DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   FireStore DR-HD100 / Direct To HardDrive Recording (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/64956-firestore-dr-hd100-direct-harddrive-recording.html)

Rob Stiff April 12th, 2006 10:29 PM

FireStore DR-HD100 / Direct To HardDrive Recording

Has anyone had any success with direct to
hard drive capture of 720 24p footage?
For example using the: FireStore DR-HD100?

Dave Beaty April 14th, 2006 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Stiff
Has anyone had any success with direct to
hard drive capture of 720 24p footage?
For example using the: FireStore DR-HD100?

We just received our Focus Enhancements DR-HD100. It's sweet when plugged into an "A" version camera. We are using Final Cut Pro to edit. The files captured are not compatible with Final Cut Pro Studio. This is direct info from Focus TS. They report a firmware patch is being programmed to allow FCP to import the files. It's due in a month.

I have not been able to do extensive testing yet, but the camera responds correctly to the unit, displaying seconds remaining in the VF ect, the play, pause rec functions just wonderfully and I reccomend this DDR for everyone that has tried using tape transports for complex captures of many hours of tapes! I captured 30p and 24p no problem, with TC being displayed on the firestore. It connect to the camera with a Noga arm. $160 in addition to the drive.

I hooked up the DDR to my G5 and it showed right up as an external FW drive and I was able to copy the material to the Mac. FCP would not recognize the footage.

I loaded the clips in Streamclip and they play out just fine and show up as MPEG-2 transport streams 1280 x 720. I tried converting a few to DVCpro HD and I could load those into FCP. I'm really not sure which conversion would be best, fastest and with the least recompression artifacts...any suggestions? :)

Dave Beaty
Dreamtime

Check out a trailer we did with the GY-HD100. Used 2-3 Arris and the Fujinon wide angle adapter on the stock lens. Shot in 24p with 24 shutter and motion smoothing on.

www.therescuerstv.com

The firestore saves .m2t files. So, if your editor can read these you're all set. We have to convert them to quicktime in order to use the files. MPEG Streamclip, for instance, can reencode the files for us until a patch is available.

Chris Hurd April 14th, 2006 08:45 PM

Great report! Thanks Dave,

Robert Jackson April 14th, 2006 11:27 PM

My DR-HD100 showed up a couple of days ago and then my camera came back from having the A mod yesterday, so I tried it out today. Seems to work like a charm. I'm on location in Kentucky coal country right now and don't have my PC system with me, so I have no plans to edit anything while I'm here. I brought a G5 iMac and a Seagate Firewire drive. The iMac recognizes the DR-HD100 immediately and it's a snap to drag the files across. I can't edit the 24P files, but I can play them back in VLC and everything looks great. As I shoot I'm backing the files up to DVD and then moving them off to the Seagate. It seems to be a good solution for me right now.

David Holleb April 26th, 2006 04:09 AM

FireStore Capacity question

Hi-
I'm thinking of getting one of these.
Can someone point me to a chart (I couldn't find one on FireStore's site),
or tell me how many minutes/hours can I record in the following formats:
720/24p
480/60p,480/24p
480/60i

Thanks very much.

David
http://ProHD.CoolRage.com/

Ken Freed JVC April 26th, 2006 07:54 AM

I'm a bit emparrased that I don't know the data rate of the MPEG 480

The 720 MPEG has a data rate of 19Mbps for 4 hours on the 40GB and 8 hours onthe 80GB. This is regardless of frame rate.

The 480 NTSC of 60I and 24p/pa is 25Mbps and so you have 3 hours on the 40GB and 80GB

This may seem strange to have more HD than SD but Mpeg is much more effective that the old DCT DV codecs.

On tape we fit the 19Mbps MPEG stream in the video space of the DV25 data "shape" on the tape. So the tape is one hour of SD and one hour of HD. But on the drive we just record the transport stream of 19Mbps.

Steve Benner April 26th, 2006 05:05 PM

The DR-HD100 Drive is going to be a major reason to swing for the HD100 rather than the HVX200. I am getting it soon, and do not want to edit from tape. I really want to be edit without tapes and I was very happy when I heard about the DR-HD100 since I really think the JVC is a better camera. I am very conserned about buying a $5000 camera and having it break from digitaizing too much footage. I also find it counter productive to spend so much on the BR JVC HD deck since the HDD option is available.

I didn't realize that the DR-HD100 does not work with FCP yet? Does anyone know how this firmware is going to work, ie. will it be downloadable right the the drive?

Reguarding SD, if I shoot in 24P (2:3:3:2) and select Quicktime 24 on the DR-HD100, will I be able to import the clips into Final Cut Pro and edit right to a 24 Frame timeline without revomal of the pulldown?

Also, what file format does FCP use when it captures from the JVC at 720/30P?

George Lilly April 26th, 2006 09:27 PM

Does anyone know if this version will do time lapse similar to the other Firestore Models?

Robert Jackson April 26th, 2006 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by George Lilly
Does anyone know if this version will do time lapse similar to the other Firestore Models?

Only in the SD modes, not in HDV.

Rati Oneli January 24th, 2007 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Jackson

HD100 now records in native Quictime format 720P24 from JVC HD100 so oyou can edit in FCP. I think their new FS addition HDD alos record in that mode (I might be mistaken though, their custmore service was quite elsuvie about that), but those HDD need firmware update which costs $39. If that is true, it would be great since newer versions cost a bit less DR-HD100 and are more affordable. I don't see a reason why I should by the more expensive one.

Rati Oneli January 24th, 2007 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Jackson

HD100 now records in native Quictime format 720P24 from JVC HD100 so oyou can edit in FCP. I think their new FS addition HDDs also record in that mode (I might be mistaken though, their custmorer service rep was quite elsuvie about that), but newer HDDs need firmware update which costs $39. If that is true, it would be great since newer versions cost a bit less DR-HD100 and are more affordable. I don't see a reason why one should buy the more expensive one.

William Hohauser January 24th, 2007 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rati Oneli
HD100 now records in native Quictime format 720P24 from JVC HD100 so oyou can edit in FCP. I think their new FS addition HDDs also record in that mode (I might be mistaken though, their custmorer service rep was quite elsuvie about that), but newer HDDs need firmware update which costs $39. If that is true, it would be great since newer versions cost a bit less DR-HD100 and are more affordable. I don't see a reason why one should buy the more expensive one.

Sorry, due to Focus Enhancements decree, FireStore HD drives can not be programmed to record 720p24 in QuickTime, only the HD100 sold thru JVC can be programmed do that although they are all identical units.

While the FireStores are a very good product, the Focus management has a spotty record of customer support regarding updates. It's not surprising that their service rep was elusive, they probably don't know what the policy is.