DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   Andrew Young's NAB Presentation (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/66240-andrew-youngs-nab-presentation.html)

Warren Shultz April 29th, 2006 04:30 PM

Andrew Young's NAB Presentation

How many of you got to see Andrew's presentation at NAB? Is there any doubt this is a great camera after seeing what he dished out and it took?

I wonder if he still has his gorilla glued lens. It looked permanent. In the presentation it looked like he was changing lenses a couple of times and I was wondering what he was using when he was shooting all those strange bug-eyed critters. I just thought it looked stunning.

The problem was I kept getting pulled into the story of the trip and kept forgetting that I was watching to evaluate the footage.

Tim Dashwood April 29th, 2006 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warren Shultz
In the presentation it looked like he was changing lenses a couple of times and I was wondering what he was using when he was shooting all those strange bug-eyed critters. I just thought it looked stunning.

Andrew should really be answering this, but until he checks in I'll take a crack at it. I think he had the Zoerk (or is it Zörk?) Nikon adapter, and was using long Nikon lenses to achieve those superb close-ups of critters.

Quote:

The problem was I kept getting pulled into the story of the trip and kept forgetting that I was watching to evaluate the footage.

That's the point though isn't it? A good story is a good story no matter what the format.

Warren Shultz April 29th, 2006 06:17 PM

Exactly! It's about the story!

Is that adapter the custom made one I've been hearing about?

Tim Dashwood April 29th, 2006 06:28 PM

Quote:

Exactly! It's about the story!

Is that adapter the custom made one I've been hearing about?

Les Bosher made a custom one for somebody a while back, but I think Zoerk had already been selling their's since October. I think Yusuf Thakur also used the Zoerk.

Chris Hurd April 29th, 2006 06:39 PM

Quote:

How many of you got to see Andrew's presentation at NAB?

Here's my two cents:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showpost....61&postcount=4

And Tim's:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showpost....30&postcount=7

Mmmm... slow roasted HD100... rroowwrgghh...

Warren Shultz April 29th, 2006 07:21 PM

I was there Monday and Tuesday and visited the JVC booth three times looking for some familiar names. To my frustration I didn't see ANY of you guys anywhere!

At least I put the face with Andrew. And I reacted with everyone else at the leaches and foot rot sections! eeuuwww!

Joe Bowey April 29th, 2006 08:19 PM

Warren I was there along with 10000 others. It was a very crowded booth.

Warren Shultz April 29th, 2006 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe Bowey
Warren I was there along with 10000 others. It was a very crowded booth.

That it was. By next year I'll know more of you all anyway.

Mark Silva April 30th, 2006 10:16 AM

Does andrew have any intention of releasing this footage?

I'd sure like to see it.

Could he not author it in DVD Studio Pro as an HD-DVD and burn it on DVD-R?

I'd buy it. :)

Pete Bauer April 30th, 2006 11:19 AM

Mark, hard to say whether Andrew will release versions of the footage on his own. He said he was under contract for National Geographic and a conservancy group (don't remember which one) so obviously they will use their final products as they see fit (I know I'll be keeping my eye on the Nat'l Geo Channel listings!). I suppose only Andrew can answer for sure what lattitude he has for his owon use of the footage based on those contracts.

Andrew, you may not remember, but we met and chatted at the DVi gathering on Monday evening. It was a delight to meet you!

Chris Pyle May 1st, 2006 02:31 PM

Nat Geo already aired the program on Wild Chronicles a while back. It looked really good. I'm not sure if they will re-air it later. I saw Andrew's footage at NAB and also at the DGA film-out a few months ago. Both times I was impressed with the look of the footage as well as the ruggedness of the camera. I put a Sony DSR-500 through similar conditions but it never came back to life...

Chris Pyle
Wildland Films

Andrew Young May 2nd, 2006 10:48 PM

Hi Everyone,

Sorry for the delay. I didn't realize I was being posted about. I am looking into making the footage more widely available, but there are rights issues to sort through. Live performance is always easier.

Tim had the correct info about the Nikon adaptor. They are available through Zoerk and Les Bosher. I did have some issues with what seemed to be internal reflection. As soon as I get to the bottom of it I will post info.

FYI, the gorilla glue adaptor is still my only wideangle solution, though I have rented the 13x a few times. Would love to own one...

I'm glad the real world account was useful.