DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   New Broadcast Commercial Footage of Hd100 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/67270-new-broadcast-commercial-footage-hd100.html)

Ben Jehoshua May 12th, 2006 07:40 PM

New Broadcast Commercial Footage of Hd100

Hi everybody,
We shot three commercials with the HD100 connected to a big rig, Mini35 adapter and cook lens. Here's a link to some of the footage our client released so far.

www.imagelinemedia.com/hd100

Ben Jehoshua
www.imagelinemedia.com

Chris Hurd May 12th, 2006 08:00 PM

Looks great! Very impressive Ben. Thanks for sharing this with us!

Steven Thomas May 12th, 2006 10:59 PM

Yes, very impressive.

Ben, is it possible to download the entire commercials?

Ben Jehoshua May 13th, 2006 11:06 AM

Download

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven Thomas
Yes, very impressive.

Ben, is it possible to download the entire commercials?

Steven, it will be possible once the spots are on the air, I'll post them in HD, We are still bound by confidentiality agreement to our client (toy business can be so, so serious sometimes).
Once the spots start airing (next month), or as soon as we can, we'll post everything on here.
We are very, very happy with the workflow and results so far.

Ben Jehoshua
www.imagelinemedia.com

Steven Thomas May 13th, 2006 01:05 PM

I thought that might be the case. I doesn't hurt to ask. :)
I'm looking forward to seeing the full HD post.

Ben Jehoshua May 13th, 2006 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Hurd
Looks great! Very impressive Ben. Thanks for sharing this with us!

You're very welcome Chris, I would like to know if there are people like us out there utilizing the HD100 in similar ways.
We are shooting a feature documentary right now, I will start posting some of the footage as soon as we have some segments cut.

Ben Jehoshua

Ron German May 14th, 2006 09:32 AM

Great!

Congratulations Ben.

The latitude and colour contrast produced by this camera are fantastic.
It Looks like a very well exposed Fuji negative material. Veeery filmic.

Do you think the image would be too diferent if you had used the stock Fujinon zoom? If so, what kind of diference they would have showed?

Best regards

Ron

Ben Jehoshua May 14th, 2006 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron German
Do you think the image would be too diferent if you had used the stock Fujinon zoom? If so, what kind of diference they would have showed?

Best regards

Ron

Ron,
Thanks for the praise,
The image would be vastly different if we used the stock lens, mainly because the stock lens has a few issues to content with:

1) There is color fringing when you zoom in, that comes from the fact that the glass is not that great
2) We wouldn't be able to take so much of the frame out of focus like film does becuase the aparture of the camera is too small, everything is always in focus, unlike film
3) The lens we used is very fast and sensitive, and easy to focus and control by the AC so that we could create more camera moves efficiently without shooting a million takes (27 was our record I believe)
We are shooting a documentary with our camera and the stock lens, and we are very very happy with the look though.

Ben Jehoshua
www.imagelinemedia.com

Paolo Ciccone May 14th, 2006 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben Jehoshua
2) We wouldn't be able to take so much of the frame out of focus like film does becuase the aparture of the camera is too small, everything is always in focus, unlike film

I just remembered a technical detail about this. When talking about the configuration that we used, Mako, the AC, showed me that the Cooke lens was used almost always wide open and controlling the aperture via the Mini35.

Ron German May 14th, 2006 07:55 PM

Ben
Thank you for your response.
Before I decided to order my GY-HD100A, I had the camera with the stock zoom for aprox. 8 minutes in a event here in Rio de Janeiro.
I made a very quick test in SD (DV mode) with many shots with diferent focal distances, including 4 or 5 with the end of the zoom (f2.0 - 2.8).
Aparently I didn`t get the CA even once.
So when exactly this color fringing shows itself?
Best
Ron

Daniel Patton May 14th, 2006 09:35 PM

On ours it's obvious at f1.8-2.8 even in the best of lighting conditions, wide or worse when tight. But you don't notice viewing off of the cameras LCD or VF. Did you look at any of the playback on a larger monitor?

Ben Jehoshua May 15th, 2006 03:18 PM

We get the color issue at almost every level of the zoom, maybe it's an issue of consistency in production and not of the lens type in general.

Ben Jehoshua
www.imagelinemedia.com

Daniel Patton May 15th, 2006 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben Jehoshua
We get the color issue at almost every level of the zoom, maybe it's an issue of consistency in production and not of the lens type in general.

Ben Jehoshua
www.imagelinemedia.com

You mean at lower than f2.8 right? If you are seeing it at higher stops... then that is something you should have JVC fix or replace.

Ron German May 16th, 2006 09:44 AM

Daniel
I watched the recorded images on a normal 28`widescreen CRT TV/monitor.
BEST
Ron

Warren Shultz May 16th, 2006 10:32 AM

It seems to show itself most with backlit and especially over-exposed areas. For example, an interior shot that shows a window edge that is out of focus in the background will easily show it.