DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   GY-HD100 not shoot DV-60i in 16:9 ?! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/66838-gy-hd100-not-shoot-dv-60i-16-9-a.html)

Ron German May 7th, 2006 09:12 AM

GY-HD100 not shoot DV-60i in 16:9 ?!

Hi
I`ve ordered my HD100AU from B&H, but today got surprised to know from an Chuck Gloman`s on line article (Digital Cinematography / Product Review: JVC HD100U Camcorder) that GY-HD100 does`t shoot DV-60i in 16:9.
And I ask why this limitation from this so good camera.
Best
Ron

Earl Thurston May 7th, 2006 10:10 AM

It can shoot 16:9 at DV-60i, but according to the manual on Page 62:

"The resolution in the vertical direction drops compared to 4:3 video."

This implies that the DV 4:3 image is cropped and then scaled for some reason. I haven't tested the difference myself to see for sure.

But regardless, your best bet would be to shoot HDV-SD60p instead. You'll get 16:9 at full resolution, and the 60 progressive frames cross-convert to DV-60i beautifully. (Plus, you have the option of pulling slow motion from that footage without interlace flicker.)

Jonathan Ames May 7th, 2006 10:11 AM

We don't shoot in this format but just for grins this morning I dialed in 60/30 frame rate, executed dv-60i and set the aspect to 16:9. I shot some footage and playing it back I'm seeing 16:9 60i so either our cameras are special or 60i at 16:9 is supported. Someone else that gets into this SD mode might want to correctively comment if I'm wrong but...

Ron German May 7th, 2006 12:43 PM

Thank you Earl and Jonathan
Earl, you mean cross-convert to DV-60i via software (in my case with Vegas 5.0)?
Best regards
Ron

Jiri Bakala May 7th, 2006 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonathan Ames
We don't shoot in this format but just for grins this morning I dialed in 60/30 frame rate, executed dv-60i and set the aspect to 16:9. I shot some footage and playing it back I'm seeing 16:9 60i so either our cameras are special or 60i at 16:9 is supported. Someone else that gets into this SD mode might want to correctively comment if I'm wrong but...

16x9 in SD is supported, that article is simply wrong. I tried to find a way of contacting the writer to no avail... It bugs me when someone publishes (and likely collect money for) an article that's based on a manual, perhaps JVC web description and maybe a brief encounter with the camera. Completely unprofessional. Prime example of how rumors get born!

Earl Thurston May 7th, 2006 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron German
Earl, you mean cross-convert to DV-60i via software (in my case with Vegas 5.0)?

Yes, that's correct.

Chad Terpstra May 7th, 2006 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Earl Thurston
But regardless, your best bet would be to shoot HDV-SD60p instead. You'll get 16:9 at full resolution, and the 60 progressive frames cross-convert to DV-60i beautifully. (Plus, you have the option of pulling slow motion from that footage without interlace flicker.)

Does anyone shoot in 60pSD on a regular basis? Is there a good workflow for using it? I have to be honest that I haven't seen a whole lot of samples where people have utilized it as an over-cranked slow motion option.

Ron German May 7th, 2006 07:55 PM

Dear Jiri
Are you shure the camera is supports capable of 16x9 in SD (DV) in 60i? Thank you
Ron

Tim Holtermann May 7th, 2006 08:37 PM

You may also want to consider shooting in HD 30p and then outputing your standard definition 60i from the Editor for best image results.

Jiri Bakala May 7th, 2006 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron German
Dear Jiri
Are you shure the camera is supports capable of 16x9 in SD (DV) in 60i? Thank you
Ron

Ron, that's affirmative! I have shot two projects that way already. To be 100% sure, I actually took the camera out just now and checked for you. YES, IT WILL SHOOT 16x9 60i IN SD :-)