DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   BR-HD50 deck - options? opinions? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/66456-br-hd50-deck-options-opinions.html)

John Mitchell May 2nd, 2006 09:23 AM

BR-HD50 deck - options? opinions?

I was really hoping for JVC to announce a new HDV deck or at least an update for the current BR-HD50 unit at NAB. That sadly was not to be.
Lots of users on this forum have repeatedly reported significant operational issues with the deck that JVC seems unable to address. And it is not for lack of trying on JVC's part, they've been very pro-active but there appear to be design flaws that go beyond firmware upgrades and factory adjustments. This has stopped me from buying the deck (which I think is quite reasonably priced for what it is), but I don't see any alternative, especially for PAL users (no spooler at 50P frame rates).
I'm now leaning strongly towards a hard drive solution like the DR-HD100-80 as a more viable solution than a buggy deck, but obviously it is not as flexible as tape.
I'm just wondering if any HD100 users out there have any other method (apart from using and abusing the camera itself) that might provide a viable alternative workflow option. Or if JVC can disabuse me of my belief that the BR-HD50 is a bit of a boat anchor looking for a chain :) In other words - do they have guaranteed fixes for the inherent problems (422 connectivity, overheating and reset issues being the main ones brought up on this forum)

K. Forman May 2nd, 2006 09:37 AM

The new Sony decks, M15U and M25U, are looking pretty sharp. I'm thinking of going that route when I get my HD250.

Daniel Weber May 2nd, 2006 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith Forman
The new Sony decks, M15U and M25U, are looking pretty sharp. I'm thinking of going that route when I get my HD250.

Keith,

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that the Sony HDV decks will not play the JVC HDV tapes.

Dan Weber

K. Forman May 2nd, 2006 10:14 AM

They'll play both full sized and mini DV tapes, so it seems odd that they won't play the JVC's. We'll have to wait and see I guess.

Daniel Weber May 2nd, 2006 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith Forman
They'll play both full sized and mini DV tapes, so it seems odd that they won't play the JVC's. We'll have to wait and see I guess.

Keith,

I am willing to bet my lunch money that they won't play the JVC tapes.

Sony uses HDV(2) and JVC choose HDV(1) as their recording formats.

They are both HDV, but will not play in each others decks.

Steve Mullen would be the best to answer this question though.

I have a Sony HVM-10U deck in my office, I will try to play some tapes from the HD100 that I have at home.

Dan Weber

Dave Beaty May 3rd, 2006 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Mitchell
I was really hoping for JVC to announce a new HDV deck or at least an update for the current BR-HD50 unit at NAB. That sadly was not to be.
I'm just wondering if any HD100 users out there have any other method (apart from using and abusing the camera itself) that might provide a viable alternative workflow option. Or if JVC can disabuse me of my belief that the BR-HD50 is a bit of a boat anchor looking for a chain :) In other words - do they have guaranteed fixes for the inherent problems (422 connectivity, overheating and reset issues being the main ones brought up on this forum)

John,

I too was hoping for a more robust deck with jog shuttle wheel. We just got a DR-HD100 and I think it will be a great addition once the firmware supports FCPro, which we use. If you can use m2t files, by all means, get one, because they are great!

We have narrowed down the problem we have been experiencing with the br50 to one thing: RS-422 control.

When we control our units with RS-422, every so often we get a crash. Overheat, playback inhibit, pal mode ect. I think those error messages/symptoms are part of the bug, not actually a mechanical condition of the deck. Unplugging the unit and reseting usually brings it back pronto.

Our decks are serial # circa Sept 05. I have a new one here that JVC RMA'd me to help solve this. We will test it and see if the RS-422 problems are still there.

I did some extensive use of Firewire control this week and did not have one crash. Then when I switched to serial, it crashed within an hour.

Dave Beaty

Jeff Morrissette May 3rd, 2006 02:26 PM

You mean they upgraded the deck? I've had lots of problems with mine on editing. It' is from last fall too.

Daniel Patton May 3rd, 2006 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Morrissette
You mean they upgraded the deck? I've had lots of problems with mine on editing. It' is from last fall too.

What type of problems? RS-422 issues, or other?

We have had our deck from early camera/deck release and have had NO issues with it, it performs flawless. We don't use the RS-422 though, so no comment there.

Jiri Bakala May 3rd, 2006 07:51 PM

I've had mine since December and it works fine on digest but doesn't record back to it. Now, that is an AVID (Mac version AXP 4.8.2) problem and I trust that the upcoming June Avid upgrade will deal with it. On the whole, though, the RS422 has been okay with only a few 'lost communication' issues that were solved by turning the deck OFF and back ON.

Someone here mentioned that there is a way of upgrading the deck through firmware at the back behind the small plate. Anyone knows more about that? And while we are at it, how does one check the firmware version on the deck?

Jim Forrest May 7th, 2006 07:29 AM

I have had the BR-HD50 deck for about a month now and I lost the red on the component out. Does any one know where to call to JVC or should I call B&H where I bought it.
Jim

Carl Hicks May 7th, 2006 02:56 PM

Customer Care Center

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Forrest
I have had the BR-HD50 deck for about a month now and I lost the red on the component out. Does any one know where to call to JVC or should I call B&H where I bought it.
Jim

Hi Jim,

The number for out Customer Care Center is posted right on our website:

http://pro.jvc.com/prof/support/index.jsp

1-800-582-5825 - Monday thru Friday, 9 AM to 5 PM Central Time.

Regards, Carl