DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   footage shot for an outdoor show (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/66611-footage-shot-outdoor-show.html)

Council Bradshaw May 4th, 2006 05:30 AM

footage shot for an outdoor show

Here are some clips from a run and gun, off the cuff shoot I did recently.
I usually work in more of a controled enviroment with this camera but decided to give it try on this outdoor show. I used a ND Grad & Polarizer on pretty much everything. I would toggle between the two builtin ND filters as needed. Plus I attached the wide angle converter to the lens on the very first shot and ended up keeping it on all weekend.

You can download the clips here.
They are 720p30 right out of FCP

http://homepage.mac.com/racegun/FileSharing16.html

Tim D,
Can you convert these for PC users to see?

Yoochul Chong May 4th, 2006 08:01 AM

awesome

The sunset shot was incredible. I'm so glad I got this camera. The skeet shot video, is it the color of the "don't shoot me cheney" vests a little off or is that the right color? it must be my old eyes. i'm not 35 anymore, i guess the eyes go at 36.

Manny Rodriguez May 4th, 2006 08:20 AM

sunset was awsome, what shutter speed did you use?

Steve Benner May 4th, 2006 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manny Rodriguez
sunset was awsome, what shutter speed did you use?

I was wondering the same question for the river shot.

The footage looked great. I was buying a HVX this morning, and now, once again and back to the debate. I am just going to flip a friggin coin.

Chad Terpstra May 4th, 2006 09:46 AM

Silly Steve.... How much do you think dead presidents will actually know about cameras? ;-)

As I've seen & read in other posts, the two cameras are so close in picture quality, it really comes down to the design, layout, & workflow you like best. My money is on the HD-100 for those very reasons.

Enough about that. I wanted to say I really liked the footage. I was wondering if any gain was used on the sunset? One thing I've noticed about this camera is that it's got a fair share of noise (such as the top part of the sunset shot). I know its a factor in the smaller 1/3" chips and the higher resolution so there's not much you can do about it. However my FX1 is VERY clean at 0db, but maybe not as light sensitive. It's a trade-off that I think is worth while for an HD camera in this price range of this quality.

Great footage, Council. Very well shot. Any chance you might share some scene settings. It's always nice to know.

Simon Antoniou May 4th, 2006 10:46 AM

how do you view these files? my quicktime cant open them...

do I need one of these third party plug-ins? are they free?

Council Bradshaw May 4th, 2006 01:20 PM

I've exceeded my data transfer limit

Sorry but my little ol' .mac account doesn't have enough bandwidth to handle these clips so my download page is blocked. If someone is willing to host these clips I'd be glad to provide them.

To answer some of your questions:

The sunset is awesome, I got a lot of these type shots. Just FYI the sunset shots are zoomed all the way in on the lens, which may explain the grain. Also I was still shooting thru the wide anle adapter. The Iris was cranked way down too. I used a 1/60 shutter on everything except a slow shutter on the river shot. I really don't know what the specific shutter setting was because I was carefully balancing the camera on a rock just inches from the water. So I just dialed down the shutter until I got the look I wanted and rolled camera. The color on the hunting vest is a blaze orange. The color is pretty accutrate. I was using Paolo's scene file so the chroma may have been a little much for that bright orange.

Overall I was happy with the footage. I learned some things... mostly just getting use to setting a proper exposure on the fly... and focus is key and tricky with no CRT monitor. Specially if your using a bunch of ND filters to help knock down the DOF.

I shot a bunch of hand held stuff which is fairly steady but there were some really windy days on top of the mountain and that was tough. The camera blows around on your shoulder real easy.

Bottom line.... I love this camera.
I'm always blown away by the footage.

Yoochul Chong May 4th, 2006 01:28 PM

again, great footage, thanks for the info on the camera. are you having any capture issues like a lot of the other guys on this forum with fcp?

Stephan Ahonen May 4th, 2006 02:16 PM

If I can manage to download the footage I'll host it on my web space... I have a friend who owns a web server. =D

Council Bradshaw May 4th, 2006 03:29 PM

I've had no problems capturing 720p 30 in FCP. However when I capture 24p stuff via HDVxDV it's a little buggy.

Stephan if you e-mail me I'll get you into my idisk for the download.

Jonathan Ames May 4th, 2006 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Council Bradshaw
Sorry but my little ol' .mac account doesn't have enough bandwidth to handle these clips so my download page is blocked. If someone is willing to host these clips I'd be glad to provide them.

To answer some of your questions:

The sunset is awesome, I got a lot of these type shots. Just FYI the sunset shots are zoomed all the way in on the lens, which may explain the grain. Also I was still shooting thru the wide anle adapter. The Iris was cranked way down too. I used a 1/60 shutter on everything except a slow shutter on the river shot. I really don't know what the specific shutter setting was because I was carefully balancing the camera on a rock just inches from the water. So I just dialed down the shutter until I got the look I wanted and rolled camera. The color on the hunting vest is a blaze orange. The color is pretty accutrate. I was using Paolo's scene file so the chroma may have been a little much for that bright orange.

Overall I was happy with the footage. I learned some things... mostly just getting use to setting a proper exposure on the fly... and focus is key and tricky with no CRT monitor. Specially if your using a bunch of ND filters to help knock down the DOF.

I shot a bunch of hand held stuff which is fairly steady but there were some really windy days on top of the mountain and that was tough. The camera blows around on your shoulder real easy.

Bottom line.... I love this camera.
I'm always blown away by the footage.

What are the file sizes, Council and I'll see if I can set them up on our studio server for you.
Jonathan

Yoochul Chong May 5th, 2006 07:52 AM

can you tell me what your capture presets are in fcp? there are a lot of people having issues with capture on fcp with a jvc hd100

Council Bradshaw May 7th, 2006 10:20 PM

Sorry for the delay, I've been on the road. Just got back tonight.

Jonathan,
If I remember correctly they (the clips) are around 50mg each.

Yoochul,
I use the easy setup for HDV 720 30p in FCP. Nothing special.
I dont have any capture or edit issues with 30p HDV footage.

cb

Jonathan Ames May 8th, 2006 11:02 PM

Not a problem. Glad to help out. Let me know what files you need posted, what you need done and I'll arrange it with the hosting facility for you. Also, how long you'd like them up for.