Anyone using the JVC DR-HD100-40 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old May 2nd, 2006, 06:23 PM   #16
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Stiff
What is the point to buying this if you don't get instant
editing abilities in 720 24p?

Can someone explain why it cannot record in 720 24p Quicktime format?
Because the 24p HDV file format doesn't exist yet. This is something that will come along with the FCP update.

Incidentally, all we speak of right now is being beta tested. Focus will have firmware updates ready either concurrently or shortly thereafter the FCP update.
Old May 2nd, 2006, 06:30 PM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate Weaver
Because the 24p HDV file format doesn't exist yet. This is something that will come along with the FCP update.

Incidentally, all we speak of right now is being beta tested. Focus will have firmware updates ready either concurrently or shortly thereafter the FCP update.
Do you now the answer to my question on the previous post regarding 24P in SD.
Steve Benner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2006, 10:30 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Benner
The problem I have is getting the 60FPS back to 24FPS? ... I would like to know how to extract the 24 Frames with proper audio?
When MPEG Streamclip transcodes a 24p m2t file it unfortunately turns the flags into real frames, which are then hard to extract (Cinema Tools won't do it, nor will the DVCProHD Frame rate tool). However HDVxDV (available on the web) will transcode only the 24 original frames. Unfortunately, there are some bugs with this software. Timecode is not always maintained and the clips are erroneously timed at 24fps (as opposed to 23.98) which can cause audio to drift on long takes. It does work, however with these caveats.

Incidentally, Apple Intermediate Codec appears to be very similar to DVCPro HD in terms of bitrate and color sampling, except that it supports the full 720x1280, which gives it better rez. Consider it if you don't have the drive space to transcode to uncompressed.
Andrew Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2006, 10:48 PM   #19
Wrangler

Quote:
Regarding the Apple situation, in SD if I want to shoot in 24P, which pulldown would I chose to send to the DR-HD100.
Shoot in DV 24PA. The Firestore can only remove pulldown when it receives a 24PA stream

Quote:
Also since Quicktime 24 is an option on the DR-HD100, what happens from that point? Do the clips import into FCP in 24 FPS, or do they require pulldown?
If you do the above, the files the Firestore will create will be 23.98 DV files...no further processing needed.
Old May 2nd, 2006, 10:51 PM   #20
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Young
When MPEG Streamclip transcodes a 24p m2t file it unfortunately turns the flags into real frames,
Absolutely true. I've found though if you demux the m2t to seperate m2v and aiffs, then RELOAD those into MPEGSTREAMCLIP, a resulting transcode to DVCPRO HD will be timed at 23.98.

Just another piece of weirdness to confuse people :-)
Old May 3rd, 2006, 12:34 PM   #21
Major Player

First, thanks for answering all my questions, and second I have some more:

1) Does the DR-HD100 come with an attachment and holder for the Shoe of the HD100 handle?

2) How long does the battery last and are there replacements?
Old May 5th, 2006, 08:26 AM   #22
Regular Crew

This moring I spoke to the company that makes the firestore product,
they said anyday the product wil have a software upgrade to make
HDV 720 24p Quicktimes.
Rob Stiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2006, 08:57 AM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Stiff
This moring I spoke to the company that makes the firestore product,
they said anyday the product wil have a software upgrade to make
HDV 720 24p Quicktimes.

We still have to wait for FCP to offer an HDV 24p option though.
Jim Giberti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2006, 11:27 AM   #24
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Giberti
We still have to wait for FCP to offer an HDV 24p option though.
That should happen any day as well.
Old May 5th, 2006, 11:58 AM   #25
Major Player

Quote:
That should happen any day as well.

Like with the D-tap issue for the Firestore and IDX, I'm being unusually Zen like in my wait for the 24p solutions. My normal personality would dictate more impatience and frustration. Maybe it's about getting older, but probably because we're between major projects right now and I can afford to be laid back <g>.

Either way, compared to some waits with promised technology (we got into the HD-100 in February), having these last major hurdles passed by mid Spring is pretty much what I expected. If it happens in the coming days, then it's all good. We're all geting a little tired of logging 30p tapes when we know that editing right from 24p files is imminent.
It's a pretty big creative leap.
Jim Giberti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2006, 03:17 PM   #26
Regular Crew

Quote:
Regarding the Apple situation, in SD if I want to shoot in 24P, which pulldown would I chose to send to the DR-HD100. Also since Quicktime 24 is an option on the DR-HD100, what happens from that point? Do the clips import into FCP in 24 FPS, or do they require pulldown?
As far as I know you CANNOT shoot 24P in SD mode on the HD100.
Miklos Philips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2006, 03:21 PM   #27
Regular Crew

24p Hd

Also, on the Mac (Tiger OS only) there is a little nifty software called HDVxDV for $80 which, according to the website:

HDVxDV 1.024 adds support for the JVC ProHD 24 frame per second HDV format. It allows you to capture and convert video from the new JVC GY-HD100U camera and edit in Final Cut Pro, Avid or any other editing system that supports Quicktime. HDVxDV features real time audio and video preview of native HDV video and selectable 4:2:2 or 4:2:0 color upsampling. You can export either drop-frame or non-drop frame timecode to export to Quicktime in the HDVxDV preferences. In addition, the timecode is now displayed in the timeline. When a new Quicktime movie is created, the original camera's timecode will be preserved. This version will run on Mac OS 10.4 (Tiger).

http://www.hdvxdv.com/

I haven't tried it myself, but would love to do some tests. If anybody has tried this 24P workflow -> edit in FCP let us know.
Miklos Philips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2006, 04:06 PM   #28
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miklos Philips
As far as I know you CANNOT shoot 24P in SD mode on the HD100.
Yes, you certainly can shoot 24P SD, just like a DVX100. You have a choice of either 24P standard or 24PA with advanced pulldown. If you are shooting with the DR-HD100 you probably want 24PA inorder to drop the pulldown on capture, but always test before assuming it works.

I think Nate already answered this earlier in this post.
Andrew Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2006, 04:14 PM   #29
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miklos Philips
I haven't tried it myself, but would love to do some tests. If anybody has tried this 24P workflow -> edit in FCP let us know.
Hi Miklos,

There are many posts about HDVxDV on this forum, just do a search. I have used it quite a bit with mixed results. Yes, it does get you editing with 24p material, but timecode rarely carries over from original and audio on the AIC transcodes drifts out of sync on long takes. Others seem to be having better results than me, however. In some ways MPEG streamclip works better and its free. No TC and still sync issues, but give it a try.
Andrew Young is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems