone
Yes, it does. I bought mine with a shock mount that connect to the shoe connector of the camera. I like it in the center instead of being on the side. In fact I removed the standard microphone mount.

So where would you put the "light" if the mic is in the middle ?.

john
Old April 16th, 2006, 05:33 PM   #14
Trustee

Quote:
So where would you put the "light" if the mic is in the middle ?.
Well, I guess that in that case you would use the side holder for the mic, it works fine for the NTG1. I don't use any on-board light. Besides, taking the holder on or off is just a minute.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems