testing a brand new hd100a at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old May 2nd, 2006, 11:32 PM   #1
Inner Circle

testing a brand new hd100a

My hd100a finally arrived.

what would be a good battery of tests to put a brand new camera through?

what's the best way to create a sse?
test for dead pixels?

In terms of internal settings and camera moves, what would be a good NFL combine to test out of brand new hd100a for fitness?

thanks

b
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2006, 08:42 AM   #2
Major Player

Brian,

Great news! When mine arrives, I'll be doing a lot of side-by-side tests with my FX1.

From what I've heard, SSE is found by putting on the lens cap and increasing the gain to 18db. Dead pixels I would guess be found by capping the lens & just looking at some video on a monitor, but I'm not sure. If they're there, you'll see 'em soon enough!

As for the settings, I would say go to the sticky at the top of the board and just start playing.
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=62835

Good luck.
Chad Terpstra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2006, 10:50 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Terpstra
From what I've heard, SSE is found by putting on the lens cap and increasing the gain to 18db. Dead pixels I would guess be found by capping the lens & just looking at some video on a monitor, but I'm not sure. If they're there, you'll see 'em soon enough!

Good luck.
well my HD100A has noticeable SSE on the flip out lcd at 18db with the lens cap on...
Old May 4th, 2006, 06:08 AM   #4
Trustee

White balance and then put the lens cap on. Does it still do it? Anyway, maybe test the camera on a live shoot? It's the only way. All of the other BS has been done to death.
Stephen L. Noe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2006, 10:36 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Luce
well my HD100A has noticeable SSE on the flip out lcd at 18db with the lens cap on...

I would strongly suggest you not shoot anything important with the HD100 configured this way.
Jim Giberti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2006, 06:39 PM   #6
Regular Crew

For testing SSE:

Point our cam against a white blank wall indoor.
Mikael Widerberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2006, 06:59 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Giberti
I would strongly suggest you not shoot anything important with the HD100 configured this way.
And for even better results remove the lens cap. ;)

I'm with Stephen, shoot real world stuff, if you have SSE issues they will find you, don't waste your time looking for it... or you will.
RED ONE #977
Daniel Patton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2006, 09:05 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Giberti
That's probably good advice Jim, thanks. I shot my first feature in that configuration--it was very frustrating looking at the dailies. luckily my editors are very clever, they were able to remove the lens cap in post.

btw, the SSE seems to vanish once the camera warms up.
Old May 20th, 2006, 11:59 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Luce
My hd100a finally arrived.
I noticed in the other thread that u managed to get in with the IDX promo - how did you do it this late in May?
Old May 21st, 2006, 08:24 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Ganesh
I noticed in the other thread that u managed to get in with the IDX promo - how did you do it this late in May?
I think I ordered my camera about 20 seconds before the promo expired at Texas Tapeworks. Then, since Texas Tapeworks doesn't deliver internationally, my camera did a world tour that included a visit to Chicago, Hong Kong, and other beautiful destinations before arriving in my greedy little hands here in the Philippines.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems