Split Screen Effect Still Present! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old April 22nd, 2006, 04:11 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Split Screen Effect Still Present!

Hey everyone, as a recent owner of the jvc, one of the main problems people told me about was the split screen effect in low-light conditions. I was told that with the introduction of the U(A) model, that problem was one of a few that was going to be addressed and fixed. However, I was just playing around with it in my house and my heart sank when I noticed that same split screen effect that I thought was taken care of was very visibly present on the viewfinder and tv. What do you think should be done about this or can there be something done. Thanks
Alan Larsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2006, 04:19 PM   #2
Major Player

No thier can't be anything done. I have it on mine to, but it only shows up at 18db so I have my pre set at 15db at its highest point haven't had a problem since. Its a native problem to the progressive ccds so you just have to work around it and what would you use 18db for anyway, I never even get close to that high of a gain setting in anything I record.
Gary Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2006, 04:21 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I would argue that if you are even close to 18db gain you are using the wrong camera.
Tim Holtermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2006, 04:24 PM   #4
Wrangler

I just got my hands on an "A" version and that was the first thing I tested. I tried my best to induce SSE at 0dB, but was impressed that I couldn't. I managed to do it at +12, but once again was very difficult and the extent of the SSE was night and day compared to the way it used to be.
My understanding is that the "fix" to this problem is proper calibration, which is dependent on a technician spending a couple hours on it.

What dB level were you using when you saw it.
Old April 22nd, 2006, 04:33 PM   #5
Major Player

SSE fix not part of "A" upgrade...

Agreed, (maybe stay away from 18db) although I've never observed an SSE with my camera, I've heard that it only shows up with the right shooting/visual conditions present. It's not a problem that is there all of the time (like a plasma screen burn in).

The manual addresses the issue and I never heard anyone say from JVC that the SSE would be solved with the "A" version. The A upgrade is a firmware upgrade that adds battery monitoring (Anton Bauer) and NLE digitizing adjustments. See JVC website www.jvc.com .

However, if you're seeing the SSE below 18db you might call JVC. They've been very helpful and responsive to a lot of camera owners.

Don't let your heart sink.....
Old April 22nd, 2006, 04:51 PM   #6
Trustee

Whether you have an "A" model or pre "A" model the rules still apply. You'll have to white balance your camera and turn it on for a couple of minutes. Try the routine and then please report back the findings.

I have tried and tried to get SSE on my "A" model and it just is not there and frankly I'd forgotten about it. You can always get the camera calibrated again if need be.
Stephen L. Noe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2006, 05:05 PM   #7
Regular Crew

thanks everyone for their feedback, I have found the SSE at 0db but sometimes it shows up and sometimes it doesnt. And it's all in the same lighting conditions. I will definitely try to white balance and leave the camera running for a few minutes and give a reply back. I bought 2 of these cameras so I will have to test the other one along with this one to see if there is any difference.
Old April 22nd, 2006, 05:53 PM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Larsen
thanks everyone for their feedback, I have found the SSE at 0db but sometimes it shows up and sometimes it doesnt. And it's all in the same lighting conditions. I will definitely try to white balance and leave the camera running for a few minutes and give a reply back. I bought 2 of these cameras so I will have to test the other one along with this one to see if there is any difference.
Alan,

At 0db there is a problem. I would get it calibrated.
Stephen L. Noe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2006, 06:02 PM   #9
Major Player

Definitely!
Gary Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2006, 12:28 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Ok, I will look into getting it calibrated. Is this process something i have to pay for or will jvc just do it for free if i give them a call. If I have to pay for it that pretty much sucks because I bought these new cameras expecting them to work right especially for their price.
Old April 23rd, 2006, 01:06 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Alan, I had the same problem as you. Just call the guys at the Cypress location and tell them about your split screen. It needs to be calibrated. The A upgrade has nothing to do with that and they don't even look into that issue when updating a camera. Mine is great now but it took about 9 days.
Mike
Mike Testin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2006, 05:46 AM   #12
Inner Circle

The SSE seems to be rather like the old tube video cameras, you needed to do a line up to get them into registration.

With the HD100 it seems best to test the camera for SSE when you purchase the camera and if it's not up to standard, get it back to JVC to re-calibration.

In the longer term, it'll be interesting to see if the calibration drifts with time. Chances are it will, and cameras will need to be sent in to be re-calibrated every so often. The important thing will be that JVC can manage a turnaround time appropriate for professional equipment just being calibrated.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2006, 09:34 AM   #13
Regular Crew

thanks everyone again for their information. I guess I will call up jvc it's just kind of annoying because I sent back my first camera because there was something wrong with it and they sent me a new one and now I'm going to have to send this one back to get calibrated. Lol i wish there was an easier way to do things. You guys have been very helpful, it's nice to know there is a community out there for questions such as these.
Old April 23rd, 2006, 10:19 AM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Larsen
Ok, I will look into getting it calibrated. Is this process something i have to pay for or will jvc just do it for free if i give them a call. If I have to pay for it that pretty much sucks because I bought these new cameras expecting them to work right especially for their price.
If it's less than 30 days old try using the JVC Perfect Experience guarantee. They'll ship you a new one and yours send your back in their packaging (I think) at their cost.

http://pro.jvc.com/prof/support/pepolicy.jsp
Joel Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2006, 05:24 PM   #15
Major Player

I had a very early camera and when I sent mine in for an update I also asked them to check calibration because I was seeing SSE fairly easily. To my surprise they replaced the motherboard without explanation. It's MUCH more difficult to stimulate the effect now.
Warren Shultz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems