New HD100 Pixel Out - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old April 18th, 2006, 01:33 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Ward
Eric,

. I wanted to get away form the small DV look and when converted down to SD the pics on the JVC look very good. The colour is not quite as rich but otherwise compares very well with Digibeta.

Cheers
Tim
what method/software are you using to convert to SD?
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2006, 07:42 AM   #17
New Boot

Hi Brian,

Quite basic really, play HD out of the JVC through the component connectors in SD and record in on a Sony DSR45 to DVCAM. I can edit the HD using Canopus Edius 3.6 and use it to convert HD to SD as well. The Sony as I understand will allow you to playout HD recordings in SD through the firwire unlike the JVC.

Cheers
Tim
Tim Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2006, 07:51 AM   #18
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Ward

I wanted to get away form the small DV look and when converted down to SD the pics on the JVC look very good. The colour is not quite as rich but otherwise compares very well with Digibeta

-----------------------------------------------------

...play HD out of the JVC through the component connectors in SD and record in on a Sony DSR45 to DVCAM.
Tim,

That is where you are losing some of your ability to keep the color looking like digibeta. DVCAM is the same 4:1:1 color space and 5:1 compression as mini-dv. If you could get a HD capture card that downconverts to an SD codec such as DVCPRO50, you might not be able to discern the difference without very close examination.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2006, 09:04 AM   #19
New Boot

Greg,

I see what you mean though I am using PAL so it's 4:2:0 as compared to Digibeta/DVCPRO50/D9 4:2:2. But then again HDV is also 4:2:0 (in Europe as is DVD/DVB etc) and this is why I said apart from the richness in colour the look of HDV (the JVC anyway) downconverted to SD is close to Digibeta. Surely, if the HDV codec is 4:2:0 then an expensive capture card will show very little difference?

HDV is also much more compressed than DV/DVCAM, I can't remember the excact figure but I think it's something like 14:1 compared to Beta SX which also uses MPEG II which is 9:1 at 18Mbs. This is far more than DVCAM at 5.1 at 25 Mbs so I won't loose due to the DVCAM compression ratio, although it could add artifacts due to re-encoding.

Cheers
Tim
Old May 7th, 2006, 09:24 AM   #20
Major Player

Another New Boot with a dead pixel

Hi everyone!

Im new to the forums although I've been silent particpant for a while. I just recieved my HD100 am already in love with it. NO SSE WHATSOEVER. But, there is a nice white dead/stuck pixel in the lower left side of the image. Its on the flip out monitor and shows up after I dump the footage on to my mac. It shows up even at 0 gain. I am working on a shoot this week, so if anyone could shoot me an email at variable_101@hotmail.com and send instructions for the "service menu fix" I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks, and I am glad to be here; the people here are great!
Alan Ortiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2006, 02:49 PM   #21
Major Player

Yup, much to my horror I discovered a dead CCD pixel on my new HD100.. thankfully I saw this post and feel a little more relieved. I've emailed Steven Thomas for the info. Thanks.
Old May 7th, 2006, 06:01 PM   #22
New Boot

Just to report back concerning my dead pixel issue. The service menu fixed it, although I had to do it twice because the first time cured the original dead pixel but a new curiously appeared!

However, last week a colleague and I did some HD tests on a beach with clear sunny skies, comparing the HD100 with the Z1. I was playing around with the manual iris setting on the lens. I shot 30 secs or so with the iris just open. The CCDs were by now were quite warm. When I got back and played the footage back downconverted to SD on a grade one monitor through component, I saw a very faint SSE. I have read on this forum before that this may well still be evident under certain conditions so I put it down to that and not unduly worried, just yet! But I would be interested to know if JVC UK/Europe have a similar policy of upgrading like JVS US has done for this same SSE issue.

Tim
Old May 7th, 2006, 07:28 PM   #23
Trustee

Just a few notes..
The JVC upgrade does not fix the SSE issue, you must send it in to JVC to get calibrated.

Also, before you map pixels out, you need to let your camera warm up. I left mine on for about 40 minutes before mapping.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2006, 09:56 PM   #24
Major Player

thanks!

thanks for the email with the instructions! I shot quite a bit today and have not noticed the dead pixel in any of the footage- yet. Im using a different scene file- Tim Dashwoods CineWide, so im not certain if this has an impact at all or not. All I have to say is that I am LOVING what is coming out.
Alan Ortiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2006, 08:25 AM   #25
JVC Regional Sales Engineer

Right, Steven. The update to revision A does not have any effect on what people call SSE. New manufacturing techniques have taken care of that. If it is detected, we would like to take care of that for any US owner.

By the way, if anyone does send in a camera to have SSE addressed, be sure to indicate exactly the camera settings under which you saw it. Such as frame rate, gain settings, iris setting, and any coloration if noiticed. It matters.

It looks like all who need the pixel blemish proceedure on this thread have it. If any one needs it, I am at kfreed@jvc.com

And yes the camera should be warm. The blemish must be a certain brightness (really electronic level) for the software to detect it. And blemishes do get brighter as the camera warms. Put a blanket over it and let it warm up. We do not recommend placing the camera in a microwave oven however. That would be a bad thing.
kfreed@jvc.com
Ken Freed JVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2006, 09:18 AM   #26
Obstreperous Rex

Thanks, Ken... I'm sure that JVC doesn't recommend slow-roasting an HD100 over an open fire, as Andy Young did in Madagascar (just because it worked for him, doesn't mean it'll work for everybody -- but if you're going to do it I'd suggest charcoal over propane any day).

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2006, 10:54 AM   #27
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Freed JVC
We do not recommend placing the camera in a microwave oven however. That would be a bad thing.
Somehow I feel this would void the warranty :)
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2006, 10:44 AM   #28
New Boot

I also have a dead pixel

Hi Everyone,

I'm a newbie to the forum, but so far its been a great source of info. I found this thread related to the dead pixel problem. I just received my HD100 and within 20 minutes of use, I got a white hot pixel in the upper right corner of the screen. If anyone can get me instructions on how to fix that via the service menu, I would appreciate it. craig@alwaysbetterproductions.com Thanks very much.

- Craig
Craig Roblewsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2006, 11:29 AM   #29
New Boot

Got the instructions

Right after I posted that last message, Ken Freed sent me the instructions. Thanks.

- Craig
Craig Roblewsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2006, 11:39 AM   #30
Regular Crew

Dead pixel

Hi Everyone,
Pictures do not do justice to this beautiful looking camera.

I just received my HD101E and within few minutes of use, I got a white hot pixel in the down-left corner of the screen. If anyone can get me instructions on how to fix that via the service menu, I would appreciate it.
Thank you very much.

Johnnie

Last edited by Johnnie Behiri; May 11th, 2006 at 10:56 AM.
Johnnie Behiri is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems