Andrew Young's NAB Presentation at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old April 29th, 2006, 04:30 PM   #1
Major Player

Andrew Young's NAB Presentation

How many of you got to see Andrew's presentation at NAB? Is there any doubt this is a great camera after seeing what he dished out and it took?

I wonder if he still has his gorilla glued lens. It looked permanent. In the presentation it looked like he was changing lenses a couple of times and I was wondering what he was using when he was shooting all those strange bug-eyed critters. I just thought it looked stunning.

The problem was I kept getting pulled into the story of the trip and kept forgetting that I was watching to evaluate the footage.
Warren Shultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2006, 06:07 PM   #2
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Shultz
In the presentation it looked like he was changing lenses a couple of times and I was wondering what he was using when he was shooting all those strange bug-eyed critters. I just thought it looked stunning.
Andrew should really be answering this, but until he checks in I'll take a crack at it. I think he had the Zoerk (or is it Zörk?) Nikon adapter, and was using long Nikon lenses to achieve those superb close-ups of critters.

Quote:
The problem was I kept getting pulled into the story of the trip and kept forgetting that I was watching to evaluate the footage.
That's the point though isn't it? A good story is a good story no matter what the format.
Old April 29th, 2006, 06:17 PM   #3
Major Player

Exactly! It's about the story!

Is that adapter the custom made one I've been hearing about?
Old April 29th, 2006, 06:28 PM   #4
Wrangler

Quote:
Exactly! It's about the story!

Is that adapter the custom made one I've been hearing about?
Les Bosher made a custom one for somebody a while back, but I think Zoerk had already been selling their's since October. I think Yusuf Thakur also used the Zoerk.
Old April 29th, 2006, 06:39 PM   #5
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
How many of you got to see Andrew's presentation at NAB?
Here's my two cents:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showpost....61&postcount=4

And Tim's:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showpost....30&postcount=7

Mmmm... slow roasted HD100... rroowwrgghh...

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2006, 07:21 PM   #6
Major Player

I was there Monday and Tuesday and visited the JVC booth three times looking for some familiar names. To my frustration I didn't see ANY of you guys anywhere!

At least I put the face with Andrew. And I reacted with everyone else at the leaches and foot rot sections! eeuuwww!
Old April 29th, 2006, 08:19 PM   #7
Major Player

Warren I was there along with 10000 others. It was a very crowded booth.
Joe Bowey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2006, 08:48 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bowey
Warren I was there along with 10000 others. It was a very crowded booth.
That it was. By next year I'll know more of you all anyway.
Old April 30th, 2006, 10:16 AM   #9
Major Player

Does andrew have any intention of releasing this footage?

I'd sure like to see it.

Could he not author it in DVD Studio Pro as an HD-DVD and burn it on DVD-R?

I'd buy it. :)
Mark Silva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2006, 11:19 AM   #10
Wrangler

Mark, hard to say whether Andrew will release versions of the footage on his own. He said he was under contract for National Geographic and a conservancy group (don't remember which one) so obviously they will use their final products as they see fit (I know I'll be keeping my eye on the Nat'l Geo Channel listings!). I suppose only Andrew can answer for sure what lattitude he has for his owon use of the footage based on those contracts.

Andrew, you may not remember, but we met and chatted at the DVi gathering on Monday evening. It was a delight to meet you!
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2006, 02:31 PM   #11
New Boot

Nat Geo already aired the program on Wild Chronicles a while back. It looked really good. I'm not sure if they will re-air it later. I saw Andrew's footage at NAB and also at the DGA film-out a few months ago. Both times I was impressed with the look of the footage as well as the ruggedness of the camera. I put a Sony DSR-500 through similar conditions but it never came back to life...

Chris Pyle
Wildland Films
Chris Pyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2006, 10:48 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Hi Everyone,

Sorry for the delay. I didn't realize I was being posted about. I am looking into making the footage more widely available, but there are rights issues to sort through. Live performance is always easier.

Tim had the correct info about the Nikon adaptor. They are available through Zoerk and Les Bosher. I did have some issues with what seemed to be internal reflection. As soon as I get to the bottom of it I will post info.

FYI, the gorilla glue adaptor is still my only wideangle solution, though I have rented the 13x a few times. Would love to own one...

I'm glad the real world account was useful.
Andrew Young is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems