Broken Clips - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old June 5th, 2006, 01:47 AM   #61
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Beaty
... the TC error was not reproducible in FCPro. The TC break errors happened on the first capture, but rewinding and recapturing the same scene did not break... BUT, when a "stream error" occurs, that is reproducible.
That tells me: either there is a weakness in the FCP capture software or the TC break was a READ error while the Stream break was a WRITE error. Both Read and Write errors can be caused by a tape/head problem. However, a Write error could also be caused if for some reason a bad bit-stream was sent to the head.

Since it seems it's only FCP folks using Native HDV capture reporting problems, it would seem to be a software problem.

However, if other native NLEs have the problem, my best guess, based upon years of similar problems with Hi8, is that various "types" of tape problems are occurring.

With evaporated (ME) Hi8 tape, it was typically a missing patch that caused a DO. These DOs were "forever." So with ME one avoided repeated playings and NEVER jog/shuttled.

With metal partical (MP), it was typically junk that built-up. If recording, the error would be permanent. With MP one never let the tape stay in Record-Pause very long. If the playing, you could rewind and play again.

I suspect Sony understood this issue which is why they introduced HDV tape as a step above DV tape. After all, it was Sony's release of Super Quality Master ME Hi8 tape that finally made Hi8 useable. It took about three years to develop.
Old June 5th, 2006, 07:06 AM   #62
Major Player

We've been using Panasonic DVM63MQ Tape. We've never had any problems visually with the material dropping out. I'm open to trying anything. Perhaps another tape stock would help. Is anyone using the Sony HDV tape seeing the broken clips?

Dave Beaty
Dave Beaty is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems