DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   How do I capture 60p VIA the component outs? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/66285-how-do-i-capture-60p-via-component-outs.html)

Adam Craig April 30th, 2006 10:51 AM

How do I capture 60p VIA the component outs?

Alright, so i need to do slow-motion in the field. Thus necessitating the ability to capture 60P in the field. What components do i need and roughly how much do they cost?

Tim Dashwood April 30th, 2006 08:34 PM

There are a few uncompressed options.

1. The Wafian. Here's a photo I took at the JVC booth:
http://www.TimDashwood.com/.Pictures/NAB2006/Wafian.JPG

2. Decklink HD Extreme. Blackmagic just released this new card last week for $999. It now has analog YRB component in. I've used a blackmagic decklink before with the HD100/FCP/multibridge and it works well.

3. Kona is an alternative option to the decklink.

Option 1 is standalone. Option 2 & 3 require a desktop computer.

Mark Silva April 30th, 2006 09:54 PM

One of my shooters "accidentally" shot a long form seminar in HDV 24p.

We captured through the component outputs and it worked great.

just coupled the outputs to the input of my blackmagic design multibridge extreme.

worked like a champ!

The footage was supposed to be DV24p, so we also used the built in hardware down converter in the multibridge and captured it as anamorphic sd. Turned out great!

Trung Dau May 1st, 2006 03:30 PM

When i use the DEcklink HD Extreme for capturing via analog YRB component, u think if it's possible to do the batch capture? BEcause i don't know if the analog YRB component has the time code out put or not.

Chris Lognion May 1st, 2006 08:05 PM

Firestore FS4-Pro HD

When doing many test a few weeks back, I recall capturing HDV 60P to the Firestore copied it to my internal hard drive and loaded into a Premiere 2.0 HDV project. I had to render it but it was great slow-motion. I will test this again in the morning to make sure of the exact setting I had.

Stephan Ahonen May 1st, 2006 08:49 PM

Are you sure? As far as I know there is no way to get 60 fps out of the camera via Firewire except by shooting 480p. You can only get 720p60 by capturing the raw analog component output from the camera. The upconversion from 480p to 720p doesn't look too bad unless you're going to blow it up even further (i.e. film transfer or large format digital projection), but it's still not native 720p.

Adam Craig May 1st, 2006 08:49 PM

Are you sure? What mode did you put the camera in to do this? I've very interested in capturing 60p with the HD100.

Paolo Ciccone May 2nd, 2006 02:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trung Dau
When i use the DEcklink HD Extreme for capturing via analog YRB component, u think if it's possible to do the batch capture? BEcause i don't know if the analog YRB component has the time code out put or not.

You're correct, there's no timecode. With the Wafian you get a bunch of .AVI (Cineform codec) files named the way you want, you'll have to slate the shots and synchronize sound manually.
It works pretty well, my main gripe is the UI, not nearly as good as it should be and you want to use the unit with a full size monitor and mouse.
On the other hand it seems to be working very well.

Jemore Santos May 2nd, 2006 04:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Lognion
When doing many test a few weeks back, I recall capturing HDV 60P to the Firestore copied it to my internal hard drive and loaded into a Premiere 2.0 HDV project. I had to render it but it was great slow-motion. I will test this again in the morning to make sure of the exact setting I had.

I thought 60p Via firewire is not possible on the HD100?

Chris Lognion May 2nd, 2006 09:19 AM

Hdv-sd60p

OK here's the deal. I repeated the test I did a few weeks ago. It's definitely a 720x480 image. I place the camera in HDV-SD60P recording format and connected the Firestore FS4Pro HD set to record in HD. I then brought the file into a Matrox DV Widescreen project, The propery value shows 59.94 fps, I then interpeted the footage as 29.97 and it played back in slow motion. I'm not sure why it has to be in an HDV setting other than it is recording a true 60P image and DV cannot handle the data???

Stephan Ahonen May 2nd, 2006 08:57 PM

The HDV stream is 60p no matter what, that's simply the HDV standard. However, the footage itself is 30 fps with a "repeat frame" flag on every other frame, embedded within the 60 fps stream.