direct to Disk - looks like a drop out ??? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old May 28th, 2006, 03:19 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Patton
Edwin, I'm not sure I follow the question.
If you are wondering if repacking a previously used tape (one you have shot with) helps before digitizing then I would guess the answer is no.
I have only started repacking with the last 2-3 tapes used, but due to getting better results and less drop-outs this way, I will repack every new tape before using it with this camera from now on.
Hi Daniel - sorry my english is very bad. - I mean: when you are going to shoot, you take the new, black/not yet recorded (not yet shot) tape, forward it to the end and reversed it back to the beginning, and then start shooting with it - and you do this with every tape before recording on it, right? - And what kind of tape (brand) do you use? On another thread, Jiri Bakala tells about using different tape: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=68132
- Again, many thanks
Edwin Beeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2006, 06:38 PM   #17
Regular Crew

[QUOTE=Daniel Patton]Carl, although I agree it might be more wear on the camera (although not likely for the heads since they are not even engaged), but considering the end result when this is not done like dropouts, etc., who cares if I put some wear on the system if that end result is better? And although not everyone has a deck, we save such general wear by using ours for this task now as well as digitizing (another good reason for a deck then). I'm not so sure that just removing slack is the only issue here. I have recently been wondering if when they produce each tape off the spool if they are not doing so at times to poor standards (or simply poor consistency). This might also explain why some people get better results with less drop-outs even when using cheap tapes. Could they be wound better?

Hey Daniel,

I'm just suggesting that usually taking up the slack with your finger does the trick. As far as poor tape quality, well that is true with all manufactures. I have been doing this for 20 years and I always had to take up the slack in tapes, even 3/4. I think you should care about unnessesary ware, these cameras are not cheap, and not made as tough as the broadcast cameras. They do sell cheep rewiners if interested.
Carl Martin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems