Some hd100 wedding stills at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old May 8th, 2006, 07:42 PM   #1
New Boot

Some hd100 wedding stills

Here are some Wedding Stills from a wedding I shot yesterday.

http://www.digitalmosesvideo.com/ima...os/Image20.jpg

http://www.digitalmosesvideo.com/ima...os/Image21.jpg

http://www.digitalmosesvideo.com/ima...os/Image22.jpg

http://www.digitalmosesvideo.com/ima...os/Image23.jpg
Old May 8th, 2006, 07:51 PM   #2
New Boot

Very nice look you got there. I don't like getting in the tight with my shots at weddings, personally. Takes away from the whole "grand" feeling of the day. But none the less very nice.
Matthew McKane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2006, 08:00 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Matthew,

I don't know these guys but it's a good example of how tight shots work for weddings. Anyone can shoot a wedding in it's "grand scale" but what about with cinematic style?

http://streaming.tbteam.com/streamin...eo.cfm?id=4463
Tim Holtermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2006, 08:17 PM   #4
New Boot

Yea, I am still wading through the footage and will post some wide shots as well. Overall, the camera did performed well. The footage was mixed with dvx100a and jvc 300u footage during the ceremony. This might pose a challenge mixing progressive and interlaced footage together. Have you guys ever mixed camera footage together?

Tim I loved your demo reel. How long have you been shooting weddings?
Old May 8th, 2006, 08:19 PM   #5
Regular Crew

That is not my demo reel, but that is definately my style.

Did you shoot your wedding in 24p or 30p?
Old May 8th, 2006, 08:21 PM   #6
New Boot

Hd100 shot in 720 24p...
Old May 8th, 2006, 08:24 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I'm having my friend shoot my own wedding this Saturday using my HD100. I'm still trying to decide to do 24p or 30p and slow it down to 24p (when audio is not crucial) to give it that subtle slow mo look. If you have seen Andrew Young's Madagascar footage it was projected at 24 and shot at 30p.
Old May 8th, 2006, 08:29 PM   #8
New Boot

I am used to a dvx100a when shooting weddings and the Hd100 is alot bulkier to carry around for run and gun shooting. It will take awhile to get used to the over the shoulder shooting. My wrist still hurts from 6hrs of shooting.

Also, I constantly depended on the focus assist feature.
Old May 8th, 2006, 08:33 PM   #9
New Boot

Tim what I meant is not "that tight" and not frequently. Maybe I'm just used to shooting wide since my employer refuses to go tighter then a medium shot. And yes his still do give a great example of how they work well.
Matthew McKane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2006, 08:42 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Matthew, I as referring to the video example: http://streaming.tbteam.com/streamin...eo.cfm?id=4463

Many tight shots in it.
Old May 8th, 2006, 10:18 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Polley
I am used to a dvx100a when shooting weddings and the Hd100 is alot bulkier to carry around for run and gun shooting. It will take awhile to get used to the over the shoulder shooting. My wrist still hurts from 6hrs of shooting.
Your wrist shouldn't hurt. If anything, I'd expect your shoulder or neck to hurt (though not with such a light camera), but I've never had a problem with my wrist. I think you might be trying to carry the weight of the camera with your hand still, don't. Let the weight rest on your shoulder, which is much stronger, and only use your hands to aim the camera and work the controls, using as light a touch as possible. Above all, RELAX, otherwise you'll cramp up. One trick for steadier camerawork and taking a load off your right arm is to take your left hand off the lens when you're not focusing and tuck it under your right elbow.

Quote:
Also, I constantly depended on the focus assist feature.
Welcome to manual focus. No matter what camera you're using you'll always need some sort of edge enhancement in your viewfinder to help focus.
Stephan Ahonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2006, 11:09 PM   #12
Trustee

Do you have any still shots from the reception at night? I am in a huge debate with a fellow shooter who thinks HDV isn't good enough for night time shooting.
Thomas Smet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2006, 06:35 AM   #13
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Smet
Do you have any still shots from the reception at night? I am in a huge debate with a fellow shooter who thinks HDV isn't good enough for night time shooting.
Ask him why he thinks HDV has problems with low light shooting.
I'd be interested in hearing this.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2006, 08:07 AM   #14
Trustee

Because he keeps reading how much lower in sensitivity the chips are on the HDV cameras compared to SD cameras. This is a guy who is used to shooting with a 2/3" SD camera. He actually feels that it is better to shoot interlaced DVCAM than to shoot HDV that may need a little bit more care in terms of lighting.

I'm really confused on the logic of wanting to use 2/3" cameras to give the client the highest quality and then end up giving the client 720x480x4:1:1 that will at some point get bob'ed to 720x240x4:1:0 on a digital display.

I'm hoping some still images will convince him that it isn't as bad as it sounds.
Thomas Smet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2006, 09:10 AM   #15
2nd Unit TV

I don't usually chime in just to say nice job but if your total footage is indicated by image 21, you see things that alot of people haven't yet learned to; lighting and how we use it. I think sometimes we are, completely in the interest of helping, all too ready to address poorer quality issues or problems with the camera. Rob Kositcek said something the other day at lunch that I value greatly proving even people at 48 years old after 20 + years in the industry can learn something new. We were in a deep discussion on what we'd be talking about on an upcoming segment of 2nd Unit and I was deep into discussing the issues of 1/3" CCDs and DOF and focus and a hundred other technical issues and he said simply, "You really are a gear head. I bet you can't even tell me what color the boat is right outside the window." His point was that in his class at USC, her gives his students, the first day, each their camera and tell them to go see the outside world, shoot what they FEEL and come back to the classroom. He can teach gearhead things but feeling the outside world is what separates the average camera operator from a successful DP. "My greatest success is when I'm able to help people get the emotion they see in their heads and feel in their hearts out and onto film, tape and the bytes of a digital world." he said or something like that. Anyway, I just wanted to say I think you did a wonderful job in that shot with the light and all the others fighting the DOF issues attached to the camera.
Jonathan Ames is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems