DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   The Ultimate HD100 Gear List (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/66229-ultimate-hd100-gear-list.html)

Tim Holtermann April 29th, 2006 12:29 PM

The Ultimate HD100 Gear List

One of my missions at NAB this year was to look at every thing that would compliment the HD100 on various types of shoots. More importantly gear that would server the HD100 well at various price levels and was the most flexible in use.

For Example, can I use my wireless audio system with on board HD100 power, connect a lav to it, shotgun to it, take my shotgun wireless on a pole with shockmount, etc. all for a reasonable price. What package would give us this?

So can I ask that we all take some time to add to this thread by posting our equipment experience and suggestion on best audio, on board lighting, batteries, tripods, filters, etc.?

Nate Weaver April 29th, 2006 01:53 PM

Well, since I just put together a session on HDV accessories for NAB, I'll chime in here. I set aside parts of my slideshow for "The High End".

On the subject of zoom controls, I nominate the Preston Microforce. It's a zoom controller originally marketed in the film world, but later they made cables to control broadcast zoom lenses. New ones are $3500-ish, used ones are $1100-ish. They're tough as nails and last forever.

Best on-camera monitor short of a $12k Astro monitor is the Marshall V-R70PHDA. Frankly, it's the only game in town to get a HD LCD on your camera for less than the cost of two HD100s. It's around $1500.

What is "best" for a particular person is always going to be different. Consider my bits above to be from the perspective of "best for the guy who used to put together $100K film cameras all the time, but now wants the best he can afford for his personal camera"

John Doran April 29th, 2006 02:31 PM

wireless bracket.

The bracket for the wireless mic is a silly price, so i got our Engineering Department to design one, it screws on to the IDX battery holder and looks the business, with under half the price.
Pics and price on request

john,
Ireland.

Tim Holtermann April 29th, 2006 02:35 PM

Don't tease us...lets see this adaptor :)

Werner Wesp April 29th, 2006 04:11 PM

... quite indeed

Warren Shultz April 29th, 2006 04:22 PM

I specifically went to look at the Marshall V-R70PHDA Nate mentions. It looks GOOD. I want one for my HD100.

I also finally got to check out the wide angle Fuji. I'd dearly love to add that to my lens kit. (Is it a kit already if all I have is the stock lens and wide adapter?)

Jiri Bakala April 29th, 2006 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Doran
The bracket for the wireless mic is a silly price, so i got our Engineering Department to design one, it screws on to the IDX battery holder and looks the business, with under half the price.
Pics and price on request

john,
Ireland.

Apparently, there might be some buyers here...(I for one am looking for a solution). Please, show us some pics and let us know the price.

Jonathan Ames April 29th, 2006 07:49 PM

Mike Pellagatti made a few for our rigs and give me a minute to shoot as pic. Be right back.

Andrey Sherbina April 29th, 2006 08:05 PM

I just ordered one VR70PHDA Marshal monitor ($1350.00) from B&H three days ago, and can not wait to use it. Another accessory for HD 100 would be Chroszeil matte box and rod support system ($1600).

Nate Weaver April 29th, 2006 08:27 PM

I have the Chrosziel mattebox 450 kit. I wouldn't recommend anything else.

Jonathan Ames April 29th, 2006 08:36 PM

OK, my dedication to the board speaks for itself. Unselfishly, I'll jump on the Harley and head up to Circuit City for a media card I thought I had but don't. Is there nothing I won't do for the good of the board!?!?!?!?!?!??!!?! OK Just kidding but I do have to go get a media card for the Cool Pix because mike's invention is cheap and works great! And it give me an opportuity to take a ride on a great evening here in the high desert of California. Back in a while!!!

Warren Shultz April 29th, 2006 08:44 PM

I have the Chroziel too and love it. Don't have the follow focus yet but hopefully soon.

I saw a couple of "home made" devices Mike Pellegatti came up with for his HD100 that were quite good. I'm hoping he'll jump on the board and show some of them after Jonathan posts a couple of pics.

Jonathan Ames April 29th, 2006 10:49 PM

OK. Great ride but now back to business. Here are some pics of the Pellagatti Plate. It's simply a piece of aluminum about 3X6 with two holes drilled through which screw mount it to the IDX battery plate. On the aluminum is velcro. Attach complimentary velcro strips to the wireless receivers and voila, instant mounting brackets that don't interfere wiht the "D" connection required for the hot-shoe light like the $300 IDX plate does. Let me know if anyone wants these and Muike and I will get them out to you. An easy fix for a couple of bucks.

OK, don't know how to attach fotos here so head over to www.DVx-2ndUnit.com, click on "The Equipment" and then on "The Short List". We're in the middle of building this site so I dumped the pix there for a couple of days. The installation is so simple, a couple of extras from central casting dressed as bears can do it. OK, my daughter thought it would be cute to include the bears so bear (pun definitely intended) with me. The fathers out there will know of what I speak