CAVision Filters any good? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old January 29th, 2007, 01:59 PM   #16
Major Player

Nate, I'd be interested to hear your thoughts. It occured to me that the more professional filters such as Tiffen and Schneider might cost so much more because they're meant to handle much greater resolutions (35mm film) than HD video. Maybe the Cavisions are good up to a point of resolution... Just a thought.

Also, have you ever handled the Cavision 5x5 mattebox?
http://www.cavision.com/matteboxes/5x5mb/MB5086H2.htm
It looks decent, but you never know until you get your hands on it. Let me know if you have. Thanks.
Chad Terpstra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2007, 02:47 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Quote:
You get the ND .9, Black Frost, and Tru-Polarizer for under $400.
Cavision offers the same thing for 1/3 of that. I see no difference in the quality.
Brian Wells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2007, 04:45 PM   #18
Major Player

One thing I've heard (possibly in this thread) was that Cavision doesn't always cut their filters to exact size so they could be tight in the holder worse, fall out. Have you seen this, Brian? Also, did you by any chance to comparison tests? I'd be curious to see if you have.

It does make for a tough call when their price is so much less. I just don't want to find a quality issue down now or down the road and paying more is worth that... Hmm....
Chad Terpstra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2007, 04:14 AM   #19
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate Weaver View Post
I've always thought the Cavision matte boxes were horrid, but I bought their 5 filter 4x4 set, and after unpacking just now, I have to say I'm very pleasantly surprised.

I'll be shooting in the desert here for 4 days this week, and using them a bunch. I'll try to make sure to check in here with my experience.

Even if they do wind up having shortcomings, man, for the money...

You think? Seemed more like a 2 to me. Either way, I bet I only use it once or twice, ever, because it's just too strong. I labeled mine "Dear Penthouse" on the pouch.
Hey Nate, anything new on that? I'm also considering getting one of the Cavision kits to complete my Tiffen set. For the price it's really tempting. It would be great to hear your findings about the quality, specially in comparison to the more expensive brands like Tiffen and Schneider.
Michael Maier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2007, 11:54 AM   #20
Wrangler

I can't find anything wrong so far with the filters I've bought. I've had months to look at the material I shot in the desert with the 350 (on a razor sharp Pana 17" monitor via HD-SDI), and I detect no softness or other issues whatsoever.

At this point, the only downsides I can see to their filters are the fact that they're not something you'd go boasting about while shooting for somebody else, and the fact that they've only got the very basics covered in their selection. Oh, the SoftFX filter they have is way, way too heavy as well.

But to get a collection started, they seem like a fine way to go.
Old April 1st, 2007, 12:20 PM   #21
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate Weaver View Post
But to get a collection started, they seem like a fine way to go.
What does your set include? Is this the set you have and tried?
http://www.cavision.com/filters/4x4.htm
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

Do you find the graduated filters to be go in their graduation? I believe Tim mentioned they were a little abrupt.

How is there any advantage to a more expensive polarizer than the Cavision?

Thanks.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2007, 03:28 PM   #22
Trustee

I have just got the cavision 5x5 hard shade matte box....it is very good. So much better made than the 4x4 one i have of theirs. Its mostly metal...really solid, heavy...very impressed!!
Old June 11th, 2007, 08:05 AM   #23
Major Player

Phil, will the 4x4 filters work in the 5x5 mattebox or do you have to buy all 5x5? What are you using? I love the swing-away-ability about it. How does it attach to your 35mm lenses (the Nikons)?
Old June 11th, 2007, 04:17 PM   #24
Trustee

Hi Chad

With the universal filter holder it takes 5x5, 4x4 and 4x5.65

Its really too big and heavy with the swing away for 35mm adaptor work, its really for big wide angle lenses...Redrocks new matte box looks the perfect one for adaptors...when it comes out!
Old July 10th, 2008, 07:12 PM   #25
Major Player

And a little over a year later the Red Rock matte box is only a few days away... Finally.... :-P

Anyone care to weigh in on the Cavision filters any more? I'm finally buying a few of my own now. Also I'm interested in the difference/preference in Scheider vs. Tiffen polarizers. I've used the Scheider Tru-Pol and it seems decent but didn't jump out at me... Could have been the conditions.
Old July 11th, 2008, 08:48 AM   #26
Sponsor: Schneider Optics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Terpstra View Post
Nate, I'd be interested to hear your thoughts. It occured to me that the more professional filters such as Tiffen and Schneider might cost so much more because they're meant to handle much greater resolutions (35mm film) than HD video. Maybe the Cavisions are good up to a point of resolution... Just a thought.

Also, have you ever handled the Cavision 5x5 mattebox?
http://www.cavision.com/matteboxes/5x5mb/MB5086H2.htm
It looks decent, but you never know until you get your hands on it. Let me know if you have. Thanks.
HD video requires water-white optical glass which a few manufacturers offer. Resin filters (CaVision, Lee, Cokin, etc) are not HD optical quality.

We have made a low cost filter kit with the budget concious HD user in mind:

http://www.schneideroptics.com/Ecomm....aspx?CID=1431

Now you can buy Schneider quality at a reasonable price.

Ryan Avery
Schneider Optics
Ryan Avery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2008, 08:51 AM   #27

Quote:
And a little over a year later the Red Rock matte box is only a few days away... Finally.... :-P

Anyone care to weigh in on the Cavision filters any more? I'm finally buying a few of my own now. Also I'm interested in the difference/preference in Scheider vs. Tiffen polarizers. I've used the Scheider Tru-Pol and it seems decent but didn't jump out at me... Could have been the conditions.
The Schneider True-Pol features and extinction ratio of 374; 12 times that of the nearest competitor. This means that you can more effectively polarize light in less than idea conditions. Less than ideal conditions would be anything where the light source (the sun) is off 90 degrees from the optical axis. Any polarizer will do just fine at high noon with the camera pointed horizontally. Anything else will create less than effective polarization. Not all polarizers are perfect and any product no matter how good it is has limitations.

Ryan Avery
Schneider Optics
Old July 29th, 2008, 02:06 PM   #28
Major Player

Ryan, can you do custom bundles? Here's what I need:
- Tru-Pol Linear Polarizer
- ND.9 solid
- ND.9 Medium/hard edge grad
- maybe a Black frost 1/2

The combo you highlighted looks great but doesn't have quite what I need and buying the separate is more expensive. Also is it true that Linear polarizers offer more polarization? The one Schneider Tru-Pol I was using was circular (which came with another bundle).

Anyone know anything about RedRock's new filters? Such as where they came from and how good they are? I'm not interested in the set because it's not enough ND and the pola is circular but it'd be good to know.
http://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl/c....c=2&category=4
Old July 30th, 2008, 11:12 AM   #29

Quote:
Ryan, can you do custom bundles? Here's what I need:
- Tru-Pol Linear Polarizer
- ND.9 solid
- ND.9 Medium/hard edge grad
- maybe a Black frost 1/2

The combo you highlighted looks great but doesn't have quite what I need and buying the separate is more expensive. Also is it true that Linear polarizers offer more polarization? The one Schneider Tru-Pol I was using was circular (which came with another bundle).

Anyone know anything about RedRock's new filters? Such as where they came from and how good they are? I'm not interested in the set because it's not enough ND and the pola is circular but it'd be good to know.
http://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl/c....c=2&category=4
Chad,

We only make these in this kit and these specific types. Everything else is regular Schneider branding and prices. You can pick and choose from the Century kit and just get the ones in the kit that interest you. Each list price $129.00 USD.

Linear polarizers have the same effectiveness that circular polarizers do. Circular polarizers simply have a 1/4 wave plate retarder that prevents cross-polarization in 35mm motion picture and 35mm still cameras created by the video tap and/or focusing prism. Video cameras do not have this feature unless they are really old tube cameras or some early Sony models from the 1980's. I suspect you aren't shooting these so go with the linear polarizer and save some cash.

If the standard Schneider 4x4s are too much for your budget, then go with the Century 4x4s in the types you do want and make the call on the others. Either way, you get what you pay for. A low cost monitor or battery won't show up in your final shot, but a low cost critical element (filter/lens/tripod) will.

Ryan Avery
Schneider Optics
Old July 30th, 2008, 12:54 PM   #30
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Avery View Post
Linear polarizers have the same effectiveness that circular polarizers do. Circular polarizers simply have a 1/4 wave plate retarder that prevents cross-polarization in 35mm motion picture and 35mm still cameras created by the video tap and/or focusing prism. Video cameras do not have this feature unless they are really old tube cameras or some early Sony models from the 1980's. I suspect you aren't shooting these so go with the linear polarizer and save some cash.
I've been trying to convince people of this for years and I'm glad you've backed me up by explaining that a RGB splitting prism does not require a circular polarizer. I've always used linear polarizers on 3-chip CCD video cameras with wonderful results.

Quote:
By the way, Tim do you know how the ND2 on the HD100 camera body compares with the .9? Are they the same amount of light blocking?
Sorry I missed this a year and a half ago. ND1 (1/4 - 2 stops) is equal to N.6 and ND2 (1/16 - 4 stops) is equal to N1.2

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems