opinions on the DV.com review of the HD100? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old April 16th, 2006, 12:10 PM   #31
Trustee

There are 5 countries represented on this thread.

It started in the US then went to Australia then to UK and then Portugal and finally to Canada. AFAIK it is "legal" to quote any other source as long as credit is given to the source in any country. That, however, may not be the policy of the web site (ie Chris Hurd).

Anyway, it's not big deal to get a UN and PW for the article to read.
Stephen L. Noe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2006, 07:51 PM   #32
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate Weaver
Looks just fine, as you'd expect. You just have to spend a lot of money and trouble to capture it.
give us some sugar baby. come on, it just "looks fine"? can you elaborate please? It's an intriguing capability that doesn't get discussed much.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2006, 12:49 AM   #33
Regular Crew

Chris, what I wrote above wasn't meant to be an attack on you or this site in any way. This policy seems to be the same everywhere and it was a general comment on that (and a frustration b/c I know it means I'll make more mistakes like I did).
I just wish there was some kind of ruling that the site is not responsible for what people post on it. But, we're all here to discuss video so perhaps we should just stick with that.
Anyway, sorry if I came across the wrong way.
Ashley Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2006, 01:12 AM   #34
Obstreperous Rex

No worries Ashley, it's all good. I wish we didn't live in such a litigious society.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2006, 02:22 PM   #35
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley Cooper
I just wish there was some kind of ruling that the site is not responsible for what people post on it.
There have been lawsuits and rulings. It gets complicated and every board op should probably consult with their own attorney. I do know of one case where actively editing posts actually worked against a board owner when they failed to remove a particular post. So IF you choose to monitor / edit the posts, THEN you have to be extra cautious - which is what appears to be happening at DVinfo... and that's cool. Better safe than sorry! :-)
Joel Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2006, 03:33 PM   #36
Inner Circle

the article seems to suggest the sse effect, if present in your camera, is something you have to learn to accept and live with. i had the impression that jvc can fix this issue?
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2006, 05:25 PM   #37
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Luce
the article seems to suggest the sse effect, if present in your camera, is something you have to learn to accept and live with. i had the impression that jvc can fix this issue?
They can give you a firmware update or something, which makes the SSE effect less apparent, and if what I read is correct, make it practicaly invisable in most situations, however they cannot fix it completely: with high gain on and/or extreme temperatures you'll always notice...
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2006, 12:32 AM   #38
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathieu Ghekiere
They can give you a firmware update or something, which makes the SSE effect less apparent, and if what I read is correct, make it practicaly invisable in most situations, however they cannot fix it completely: with high gain on and/or extreme temperatures you'll always notice...
What you'll also notice with high gain is that using a lot of gain looks really, really bad on digital cameras whether there's SSE present or not. ;-)

I have my HD100 set up so it can bump up the gain as high as +6, but I don't want to see anything higher than that. I have yet to see any SSE, but I kind of don't expect to see SSE using the camera the way I'm using the camera.

BTW, I am constantly being blown away by the quality out of this camera. I was shooting an interview with an 82-year-old physicist yesterday in Pittsburgh and I was in a cramped little office at Pitt where using lights was going to be tough, so just to see how ambient light would fare I fired up the camera. IMO, it looked great. Under standard ceiling fixtures and with a window I got images that looked wonderful to me. The use of the Knee and Stretch functions kept the window from blowing out. Until I got home and looked at the footage I wasn't completely sure about the lighting, but it looked great. I was worried about flicker, but didn't experience any. Shooting at 1/48th in 24P (as opposed to 1/60th in 30P) seems to allow the camera to fare well in much lower light than that shift should allow, but I'm not complaining.

Tonight I shot a panel of coal industry people facing off with environmentalists. It was under basic house lights and also turned out great.

The only complaint I have about the rig at all is that the battery life of the DR-HD100 is really short. I seem to get a little over an hour out of it. That really blows. I need to find a workaround soon.
Robert Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2006, 09:05 AM   #39
JVC America

Battery Life

Hi Robert,

I'm really glad to hear of your positive results with the camera.

Regarding battery life: The small battery that the camera comes with the camera is really intended to just get you started. JVC's specialty is in building cameras, not batteries. Most users of the GY-HD100U have added a commercial battery adaptor from Anton Bauer, IDX, or PAG. These systems allow run times of 3 to 5 hours. These products are available from the JVC dealer that you bought the camera from. Of course, you can also buy several extra JVC BN-V438U batteries and accomplish the same thing - it's just more cumbersome.

Regards, Carl
Carl Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2006, 09:13 AM   #40
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Hicks
Hi Robert,

I'm really glad to hear of your positive results with the camera.

Regarding battery life: The small battery that the camera comes with the camera is really intended to just get you started. JVC's specialty is in building cameras, not batteries. Most users of the GY-HD100U have added a commercial battery adaptor from Anton Bauer, IDX, or PAG. These systems allow run times of 3 to 5 hours. These products are available from the JVC dealer that you bought the camera from. Of course, you can also buy several extra JVC BN-V438U batteries and accomplish the same thing - it's just more cumbersome.

Regards, Carl
Well, I've seen JVC promotional material that says the IDX battery can also power the drive via a D-Tap connector, but I haven't been able to find a cable for the job anywhere. I emailed Focus Enhancements about it hoping they could point me in the right direction, but I never got a reply.

The camera has been a great investment for me, though. I've been very happy with the results so far and the camera handles like a "real" camera, which is a huge deal. I've never picked up a prosumer camera before this that was really usable. Or at least nothing that I'd have felt comfortable using.
Old April 20th, 2006, 09:55 AM   #41
JVC America

Powertap for HDD

Hi Robert,

Anton Bauer sells a powertap cable for the HDD units. It is called a "POWERTAP-FS4" This is what you may have seen JVC promote. They also make a mounting plate. Full info on the Anton Bauer solution is at:

http://www.antonbauer.com/Product_QR...7-14%20HDV.htm

IDX tells me that there is a company in Nashville that can make you a cable to go from the IDX power tap to the HDD units. Contact info is:

Trew Audio
Ph. 615-256-3542
Nashville, TN
e-mail Rob@trewaudio.com

Regards, Carl
Carl Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2006, 10:01 AM   #42
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Hicks
Hi Robert,

Anton Bauer sells a powertap cable for the HDD units. It is called a "POWERTAP-FS4" This is what you may have seen JVC promote. They also make a mounting plate. Full info on the Anton Bauer solution is at:

http://www.antonbauer.com/Product_QR...7-14%20HDV.htm

IDX tells me that there is a company in Nashville that can make you a cable to go from the IDX power tap to the HDD units. Contact info is:

Trew Audio
Ph. 615-256-3542
Nashville, TN
e-mail Rob@trewaudio.com

Regards, Carl
Thank you for that information. I'll contact them right now. The JVC information where I saw the bit about the power tap is on the JVC Pro web site. It says:

http://pro.jvc.com/prof/attributes/f...&feature_id=01

The battery bracket has a 14.8V D-Tap accessory cable which will provide power simultaneously to DR-HD100 JVC disk recorder and to a light.
Old April 20th, 2006, 09:13 PM   #43
Major Player

Just an aside...I am constantly blown away with the quality of the camera's image when displayed on a CRT. Very SRIII. We have a Sony 14" HD CRT component in line with a Samsung LCD via HDMI and our LCD computer monitors. The Sony CRT looks stunning and filmlike compared to the LCD's, which are poor in comparison.

Dave Beaty
Dave Beaty is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems