DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   Anyone using the JVC DR-HD100-40 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/66406-anyone-using-jvc-dr-hd100-40-a.html)

Tom Chaney May 1st, 2006 07:47 PM

Anyone using the JVC DR-HD100-40

Hi Gang,

Is anyone using the JVC DR-HD100-40 (or 80) Firewire Hard drive for capturing yet?

And if you are, is this a way to get 24p into FCP pro to cut?

Thanks for any info.

Tom Chaney

Nate Weaver May 1st, 2006 07:51 PM

If you use the Firestore to record .m2t in 24p HDV, you can process the file with MPEGSTREAMCLIP to get a 24P DVCPRO HD file.

Right now, that's the only option.

Matthew McKane May 1st, 2006 08:13 PM

So if you export the mt2 file as DVCPRO HD 24p would it still maintain the full 1280x720 or would it be 960x720? If it does maintain the full 1280x720 isn't this a better option anyways?

Steve Benner May 1st, 2006 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matthew McKane
So if you export the mt2 file as DVCPRO HD 24p would it still maintain the full 1280x720 or would it be 960x720? If it does maintain the full 1280x720 isn't this a better option anyways?

I tested this workflow with someone elses clips that I downloaded, and the frame size can be sent as 1280x720. The problem I have is getting the 60FPS back to 24FPS? I really want to get this Hard Drive so I am testing this out. Eventually a Quicktime Wrapper Firmware Updates appears to be coming out, but until it does, I would like to know how to extract the 24 Frames with proper audio?

Matthew McKane May 1st, 2006 08:28 PM

Well thats good news about the full 1280x720. If your using a mac you should be able to extract the 24p from the 60p.

Adam Craig May 1st, 2006 08:45 PM

Waaaaait, I thought the JVC can only send 60p via the composite outs, not firewire. Am I wrong?

Nate Weaver May 1st, 2006 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam Craig
Waaaaait, I thought the JVC can only send 60p via the composite outs, not firewire. Am I wrong?

Adam, the 24p mpeg stream masquerades as a 60p stream to be able to lay 24 frames inside a known MPEG stream framerate. It's an issue of MPEG spec semantics. There's not 60 unique frames coming out firewire.

Rob Stiff May 2nd, 2006 03:11 AM

JVC DR-HD100-40 (or 80) Firewire Hard drive, Not Worth it...yet

What is the point to buying this if you don't get instant
editing abilities in 720 24p?

Can someone explain why it cannot record in 720 24p Quicktime format?

Steve Benner May 2nd, 2006 03:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Stiff
What is the point to buying this if you don't get instant
editing abilities in 720 24p?

Can someone explain why it cannot record in 720 24p Quicktime format?

Can someone explain how to extract the 24 Frames From the 60 that are recorded. I imported the clip into Cinema Tools, and cannot preform a reverse pulldown.

Tom Chaney May 2nd, 2006 04:11 AM

Thanks for all the info guys.

The big advantage is a backup to tape. But I also thought that it may be a workaround to the 24P issue.

Sounds like it's not there yet.

We have started shooting a film, and are doing 9 more days in July. I thought this might be a nice option.

Dave Beaty May 2nd, 2006 07:26 AM

I have the DR-HD100 and presently it does not save files in quicktime format, but rather MPEG-2. FCPro does not directlty read MPEG-2 files.
Focus Enhancements is working on a firmware upgrade to support QT and FCPro. I was told 1 month, about 2 weeks ago by Technical Support.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, The files recorded in 24p are actually stored as 60p (59.94) and the 24 frames are arrayed within this 60p file by doubling some frames, and some are singles. These frames are flagged for cadence and extracting into a true 24p (23.97) file or for playback.

I'm not sure of the correct way to properly decode the 60p to 24p and maintain this cadence saved in the file. My attempts with Cinematools have been futile.

I have been using 60p (59.94) files and timelines and avoiding it all together. Granted, this takes up more disk space. But the source files are 59.94 anyway.

MPEG Streamclip can export the M2t files to just about any Quicktime format, and codec you want. So you could even export to uncompressed HD.

Dave

Steve Benner May 2nd, 2006 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Beaty
I have the DR-HD100 and presently it does not save files in quicktime format, but rather MPEG-2. FCPro does not directlty read MPEG-2 files.
Focus Enhancements is working on a firmware upgrade to support QT and FCPro. I was told 1 month, about 2 weeks ago by Technical Support.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, The files recorded in 24p are actually stored as 60p (59.94) and the 24 frames are arrayed within this 60p file by doubling some frames, and some are singles. These frames are flagged for cadence and extracting into a true 24p (23.97) file or for playback.

I'm not sure of the correct way to properly decode the 60p to 24p and maintain this cadence saved in the file. My attempts with Cinematools have been futile.

I have been using 60p (59.94) files and timelines and avoiding it all together. Granted, this takes up more disk space. But the source files are 59.94 anyway.

MPEG Streamclip can export the M2t files to just about any Quicktime format, and codec you want. So you could even export to uncompressed HD.

Dave

The program is great at conversion, as I havve tried out several options. I hope that the Focus Releases this quicktime thing soon.

John Mitchell May 2nd, 2006 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Beaty
I
Dave

Nearly right - the repeat frames don't really exist at all - they are only flags in the 60P MPEG stream and JVC uses the 3:2 advanced pulldown method. So the codec works more efficiently because there is only 24 frames of "real" data encoded into the 60P stream.

Steve Mullen has gone into the nitty gritty on this and can probably explain it better in terms of IPB frames.

The problem seems to be that, while many NLE's support advanced pulldown for other codecs like DVCPro, hardly any support the HDV codec natively at that framerate (or 50/25 for that matter).

Joe Carney May 2nd, 2006 11:25 AM

For those reading, this is mainly an FCP/Apple issue. On windows there are software options that work fine. (Cineform, Vegas, PremierPro...)

Steve Benner May 2nd, 2006 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe Carney
For those reading, this is mainly an FCP/Apple issue. On windows there are software options that work fine. (Cineform, Vegas, PremierPro...)

Regarding the Apple situation, in SD if I want to shoot in 24P, which pulldown would I chose to send to the DR-HD100. Also since Quicktime 24 is an option on the DR-HD100, what happens from that point? Do the clips import into FCP in 24 FPS, or do they require pulldown?