How's the zoom control? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old April 29th, 2006, 08:41 AM   #1
Major Player

How's the zoom control?

Now that I can actually record 720/60p, I think I might get one of these. I'm a sports photographer, so the high frame rate and a fully-manual lens are extremely important to me. I know that when I tried shooting sports on an XL1 I hated it, the lens just couldn't keep up with me, and I had a list of pet peeves about the lens a mile long.

But I was just wondering, how's the zoom control on the JVC stock lens? How fast does it go from full wide to full tele, and how good is it at doing very fine creeping zooms?
Stephan Ahonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2006, 10:19 AM   #2
Trustee

It can crawl real slow.
If you need to do real fast zooms why not disable the rocker and go manual.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2006, 10:38 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Thomas
It can crawl real slow.
If you need to do real fast zooms why not disable the rocker and go manual.
Yeah, that's what I have done in the past when I'm stuck with a slow servo. In fact when I shoot pro sports for live broadcast all the zooms on the big studio cameras are full manual. It's just nice to have a good fast zoom servo when you're shooting handheld.
Stephan Ahonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2006, 08:19 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I bought HD100's and I use them to shoot conferences and meetings, and I had to buy JVC focus and zoom controllers and they are nice. I like zoom. It is fast enough, allmost as fast as manual control. I do not know speed in seconds.
Andrey Sherbina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2006, 10:28 AM   #5
Major Player

Stephan are you going to use a different lense? The stock one shows CA after about 75% zoom. I do use it and try never to go in that far, until I get an adapter and the S16 lense setup.
Mark Silva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2006, 11:31 AM   #6
Major Player

I might stick with the stock lens for a while until I can afford high quality glass. I flipped through the Canon catalog and thought I found one I wanted until I noticed it was $25,000. Eek.
Stephan Ahonen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems