Using the DR-HD100U with Final Cut Pro at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old May 12th, 2006, 10:14 AM   #1
JVC America

Using the DR-HD100U with Final Cut Pro

Hi,

A question for Final Cut Pro users:

I know that some of you are using the JVC DR-HD100U HDD recorder with your GY-HD100U cameras to shoot HDV video. At the present time, the only file type choice in the HDV mode is .m2t. (At some point, the .mov file format in the HDV mode will be added to the choices). Final Cut does not recognize the .m2t files, so to use the footage in Final Cut, you have to convert the .m2t files to .mov. My question is: What have you found is the best tool to use to convert the .m2t files to .mov?

Thanks, Carl
Carl Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2006, 09:48 PM   #2
Major Player

Carl,

I don't have the Firestore, but I have transcoded files from .m2t before and have found that MPEG Streamclip works the best. The best thing is that it is a free program.

Dan Weber
Daniel Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2006, 09:13 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi Carl,

I'm using Lumiere, and I'm not a very technical guy, but I create a file that FCP reads using the AIC (Apple Intermediate Codec).

Cutting is very easy with a MacBook Pro, I am now using Tim Dashwood's settings in Final Cut.

Tom Chaney
Tom Chaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2006, 06:49 PM   #4
Major Player

We have the DR-HD100 and FCPro. I would use MPEG Streamclip as well and choose a quicktime codec that would add the least bit of recompression.

That said, we are waiting for the firmware to use .movs, because transcoding an hour of material is going to take a long time and to us, just continuing to use tape in the short term is best.

Dave Beaty
Dave Beaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2006, 07:34 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Hicks
Hi,

A question for Final Cut Pro users:

I know that some of you are using the JVC DR-HD100U HDD recorder with your GY-HD100U cameras to shoot HDV video. At the present time, the only file type choice in the HDV mode is .m2t. (At some point, the .mov file format in the HDV mode will be added to the choices). Final Cut does not recognize the .m2t files, so to use the footage in Final Cut, you have to convert the .m2t files to .mov. My question is: What have you found is the best tool to use to convert the .m2t files to .mov?

Thanks, Carl
FCP 5.0 and up captures native HDV without transcoding and there is an Easy Setup for 720p30 which works with the HD 100. I actually like the 30p better than 24p anyway.

The big news at NAB from JVC was that FCP and the HD 100 will support 720p24 over Firewire real soon. They were actually using a developers release to demo it.
Old May 14th, 2006, 07:50 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Perry
FCP 5.0 and up captures native HDV without transcoding and there is an Easy Setup for 720p30 which works with the HD 100. I actually like the 30p better than 24p anyway.

The big news at NAB from JVC was that FCP and the HD 100 will support 720p24 over Firewire real soon. They were actually using a developers release to demo it.
The problem is that there shouldn't be any capture when using a DR-HD100 or similar type HDD. The whole real point is so that the files are ready to be either transferred to another hard-drive or are ready to edit right away.

From what I gather, both the Citidisk people and Focus Enhancements (DR-HD100) are working on a firmware update that wraps the MPEG-2 clip in a quicktime file so it works in FCP. I assume pulldown will also be removed at this time as well.
Steve Benner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2006, 12:08 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Chaney
Hi Carl,

Cutting is very easy with a MacBook Pro, I am now using Tim Dashwood's settings in Final Cut.

Tom Chaney
Where do I find these at?
DJ Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2006, 05:02 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Benner
The problem is that there shouldn't be any capture when using a DR-HD100 or similar type HDD. The whole real point is so that the files are ready to be either transferred to another hard-drive or are ready to edit right away.

From what I gather, both the Citidisk people and Focus Enhancements (DR-HD100) are working on a firmware update that wraps the MPEG-2 clip in a quicktime file so it works in FCP. I assume pulldown will also be removed at this time as well.
Steve,

You are correct. I mis-read the post thinking that we were discussing the camera itself, not the drive.
Old May 15th, 2006, 07:52 AM   #9
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Lewis
Where do I find these at?
Tim Dashwood's settings? In a "sticky" at the top of the forum. See http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=62835

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2006, 02:11 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Tim Dashwood's FCP settings

DJ,

Actually I found Tim's settings that work best for me here:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...oading+hdv+fcp

Hope this helps.

Tom

PS Transform the m2t to AIC in Lumiere HD
Tom Chaney is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems