DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   My Nikon lenses were converted in telephotos!!! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/66259-my-nikon-lenses-were-converted-telephotos.html)

Saul Martinez April 29th, 2006 09:43 PM

My Nikon lenses were converted in telephotos!!!

Tim:
I recently got an adapter mount from Zork, Germany to use my Nikon lenses in
my HD100U, but...what a sorprise!!!!...my 28mm wide angle give a image like a 75mm lens, the 55mm MicroNikor seams a 150mm and the 75mm to 300mm is like a super telephoto 300mm to 600!!!...Why??? Any sugestion to correct this???. Thanks.

Tim Dashwood April 29th, 2006 10:05 PM

Focal length is focal length. The difference is in the size of the CCD/gate.

To understand this properly, set the HD100 stock lens to 28mm and take note of the field of view.
Now pop your Nikon 28mm on and have a look. You'll see that both render the same FOV on your HD100.
Now, if you put the same 28mm on your Nikon SLR it will look about 7x wider. That's because the relatively large projected image of your Nikon lenses are being cropped by the very small 1/3" CCD in the HD100.

Therefore a 28mm lens on the HD100 looks more like a 200mm on a Nikon SLR.

Someone posted a link to chart created by JVC. I'll try to find it.

Greg Milneck April 29th, 2006 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Martinez
Tim:
my HD100U, but...what a sorprise!!!!...my 28mm wide angle give a image like a 75mm lens, the 55mm MicroNikor seams a 150mm and the 75mm to 300mm is like a super telephoto 300mm to 600!!!...Why??? Any sugestion to correct this???. Thanks.

Because the JVC sensor is far smaller than a 35mm frame which the Nikon lenses are made for. The Mini35 adapter is the best solution as it corrects for this by projecting the sensors image on to a ground glass at the correct size for your lenses.

Saul Martinez April 29th, 2006 10:16 PM

Thanks

Thanks, Tim...thanks Greg.
I'llbe waiting for the link to chart by JVC, Tim.

Sam Edwards April 30th, 2006 05:07 PM

Do you have a link for the adapter?

Hi,
I tried googling Zork, Germany and a few others. I may have found the company but I don't see anything for 1/3" lenses. What are you using exactly? Where did you find it?
thanks,
Sam

Steven D. Martin April 30th, 2006 07:10 PM

SLR lenses for HD100

This is interesting to me- even without a Redrock Micro or other adapter. I recently used an Eclair NPR S16mm film camera with an expensive Angenieux zoom on it. I took a c-mount to Canon FD adapter to mount my old SLR lenses on the cam, and the difference was unbelieveable. The SLR lens' images were much more three-dimensional and the colors were much richer.

Steven D. Martin April 30th, 2006 07:19 PM

I found the company

The web address is www.zoerk.com. Looks like there's a JVC video to Nikon F mount adapter for $399. Is that it?

I wonder how bad the CA would be with SLR lenses... couldn't be TOO bad...

Tim Dashwood April 30th, 2006 09:02 PM

It depends on the quality of the lenses you are using. However, I have a feeling that small amount of CA we see on all 1/3" 3-CCD cameras, regardless of lens, is caused by the prism.

Guy Barwood April 30th, 2006 11:33 PM

one thing is for sure though, you will be using the sweetest spot of the nikon lens. With such a tight crop factor you will be avoiding all outer sections of the lens where they normally perform their worst.

Joel Aaron May 1st, 2006 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Martinez
Tim:

I've got the same Zoerk adapter and you'll see the 85mm on the Nikon is the same as 85mm on the Fujinon. Same for 20mm etc.

My initial tests seem to indicate some lenses might have less chromatic aberration than the Fujinon in certain situations. Sharpness appears similar around F4.

I think it's most useful if you want to put on a 70-200 2.8 and get some big telephoto shots.

Brian Duke November 14th, 2006 03:53 PM

Does anyone have any footage of the Zork adapter with the HD100? I would like to see how it compares to the Mini35.

Bill Ravens November 14th, 2006 04:10 PM

The Zork adapter will let you use Nikon 35mm lenses, however, without a ground glass focusing screen, like redrock, letus or P&S Technik mini35, there's NO WAY you'll get the change in DOF.

Jaadgy Akanni November 14th, 2006 06:10 PM

M2 adapter without the Fujinon lens?

For instance, when using the M2 adapter on my HD100, I turn the the focus ring and Macro focus ring all the way to right. Then I adjust the Zoom ring to somewhere between 20mm-24mm(roughly) to achieve sharpness. So this my question: Is their a way to reproduce these settings by using a Zoerk adapter and a 35mm SLR? The idea would be to get rid of the cumbersome and front heavy load of the Fujinon attached to the M2. Perhaps Tim has some ideas?

Joel Aaron November 14th, 2006 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaadgy Akanni
The idea would be to get rid of the cumbersome and front heavy load of the Fujinon attached to the M2. Perhaps Tim has some ideas?

Been there tried that. You still need something as the relay lens.

If you've got a really fast 24mm lens it might work. I tried it with a 20mm 2.8 nikon as the relay lens and it was a stop slower and the quality was probably worse than the stock Fujinon but I didn't test a ton. Losing that stop of light was worse than the extra 6 inches of length the Fujinon offers.

Perhaps someone more ingenious than me can figure out a better way to do it.

Jaadgy Akanni November 14th, 2006 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joel Aaron
Been there tried that. You still need something as the relay lens.

If you've got a really fast 24mm lens it might work.

Is there a "really fast 24mm lens" out there?