ALERT: Power OFF before changing Firewire or switching HDV/DV - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old April 12th, 2006, 04:36 PM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood
The 4-pins fall out too easily when you are tethered in a production situation.
Yep, Tim, I know that is the explication JVC gives "it is much more robust...", but actually, the 6-pins firewire on my HD101 gives a very, very loose connection, whereas with my XL1/XL2 before (4-pins), I actually had to put some effort and strength in getting the connector in....
Werner Wesp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2006, 04:51 PM   #17
Major Player

6 pin firewire cables smoking the ports on other devices IS NOT a jvc issue.

This can happen to ANY Camera/Deck.

One of our rental facilities had this happen on a regular basis. They finally put a sheet of paper on the decks in their hard cases warning users that they would be liable if they smoked the port.

It also mentioned this happened specifically on a version of O/S X and was more a of a problem due to the "state" that the power connectors were in.

It can also happen to any device if you plug it in and short the terminals do to improper angle insertion.
Mark Silva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2006, 06:12 PM   #18
Trustee

I guess just have the camera switched off. No big deal. One of the guys said that the 6 pin connector is loose. I agree it is not tight at all. It's so loose in fact that I was looking at the tabs on the sides of the connector and thinking about giving them some "re-engineering" so that the cable hangs in there more solidly. It's the same on the deck. Loose!
Stephen L. Noe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2006, 11:59 PM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Green
Most of the reports of blown firewire ports seem to come from Mac users;
Could be. I was talking to a guy who was doing tech work at the local college's Mac lab where they do video editing. He mentioned problems with students connecting their firewire hard drives. Sometimes the drive blows etc. They now require students to power everything off when connecting/disconnecting.

Maybe it's easy to short the wrong wires when plugging in. I'm guessing JVC is going to use the power for the hard drive recorder. Anybody know how it's powered?

Some HVX users have wondered why Panny went with 4 pins. Maybe this is why.
Joel Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2006, 10:07 AM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen L. Noe
I guess just have the camera switched off. No big deal. One of the guys said that the 6 pin connector is loose. I agree it is not tight at all. It's so loose in fact that I was looking at the tabs on the sides of the connector and thinking about giving them some "re-engineering" so that the cable hangs in there more solidly. It's the same on the deck. Loose!
indeed stephen, I was already thinking wether that is 'supposed to be done', since the metal ousides of the plug aren't conceiled anyway...
Old April 14th, 2006, 10:28 AM   #21
Major Player

I really like the idea of that isolater to solve the problem.

So just to confirm, if you use that isolater that effectively removes the power pins on the 6-pin firewire port, there is no chance of smoking the firewire port on the device correct?

I'd just rather get one and hot plug because its a pain powering down everytime.
Mark Silva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2006, 03:11 PM   #22
Tourist

What about the TDK loops provided? Isn't that intended to stabalize the 6 Pin power and allow it to be hot swappable? My biggest problem is the 6pin to 6pin cables that I have are all fat and do not fit in the TDK (I forget the metal contained inside) loops. The only thin 1394 cables I have are for 4 pins.

Any thoughts?
Dane Oldridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2006, 06:57 PM   #23
Major Player

Use a 6-pin to 4-pin wire with a 4pin to 6-pin adapter, perhaps?
Old April 14th, 2006, 07:19 PM   #24
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane Oldridge
What about the TDK loops provided? Isn't that intended to stabalize the 6 Pin power and allow it to be hot swappable?
No, the ferrite cores are for filtering out electrical noise.
Old April 16th, 2006, 03:44 AM   #25
Regular Crew

Yeah, I was a victim of this. I was out of commishion for a month, hence the wheelchair new camera and refurbished G5.
Bruce Meyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2006, 08:40 PM   #26
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane Oldridge
My biggest problem is the 6pin to 6pin cables that I have are all fat and do not fit in the TDK (I forget the metal contained inside) loops.
There is one TDK loop provided for fat fire-wire cables, I have it on mine and this cable is a fat one like all 6 to 6 pin.

I put my PC on stand by mode before connecting the turned off camera, I think this is safe enought and won't take the necessary time for turning off and back on the PC.
Diogo Athouguia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2006, 02:31 AM   #27
Contributor

I'm not sure about it being "acceptable" engineering. The IEEE spec was designed to be "hot swappable", therefore any device on the chain should be exactly that. Sadly this is not the case and many firewire devices are unprotected.
As far as the electronics go, wherever there is a chance of inadvertantly mixing polarity, there should be some kind of protective device built into the circuit (usually a 5c zener diode or something).
At least JVC provide a warning. However their housing is lousy and should be fixed with something much heavier duty.
John Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2006, 02:37 PM   #28
Regular Crew

Fw

Canopus have always given a warning over firewire 4 pin sockets and tbh I have always myself been wary of 4 and 6 pin FW sockets, the best plug socket combo is actually the FW800 9 pin, why that is not used for camera's I'll never know.
Ian Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2006, 09:10 PM   #29
Regular Crew

1) when they say power off devices - do they mean BOTH the camera and computer?
2) How many Clamp filters were provided? I got 1 black Clamp filter and 4core filters (grey)
3) Did they give a IEEE1394 connector? I cant find any firewire cable in the box... (Manual Page 3 - says "IEEE1394 6pin connector provided)
Old June 21st, 2006, 09:58 AM   #30
Major Player

"For extra assurance, I would also recommend the use of a firewire port isolator."

Tim,
Are you saying this is a fix or should be used as well as tuning off my computer and camera to hook up the FW cable?

Thanks,
Jon
Jon Jaschob is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems