Dumb DR-HD100 question. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old April 11th, 2006, 03:57 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Dumb DR-HD100 question.

My DR-HD100 got here today. I can't use it right this minute because my camera is off having the A upgrade, but something has stumped me and I realize I probably should know the answer, but I don't.

OK, the unit has a little belt-clip anchor on the back and then it slides into a sleeve that's got a threaded socket that looks like a tripod socket. Am I supposed to screw something into that socket that will mate with the shoe on the camera? That's the only way I can see that I could mount the unit on the camera, but I'm apparently either too dim or uninformed to understand what should attach there for this to work out all cozy-like. Or does the belt-clip anchor fit into the shoe, too? And if so, why the sleeve?

Also, is there a place online where I can order a cable that will allow this to plug into the IDX battery? I can't imagine the battery it shipped with lasting all that long. They estimate 90 minutes of runtime, but experience tells me that probably means a little under an hour. Heh...or maybe I'm too cynical.

Anyway, I'd really appreciate any help I could get here. If you have to speak in simple sentences I'll understand. ;-)
Robert Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2006, 04:38 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

The standard 1/4-20 threaded insert lets you mount the drive to the camera or anywhere else using a common universal shoe mount, get one at any photo supply store.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2006, 04:42 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd
The standard 1/4-20 threaded insert lets you mount the drive to the camera or anywhere else using a common universal shoe mount, get one at any photo supply store.
Cool. I knew it was probably something simple. Of course, I'm shooting a documentary in the middle of Kentucky coal country right now and don't have a photo supply store within 100 miles, but maybe I can find one online. ;-)

Thanks!

-Rob (who wishes something other than fried food could be found within 100 miles, too...)
Old April 11th, 2006, 05:11 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Jackson
-Rob (who wishes something other than fried food could be found within 100 miles, too...)
Oh you mean like that vegi platter? All fried of course. :) Welcome to the South!
RED ONE #977
Daniel Patton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2006, 12:57 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Patton
Oh you mean like that vegi platter? All fried of course. :) Welcome to the South!
Yeah, the first week it's like, "Mmmm, they make some serious fried chicken here." A week or so later I started to think maybe I should just start grazing in the field across the road. Some grass and dandelions might work out better than more hush puppies and fritters. I'm spending so much time staring in horror at my complexion that I think I'm turning into a teenage girl.
Old April 14th, 2006, 09:02 PM   #6
Major Player

You'll need a Noga arm to mount the Firestore to the camera with a shoe adapter if you want to position the Firestore so you can easily see the display. The smallest one works best. It's $160 and over priced for a few pieces of machines aluminum IMHO. But patents speak volumes in economics.

Dave
Dave Beaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2006, 10:44 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Beaty
You'll need a Noga arm to mount the Firestore to the camera with a shoe adapter if you want to position the Firestore so you can easily see the display. The smallest one works best. It's $160 and over priced for a few pieces of machines aluminum IMHO. But patents speak volumes in economics.

Dave
Do you really need to see the display that bad? As long as it's engaging when you punch the record button I can't imagine needing to really keep an eye on it. I wish it was practical to strap it to the back of that IDX battery where I wouldn't worry about whacking it into something.
Old April 15th, 2006, 06:52 AM   #8
Major Player

It would be nice if there was a bracket to attach it like that to the battery.
Using the hot shoe is kind of awkward. But, I did feel better being able to access the front panel controls or see that it's actully recording when it should be. The supplied 1 foot cable is not long enough for this type of mounting, though.
Dave Beaty is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems