JVC 720 apple editor? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old April 24th, 2006, 04:31 AM   #1
Regular Crew

JVC 720 apple editor?

http://www.avid.com/products/media-C...itor/index.asp

Looks like avid will now support dhv on mac?
Jeff Morrissette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2006, 12:23 PM   #2
Wrangler

on the show floor right now. Apple is demoing HD100 24P in FCP, but calling it for 'an imminent release'.

Of course no comment on when!
Old April 24th, 2006, 12:57 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Morrissette
http://www.avid.com/products/media-C...itor/index.asp

Looks like avid will now support dhv on mac?
Jeff, I wonder if the new Avid Media Composer will capture HDV 24/p?? It should it starts at $5k. Not cheap.

I undertand that Avid now edits GOP splicing in HDV like in FCP. That should help speed things up.
Old April 24th, 2006, 01:36 PM   #4
Regular Crew

From what I understand it does 24p. I wonder, for the price, the difference between avid xpress pro and media composer for the laptop? besides better hd support. DO yo know if it comes with the mojo sdi?
Old April 24th, 2006, 02:24 PM   #5
Major Player

Based on past Avid pricing i bet not. They usually sell Mojo separately or in a package called Xpress Studio. (Includes audio board, EFX sfotware etc) The main difference I can tell is that Media Composer has this collaboration module called Interplay, that allows editors to see what other editors have changed to timelines, bins, efx etc. I you don't collobarate with other editors and stations then I bet Xpress Pro HD does 95% of what you need.

Avid Xpress pro HD will still edit HDV, DVC Pro HD for the PC and I think Mac HD will have few more presets than PC. Hopefully v 5.5 will be able to edit HDV 24p from JVC 100. It currently does DVC Pro HD 720p but I have yet to hear specifically that it does long GOP 24p. Hopefully it will.

XDCam, P2, but overall both Composer and Xpress will both work with Mojo SDI. But the Mojo is so overpriced, $2,500!!! (Just my opinion) Aja and black magic are so much more affordable.

Cheers
Old April 24th, 2006, 05:52 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Parks
But the Mojo is so overpriced, $2,500!!! (Just my opinion) Aja and black magic are so much more affordable.
Except, of course, on Avid you don't have the choice to go with AJA or Black Magic because Avid will not recognise those boards.
Old April 24th, 2006, 06:35 PM   #7
Major Player

That is absolutely right. I wish they would change their mindset about adopting more of an open standard, ie injest/output cards. It took them years to get to the point where you didn't have to use their hard drives. I really thought they would come out with a more competitive offering to Apple FCP and Adobe Premiere (Both adopting we make the software and you scale to the best hardware) and pricing.

They missed an opportunity to really appeal to smaller shops and indie film makers. I have been on Avid since 1993. That may have to change.
Old April 24th, 2006, 06:47 PM   #8
Regular Crew

but....They do have the mojo and the new sdi mojo. however.

What is kinda nice is I get the impression that the laptop media composer will accept the adrenaline firewire plug in for more power. I dont know if this is true but if it is -they just came a long way.

Although I use both I have preferred avid for some time now and, except for the price, I am excited to see what they will have in store for the next year.

To have a full HD/SDI, firewire mojo on a laptop with media composer software is awsome. It's basically a portable studio HD studio. Now to put that on the new mactel laptop- now that's a spicy meatball!

I just wish you could put more than 2 gigs of ram in it.
Old April 24th, 2006, 07:05 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Morrissette
but....They do have the mojo and the new sdi mojo. however.

What is kinda nice is I get the impression that the laptop media composer will accept the adrenaline firewire plug in for more power. I dont know if this is true but if it is -they just came a long way.

Although I use both I have preferred avid for some time now and, except for the price, I am excited to see what they will have in store for the next year.

To have a full HD/SDI, firewire mojo on a laptop with media composer software is awsome. It's basically a portable studio HD studio. Now to put that on the new mactel laptop- now that's a spicy meatball!

I just wish you could put more than 2 gigs of ram in it.

Although the Portable HD part is really cool I'm not sure that the Mojo SDI is HD/SDI, I think it is only SD/SDI... I need to double check. Which means you could output to DigiBeta. Otherwise you need a converter from SDSDI to HD/SDI in both directions.

I'm an old dog and I will probably always prefer Avid for it's media management alone is super solid.
Old April 24th, 2006, 07:12 PM   #10
Regular Crew

I'm an old dog and I will probably always prefer Avid for it's media management alone is super solid.[/QUOTE]

Ament to that brother. Organization is very important. However doesn't SDI carry HD? or can you only do that with component??

I would hope the new mojo can do all the connections.
Old April 24th, 2006, 07:31 PM   #11
Major Player

Avid Mojo SDI

http://www.avid.com/company/releases...spro_avid.html

I'm pretty sure based on this press release that when they refer to SD and not HD that it is SD/SDI.
Mojo pretty much has been a standard scaled I/O since the beginning. I also I'm pretty sure that DVC Pro HD and HDV is handled IEEE 1394 firewire for I/O.

Maybe next year..
Cheers...
Old April 24th, 2006, 09:39 PM   #12
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Hopefully v 5.5 will be able to edit HDV 24p from JVC 100. It currently does DVC Pro HD 720p but I have yet to hear specifically that it does long GOP 24p.

Amazingly, at the Avid both today I was told neither Liquid V7 nor 5.5 will support 24p from the JVC! If these guys were right, I find this bizzare. Equally bizarre were their reasons. None of then knew JVC was MPEG-2 complient in their 2:3 pulldown mode -- although I do give credit to the Avid guy who knew the Canon's 24F was even more exotic.

They did know about the work arounds, yet could not explain how tiny companies could support 24p when Avid has had 24p nearly forever yet could do it for the JVC.

Either there is something political going on -- or both Apple and Avid want to do 60p support -- with 24p as part of it. That really does make sense, but it is frustrating to keep being put-off.
Old April 24th, 2006, 09:52 PM   #13
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Mullen
Amazingly, at the Avid both today I was told neither Liquid V7 nor 5.5 will support 24p from the JVC! If these guys were right, I find this bizzare. Equally bizarre were their reasons. None of then knew JVC was MPEG-2 complient in their 2:3 pulldown mode -- although I do give credit to the Avid guy who knew the Canon's 24F was even more exotic.

They did know about the work arounds, yet could not explain how tiny companies could support 24p when Avid has had 24p nearly forever yet could do it for the JVC.

Either there is something political going on -- or both Apple and Avid want to do 60p support -- with 24p as part of it. That really does make sense, but it is frustrating to keep being put-off.
Steve, You probably know as well as I do those guys are full of shiznit. Liquid 7 edits the 24p film workflow all the way through film out. I gave a demonstration at the Chicago ProHD user group meeting in March of all the JVC workflows (HDTV, DVD and Filmout) in all of the available frame rates the camera can produce. Capture to edit on the timeline to dump back to tape (deck or camera) for JVC's 24p. Avid should know and be touting that Liquid is the only editor that can do it (currently) without a transcode or outside helper apps. JVC knows it for sure. I've demo'd it for their rep in Chicago at SMS.

S.Noe

BTW: See if you can find James Daniels (JVC) who has seen the workflows with his own eyes.
Stephen L. Noe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2006, 06:44 AM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Mullen

I'm very surprised that both Avid and Apple didn't have 24p close to shipping solutions for the HD 100. I guess developing presets and workflows for all of these new baby HD cameras no mention (All four of them encode and handle 24 frames differently) all pratically in the same year was too much for them. So maybe they are waiting for the target to stop moving...and relying on 3rd parties to firgue it out.

Stephen, On Avid's website I could of swore that they said in the tech specs for Liquid v7 that it supported 25p but not 24p (sorry I don't have the link I'll double check)
And that Liquid didn't support 24p capture from tape for the 100. Maybe Avid hasn't updated the info. I'm not familiar with Liquid though.
Old April 25th, 2006, 06:57 AM   #15
Trustee

Quote:
... that Liquid didn't support 24p capture from tape for the 100. Maybe Avid hasn't updated the info. I'm not familiar with Liquid though.
Hi David,

They haven't updated their info. 24p film workflow and dump to tape with Liquid 7. I demonstrated it in March for JVC and the members of the Chicago ProHD user group. Also I cut a film on Liquid and had it transferred in February. Somehow Marketing and Engineering don't talk to each other.
Stephen L. Noe is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems