Anyone shooting SD? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old May 4th, 2006, 05:28 PM   #1
Major Player

Anyone shooting SD?

I have been shooting SD because my editing system is not up to par for HDV so I was wondering if anyone is shooting in SD?
I am editing on a laptop using Vegas4 but in the market to purchase a new system soon.
Joe Bowey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2006, 06:01 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Yup, we're shooting sd at my office. In fact, my partner just got back from a trip to Spain, Argentina, and Morrocco, and he shot 16:9 24p with Paolo's color settings. The footage is just down right amazing....
DJ Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2006, 07:03 PM   #3
Major Player

It seems that some people find Paolo's settings too colour saturated. I was wondering how such 'colourful' countries as Spain and Marocco look in that setting. Do you find it oversaturated?
Old May 4th, 2006, 08:52 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bowey
I have been shooting SD because my editing system is not up to par for HDV so I was wondering if anyone is shooting in SD?
I am editing on a laptop using Vegas4 but in the market to purchase a new system soon.
you are recording in dv? wouldn't you be better off recording in dv and downcon verting in post?
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2006, 10:39 PM   #5
Major Player

What is a simply inexpensive way to downconvert from HDV to DV using Vegas4?
Joe Bowey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2006, 08:44 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Brian, its sounds like Joe is in the same boat as me, in that our editing systems (computers/software) can't handle hdv, so we can't down convert in post, because we can't capture it to begin with..... and I haven't done a lot of research on this, but I've heard you can't down covert in camera either.

Jiri, the shots maybe a bit over saturated for some, but we found them perfect for our use... the thing with Paolo's settings is that they are meant to get the most color information possible so you can do with it as you please in post, not to be the best color setting to go direct to distribution with, so we love it.
DJ Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2006, 10:14 AM   #7
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Lewis
Brian, its sounds like Joe is in the same boat as me, in that our editing systems (computers/software) can't handle hdv, so we can't down convert in post, because we can't capture it to begin with..... and I haven't done a lot of research on this, but I've heard you can't down covert in camera either.

Jiri, the shots maybe a bit over saturated for some, but we found them perfect for our use... the thing with Paolo's settings is that they are meant to get the most color information possible so you can do with it as you please in post, not to be the best color setting to go direct to distribution with, so we love it.
1) You should be able to get a Dell that can do 720p HDV for about $500-$750. Lack of computer power simply isn't a reason not edit HDV in 2006.

2) The setting perhaps should be called FullColor rather than TruColor if folks are saying it is more saturated that reality.
Old May 5th, 2006, 12:41 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Mullen
1) You should be able to get a Dell that can do 720p HDV for about $500-$750. Lack of computer power simply isn't a reason not edit HDV in 2006.
You're right Steve; we actually have a nice systems at our studio (3500+ AMD 64 and 2 gigs of ram, 256mb agp video), but our lead editor uses Edius and according their tech people our systems aren't beefy enough for HDV under Edius (Dual xeon & Pci-X video).

Which NLE do you prefer for 24p HDV on the pc platform? Ppro2? Vegas 6?
DJ Lewis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems