High Res Stills at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old April 16th, 2006, 07:02 PM   #1
Regular Crew

High Res Stills

Hey All:

I heard that stills pulled from the JVC HD100 Camera shooting in 24P HDV are capable of being blown up and used as high res images. Can anyone confirm this? If so, is it comparable to an 8 (or higher) Megapixel still camera?

I'm on a shoot for a documentary and I was going to go purchase a 10 megapixel camera to take some stills, but perhaps there is no need if I can pull a still from my footage. I need to be able to blow up the image/still to a poster size.

Anyone ideas

Best,
Tommy
www.davis-gang.com
Tommy Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2006, 08:28 PM   #2
Regular Crew

It may hold up to some degree but in true "printing" terms there is not enough resolution.

Your image should have a minimum of 300dpi for best results. If you were to res your 1280x720 image from the HD100 to 300dpi for printing your image size would only be 4.267 inches x 2.4 inches. As you can see this is far from poster size. However, you can probably double that size and still have a decent image when printed. If the images from the HD100 were only part of the main layout they might be fine.
Tim Holtermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2006, 08:40 PM   #3
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Davis
Hey All:

I heard that stills pulled from the JVC HD100 Camera shooting in 24P HDV are capable of being blown up and used as high res images. Can anyone confirm this? If so, is it comparable to an 8 (or higher) Megapixel still camera?

I'm on a shoot for a documentary and I was going to go purchase a 10 megapixel camera to take some stills, but perhaps there is no need if I can pull a still from my footage. I need to be able to blow up the image/still to a poster size.

Anyone ideas

Best,
Tommy
www.davis-gang.com
I'd have to say it depends on your use of the stills. I just lifted some nice looking TIFF images out of HD100 shot at 720 30P. If you are needing production stills for continuity purposes, these will be more than adequate. If going to print media, Tim's advice is very solid. Not enough resolution to print at 300 dpi.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems