What about new lenses? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old May 3rd, 2006, 10:36 PM   #16
Major Player
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Letch
And have the extra 1 x multiplication at the wide end.
It gets just as tight as the current lens, it just goes a little wider.
Stephan Ahonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2006, 10:49 PM   #17
Major Player
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Maryland, USA
Posts: 696
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Letch
Daniel, awesome if that is the case, I was about to say this is the lens to watch for most of the JVC users, with the price bracket etc. And have the extra 1 x multiplication at the wide end. Still being real, not expecting it to beat a $10000 lens in quality, but obviously a improvement over the $800 lense!
Adam,

Yeah I asked the JVC rep in the NAB booth to compare the "free" lens, the new 17x ($3K) and the new higher end $10K lens (19x I believe).

He said that the 17x was a big improvement over the free lens, but not near what the $10K lens will be like. He put it on par with the current 13x lens.

Dan Weber
Daniel Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2006, 12:04 AM   #18
2nd Unit TV
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 509
We just received the HA27x6.5ESM lens today, purchased for the long throw we need for sports shots, and it'll be in the field tomorrw for testing. If there's any interest, I'l post the results after the shoot.
Jonathan
Jonathan Ames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2006, 04:47 AM   #19
Major Player
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 414
If you were shooting with a jamjar lense i'd be interested

that would be great Jonathon, is this a 2/3inch lens? Any and all footage is appreciated, especially as the standard lens as good as it is at it's price point, seems to be the achilles heel. And all other options are of great interest. I haven't checked today, but I think you were revamping your website? is this correct as it didn't have all the links it originally had the 1st time I visited it. Look forward to see the progress with the 2nd unit production. As always, appreciate your effort and time on the forum.
Adam Letch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2006, 04:55 AM   #20
Major Player
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 414
Th17x5BRM - Fujinon

Daniel,
all I can say is October was it? Seems all to far away for the new units, and is it the lenses also? Did the rep say they are waiting for the new cameras or are the lenses being released prior?
looks like the overall zoom range is a little different, the 17x being 5 - 85, and the 16 x being 5.5 to 88.
In anycase, I'm sure I'll get to appreciate the 16x at the moment until then.
Adam Letch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2006, 09:09 AM   #21
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 72
sold where

anybody know where the 17x ($3K) lens is being sold. What are the improvements in the lens? etc..
Yoochul Chong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2006, 09:10 AM   #22
Major Player
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Weber
Yeah I asked the JVC rep in the NAB booth to compare the "free" lens, the new 17x ($3K) and the new higher end $10K lens (19x I believe).

He said that the 17x was a big improvement over the free lens, but not near what the $10K lens will be like. He put it on par with the current 13x lens.
Looking at the Fujinon designation for that 19x, it looks to be one really sweet all-purpose lens. It's HTs19x42BRM-M48, so the HTs prefix instead of the Th prefix must mean it's in the high-end HD range and it's pretty wide at 4.2 mm yet still goes all the way to 80 mm at telephoto.

Regarding the 17x, in post #8 of this thread Ken said it will not be out until maybe September of this year. So no one is selling it right now.
Tim Le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2006, 10:13 AM   #23
2nd Unit TV
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Letch
that would be great Jonathon, is this a 2/3inch lens? Any and all footage is appreciated, especially as the standard lens as good as it is at it's price point, seems to be the achilles heel. And all other options are of great interest. I haven't checked today, but I think you were revamping your website? is this correct as it didn't have all the links it originally had the 1st time I visited it. Look forward to see the progress with the 2nd unit production. As always, appreciate your effort and time on the forum.
Thanks for your "thank you". As for the site, we received so many ideas at NAB at our party and talking with both mfg reps and Board members afterward that we did a fiscal to see what it would cost us to enlarge and substantially modify the site to be the first Web TV site dealing directly with the independent filmmaker. The result is we decided to put the extra money into it to move it from a simple report on what can be done with the sub-$10k cameras to one that deals with a number of the issues that the independent filmmaker deals with today with guest commentators from the ASC, DGA, WGA and others. We really believe in education and that today's independent filmmaker is tomorrow's feature filmer. From books to boards, Douglas Spotted Eagle and others and Chris and Jared have done so much to educate the indie community through the written word that we felt a video site was in order that could, through it's guests, help educate future filkmmakers. It's not a Board but more a channel; a vehicle to drive education and interested people to Boards like this where they can discuss and expand on what they have seen on the channel. It's alot more money and time than we first envisioned and we've hired two more people to deal with it but we feel that the money will be well-spent and that the visitors will get alot out of it. As an example, Rush just finished producing a DVD set that, for lack of a better explanation, teaches prople how to be a better filmmaker. One of the segments is going to have Rush discussing that series and showing a bit of the lessons on-line and then telling people how they can find it if they're so inclined. Another will have George Dibie discussing how he really brought video to television with his innovative lighting and camerawork. A better explanation is at www.dvx-2ndunit.com and we hope you enjoy it when it comes out in June. But there's alot to do between now and then.
Jonathan Ames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2006, 07:48 PM   #24
2nd Unit TV
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ames
We just received the HA27x6.5ESM lens today, purchased for the long throw we need for sports shots, and it'll be in the field tomorrw for testing. If there's any interest, I'l post the results after the shoot.
Jonathan
I have to apologize. We received the Fujinon HA 21x7.8 BERM lens, not the HA 27 (bad handwriting on my part). That being said, the 21 is an incredible lens for the money. We tested today at Willow Springs in North LA County and what a clear HD result. I'll be posting some footage as soon as we figure out the best scheme to use in exporting footage for the web. Any suggestions from those of you who have posted some great footage here???
Jonathan Ames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2007, 01:43 PM   #25
Major Player
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: california North and South
Posts: 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Weber View Post
Adam,

Yeah I asked the JVC rep in the NAB booth to compare the "free" lens, the new 17x ($3K) and the new higher end $10K lens (19x I believe).

He said that the 17x was a big improvement over the free lens, but not near what the $10K lens will be like. He put it on par with the current 13x lens.

Dan Weber
If it's on par with the 13x, then that's good enough for me. Makes me wonder how the $10k lens is.
Alex Humphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2007, 03:16 PM   #26
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Humphrey View Post
If it's on par with the 13x, then that's good enough for me. Makes me wonder how the $10k lens is.
Is Ken Freed's list still accurate? I'm sure the prices aren't, but how about inventory? Anything new?
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2007, 03:58 PM   #27
Major Player
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: california North and South
Posts: 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Luce View Post
Is Ken Freed's list still accurate? I'm sure the prices aren't, but how about inventory? Anything new?
Prices as per BH photo video out of NY as of today.. just checked. pic of the Th17x5BRM doesn't look right.. probably just a webpage thing...

Th13x35BRMU - Fujinon - $6,599 - in stock
HTs18x42BRM-M48 - Fujinon - (NOT 19x) $8,999 special order 2-4 weeks
Th17x5BRM - Fujinon - maybe $2,999 - special order 7-14 days
KT20x58KRS - Canon - maybe $8,999 - special order
Alex Humphrey is offline   Reply
Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 



Google
 

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:14 AM.


DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2017 The Digital Video Information Network