16mm lens for JVC-HD200U? or super 16mm? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old April 26th, 2006, 10:46 AM   #1
Regular Crew

16mm lens for JVC-HD200U? or super 16mm?

16mm is a 4:3, right?

So if you're using a 4:3 16mm prime lens with the JVC-HD200U (which is native 16:9) then isn't the lens blocking some of the image from the 16:9 CCD?

Or maybe it doesn't work like that? Anybody?

Seems like it would make more sense to use a Super 16mm lens.
Like this:http://www.cookeoptics.com/cooke.nsf/secondary/sk4
Michael Totten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2006, 11:18 AM   #2
Wrangler

Reimagers like the Mini35 and the new JVC unit can make the image any size they like.

The ground glass has to be a specific size to fit within the image circle that the 16mm lens projects, but the relay optics on the backside will size that groundglass image to the necessary size for the HD100 CCDs.

In other words, no worries.
Old April 26th, 2006, 11:55 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate Weaver
Reimagers like the Mini35 and the new JVC unit can make the image any size they like.

The ground glass has to be a specific size to fit within the image circle that the 16mm lens projects, but the relay optics on the backside will size that groundglass image to the necessary size for the HD100 CCDs.

In other words, no worries.

I'm really trying to AVOID using the mini-35 adapter, cinemek ect... I don't want to spend any more money than I have too. Not to mention the light loss and SIZE of 35mm adapters.

Maybe I'm still misunderstanding how this works.
I was under the impression that in unison with the NEW lens adapter (HZ-CA13U) I would be able to mount a 16mm cine lens DIRECTLY onto the camera. (NO GLASS IN BETWEEN). Is this correct? I can use Super 16mm cine lens in the same way?

Or does the new HZ-CA13U adapter actually utilize relay glass itself? I envisioned it as a metal bracket that allowed PL mounting.

Where am I missing?
Old April 26th, 2006, 01:26 PM   #4
New Boot

Chip size would still be small so 16mm lens depth will not look like the 35mm adapter depth. The PL mount is encouraging though. Will this camera have the same size chips as the 100?
Drew Buchanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2006, 02:15 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Even the DOF on 1/2" and 2//3" inch chips is not the same as 35mm. If you really want that look you will need to use and adaptor like the RedRock or get a full framed 35mm sensor.

However, being able to put on some high quality Super 16mm lenses which are very available on this camera is outstanding.
Tim Holtermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2006, 02:57 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Doesn't the JVC have a 1/3 inch sensor? I think the image area of 16mm film is slightly larger than a 2/3 inch video imager (16:9), so I'm pretty sure it'll cover. You won't be getting 16mm DOF though, and you may have back focus problems. The Panavision site (sorry, can't remember the link) has a PDF showing the size of various formats. You might want to check it out to help you visualize this.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2006, 09:49 PM   #7
Barry Wan Kenobi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Leavitt
Doesn't the JVC have a 1/3 inch sensor? I think the image area of 16mm film is slightly larger than a 2/3 inch video imager (16:9), so I'm pretty sure it'll cover.
Correct, 16mm is more like the size of a 1/2" sensor. The 1/3" chip on the JVC is somewhere around 4.8mm x 2.7mm, vs. the 16mm frame which is 10mm x 7.5 mm.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2006, 12:29 AM   #8
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Green
The 1/3" chip on the JVC is somewhere around 4.8mm x 2.7mm, vs. the 16mm frame which is 10mm x 7.5 mm.

According to a JVC rep, the adaptor has a lens -- or lens system -- that provides a 0.46X image reduction. Which would be about right given your numbers.

He claimed, there is no ground glass taget -- rather, the lens -- or lens system -- simply alters the light path coming from the mounted lens so that it lands on the CCD prism.

Don't ask me if he's right about an adaptor working that way. It seems so obvious, yet too good to be true.
Old April 27th, 2006, 03:00 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Mullen
According to a JVC rep, the adaptor has a lens -- or lens system -- that provides a 0.46X image reduction. Which would be about right given your numbers.

He claimed, there is no ground glass taget -- rather, the lens -- or lens system -- simply alters the light path coming from the mounted lens so that it lands on the CCD prism.

Don't ask me if he's right about an adaptor working that way. It seems so obvious, yet too good to be true.
Is JVC going to provide a handle like the Aaton or Arri for hand holding with the film lens, or will this be left to third party manufacturers?

I'm asking because the handle is currently built into the video lens.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2006, 09:33 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:

Is it possible to use a Super 16mm lens with JVC's new adapter?
Old April 27th, 2006, 03:22 PM   #11
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Totten
Is it possible to use a Super 16mm lens with JVC's new adapter?
That's what it's designed for. S16 Arri lenses.
Old April 27th, 2006, 03:28 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Quote:
That's what it's designed for. S16 Arri lenses.
Thanks for the clarification.
Maybe I read the JVC press release wrong. I thought it said 16mm, not Super-16mm. I thought it'd make a difference?
Old April 27th, 2006, 03:36 PM   #13
Inner Circle

So does this mean the image will have the same characteristics as the Super16 lens -- DOF, angle of view, level of distortion?
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2006, 07:49 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Leavitt
So does this mean the image will have the same characteristics as the Super16 lens -- DOF, angle of view, level of distortion?
Thats what JVC says...almost too good to be true, a digital super 16mm camera! =)
Soroush Shahrokni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2006, 07:58 PM   #15
Capt. Quirk

Which would be the better lens in general? The Super 16, or the 13x Fuji? What are decent lenses, and what might they cost?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems