Power Supply Decision at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old April 26th, 2006, 10:49 AM   #1
Major Player

Power Supply Decision

I'm buying 2 HD-100s and I have some battery decisions. One camera will be run off & on for 6-8 hours per event and for that camera I definately can justify the IDX solution.

But the other camera will be run for just 2 to 2-1/2 hours per event. (only 90mins continuously at the max.) My lights have thier own power supply and so the only power requirement would be to run the camera. Using the largest available direct plug-in type of Lithium Ion Battery Pack available for this camera could I get by? If I had two of them? What is the largest capacity direct plug-in style of battery I can get for this camera? How much continuous run time can you get out of it? Anyone using a brand other than JVC with greater than 3800 mAh?

Thanks-
Craig Terott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2006, 09:45 AM   #2
Major Player

Can someone check my calculations?

HD100 power consumption = 17Watts/8Volts = 2.125Amps

battery pack 3800mAh = 3.800Ah

3.800Ah/2.125A = 1.788h

So my estimate is that I should be able to get between 1-1/2 - 2 hours out of the 3800 mAh battery pack?
Old April 27th, 2006, 10:33 AM   #3
New Boot

I have been using the standard 2800mah battery on my HD -100 as I'm waiting for my Anton Bauer Mount to come in. The amount of time I get from the 2800mah battery varies from about 40 to 60 minutes of use, depending on whether or not you are using the LCD screen or viewfinder, recording or not. I would say that you would be lucky to get 90 minutes out of the 3800mah battery. Hope that helps!
Doug Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2006, 10:37 AM   #4
Major Player

lol,make your own,I did and I don't even own one ;-)

http://www.glasseye.com.au/hd101e/battery.htm
Guy Barwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2006, 10:59 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Harvey
I have been using the standard 2800mah battery on my HD -100 as I'm waiting for my Anton Bauer Mount to come in. The amount of time I get from the 2800mah battery varies from about 40 to 60 minutes of use, depending on whether or not you are using the LCD screen or viewfinder, recording or not. I would say that you would be lucky to get 90 minutes out of the 3800mah battery. Hope that helps!
Thanks Doug for the "real world" input.

Check out this 4800mAh knock off. (I've had good luck with the knock offs. I have an 7hour battery for my PD-170 that I've cycled a ga-zillion times since 2003 and it just won't die.)

http://www.ibsa.com/estore/search.as...CRank%7C1&js=1

I'm just looking for a cheaper alternative to the IDX for the 2nd camera which won't exceed 2-1/2 hrs per event.
Old April 27th, 2006, 11:03 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Barwood

http://www.glasseye.com.au/hd101e/battery.htm
Guy, of course you know you put a lot of weight on that camera's battery mounts? But still - ur a genious!
Old April 27th, 2006, 11:06 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Harvey

Doug,

(I'm leaning towards) IDX over Anteon Bauer because of the way the IDX mounts. It tilts away from the shoulder and seems like it's a more thoughtful design. When you get your Anteon could you follow up and let me know if it feels restrictive at all for movement or if it comes in contact or rubs your shoulder? I'd like to know your opinion. Thanks-
Old May 3rd, 2006, 10:32 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Terott
Thanks Doug for the "real world" input.

Check out this 4800mAh knock off. (I've had good luck with the knock offs. I have an 7hour battery for my PD-170 that I've cycled a ga-zillion times since 2003 and it just won't die.)

http://www.ibsa.com/estore/search.as...CRank%7C1&js=1

I'm just looking for a cheaper alternative to the IDX for the 2nd camera which won't exceed 2-1/2 hrs per event.

Craig - Thanks for the link -
Ram Ganesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2006, 12:31 PM   #9
Major Player

One has to wonder why JVC just doesn't produce a higher-capacity battery pack. Not everyone has the budget for an IDX or AB system.
Old May 4th, 2006, 12:34 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Barwood
Very resourceful. How long does that sucker take to charge?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems