Just got home with my HD100 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old May 11th, 2006, 04:49 PM   #1
Major Player

Just got home with my HD100

I am letting the battery charge up and then I am testing it out. I love it already and I haven't shot anything yet!

Question: I have a old JVC DV camera that has the same size battery port as the HD100. Can I use my extra batteries on my HD100?
Steve Benner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2006, 05:09 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Same Batteries as GY 300

Hi Steve;
I have a GY300, it uses the same batteries and charger as HD100. I've been using them with my HD 100, work well just don't last long.
I'll be up grading to something with more power not sure what.
Jack
Jack Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2006, 05:17 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Foster
Hi Steve;
I have a GY300, it uses the same batteries and charger as HD100. I've been using them with my HD 100, work well just don't last long.
I'll be up grading to something with more power not sure what.
Jack
I actually got an IDX certificate with the camera, the place still had two left over. Even though the period is up, they are going to try to get me it.

Regardless, I like the fact of having extra batteries on hand, even if it last just 10 minutes longer.
Old May 11th, 2006, 08:07 PM   #4
Major Player

I finally tested it for about 2 Minutes in 720/30P! Wow already. I didn't even check settings yet. I still have to get the hang of focus, but the stuff that was in focus was incredible. In about a week hopefully I can post some stuff.
Old May 11th, 2006, 08:48 PM   #5
Regular Crew

do u have SSE? i got my camera today, it has SSE@18db :(

donno whether to send it back for calib or not...
Old May 11th, 2006, 09:37 PM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Ganesh

You're joking right?

SSE at +18db is reasonable.

If you plan on using +18db gain, SSE won't be the main issue. +18db gain will have a lot of noise.

I have SSE at +6db but barely showing if you really try hard to force SSE.
I still need to send my camera in for the "A" upgrade. I will also ask them to please calibrate it.
If I get it back with SSE barely showing at +18db, I'll be extremely happy!
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2006, 09:46 PM   #7
Regular Crew

yeah i know - but if they can calibrate it and make SSE dissappear @18db why not use it (all for free)?
Old May 11th, 2006, 10:17 PM   #8
Major Player

Looks like I get to join the club of people who just unwrapped a brand new HD100... What a great club it is! This is a really solid camera. I got it because I knew it could be greatly customized and it definitely can. If I could change anything it would be the LCD & viewfinder as they're not at all on par with Sony material (FX1/Z1U). But it has so many great features. I too will be getting used to the focusing, but overall am a very happy customer.
Chad Terpstra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2006, 04:50 AM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Ganesh

I didn't have it yet, but I didn't push the camera to find it yet either although it is on my list of things to do. If (When) it happens, I will probably send it to get calibrated. Why not have that not be a problem?
Old May 12th, 2006, 09:36 AM   #10
Regular Crew

How are you monitoring footage

Hi
How is everyone looking at their footage? I have a 32 inch HD LCD with component in. Footage viewed this way from the camera looks good for close ups but wide angle shots are not sharp. But when I digitize the same footage into my NLE, cut it up and export the cut as an mt2 file and view it in the computer on Windows Media player, the same footage on the same monitor looks great. So I'm wondering what everyone else is using to view their raw footage from the camera?
Jack
Old May 12th, 2006, 10:34 AM   #11
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Hi
How is everyone looking at their footage? I have a 32 inch HD LCD with component in.
There are a bunch of 32" LCD monitors at various price points and with various levels of quality. Moreover, any monitor should be calibrated.

I worry that many are not taking care in what they buy. I researched for 6 months before buying. And, I spent another month calibrating.

My first decisions were:

1) No DLP to avoid headaches and rainbows.

2) Native 1280x720 to avoid scaling.

3) Cheap because technology is changing fast.

4) No exotic tek like XSRD because it has mucho flaws.

5) At least 50-inches because most home viewing is done on 42" to 60" displays.

Having said all this -- if cost is not an object the 42-inch Sony LCD is wonderful. As is the new 46". And, although smallish, the 32" is equally great.

For really cheap and really good -- the Syntax 27" LT27HV or LT27HVS (both native 1280x720). $600 to $750. I have the LT27HV.

I also got the Sony 50A10 at under $2000.

And, you can't beat Panasonic plasmas, but they have very reflective screens and are not native 1280x720.
Old May 12th, 2006, 11:02 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Using Syntax

Hi Steve;
Are you using the Syntax to view raw footage from HD100 via component input? And it looks good.
Jack
Old May 12th, 2006, 01:47 PM   #13
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Hi Steve;
Are you using the Syntax to view raw footage from HD100 via component input? And it looks good.
Jack
Yes I am. After calibrating it for a more uniform gray scale.
Old May 12th, 2006, 02:33 PM   #14
Regular Crew

How

Hi Steve
How do you calibrate it for uniform grey scales? Do you have a program, machine, system?
Thanks
Jack
Old May 12th, 2006, 03:35 PM   #15
Major Player

After a good deal of studio comparison I've found that the 23" Samsung is the best looking image and value as well. 720p, component HDMI and PC ins and if you're using this for actual editing and playback, then 23" is much more appropriate than a 36" or certainly a 42" monitor. The same considerations of distance to monitor come into play with LCD as with CRT monitors and HD and video and graphics.

So realistically, unless you're looking to sit back and view your footage off your camera from 12 feet away, a good 19" - 30" monitor is what you should be looking for.
We've also got a couple of the new 19" Sony Wega 720p monitors that also have PC and component in, that look great as editing monitors as well as field monitors ontop of a Markertek stands.

Both the Samsung 23" and Sony 19" are in the $650 range...incredible deals really.

By the way, we calibrate the LCDs with blue gels and they balance really well with our high res studio CRTs with blue check.
Jim Giberti is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems