DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   setting the white balance (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/65589-setting-white-balance.html)

John Doran April 21st, 2006 07:08 AM

setting the white balance

I am not too sure how to set the white balance on this cam, i will be going from internal to external, how do i set this up please

john

Timothy McLin April 21st, 2006 08:42 AM

Unfortunately, as far as I know you can't really manually set your white balance, i.e. scroll through all the values and asign what you want to your WB switches.

Here's what you can do, hold down the status button to get to the menu and go to camera operation, in here you can set the "preset" at either 5600k or 3200k; I usually set this for whatever condition I'll shoot in the least. (5600k)

To set "A" and "B" you'll have to point the camera at a white object under the lighting conditions you'll be shooting your subject and press the AWB button under the lens. The camera will auto white balance to the switch that you're on, I try to have "A" at 3200k so I can switch between the two defaults at ease and use "B" for anything else that might come up.

You can also use Full Auto White if you want by going back into the menu and under switch mode setting it to one of the three WB switches, this will manually adjust your white balance as conditions change.

Hope this helps.

Timothy McLin April 21st, 2006 08:53 AM

Depending on the transition, you can set a switch for each condition and flip it if there'll be a break or it won't be noticeable or if you just plain don't mind the "jump" between the two levels. Or you can try setting one of the switches to FAW and see how that works for you.

John Doran April 21st, 2006 08:56 AM

Thankyou very much

jon

Stephen L. Noe April 21st, 2006 11:29 AM

For this scenario you need to set you switch for FAW. Or in other words, Full Auto White Balance. You'll find it in the menus. Once you set your switch to FAW, let the camera do the white balance for you on your in to out shot.

Nate Weaver April 21st, 2006 11:53 AM

You can also do a balance inside assigned to A, and a balance outside and assign to B.

Turn on "Smooth Transition" in the Camera Operation menu and when you bump between A and B on the switch, it'll be a nice, slow transition between the two.

Greg Boston April 21st, 2006 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nate Weaver
You can also do a balance inside assigned to A, and a balance outside and assign to B.

Turn on "Smooth Transition" in the Camera Operation menu and when you bump between A and B on the switch, it'll be a nice, slow transition between the two.

Neat feature. Wish the XL2 had it although it did a nice transistion from indoor to outdoor when I let it run auto for doing that SDI cable run clip at the HD Shootout. Much better than I expected it to.

See ya in a couple days!

-gb-