CAVision Filters any good? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old June 11th, 2009, 04:49 PM   #31
Regular Crew

It sounds an interesting deal. I would like to go with quality optics so a bit cautious about the CaVision filters.

My question though, is these only come as 4X4... For widescreen, shouldn't I be needing the 4X5.65 (or panavision size) filters?

Anyone know the real difference here with the extra 1.65" ?

Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Avery View Post
HD video requires water-white optical glass which a few manufacturers offer. Resin filters (CaVision, Lee, Cokin, etc) are not HD optical quality.

We have made a low cost filter kit with the budget concious HD user in mind:

Century DV/HDV Filters - Schneider Optics

Now you can buy Schneider quality at a reasonable price.

Ryan Avery
Schneider Optics
Christopher Warwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2009, 09:52 AM   #32
Major Player

You don't need the 4x5.56 filters for widescreen but it all depends on how wide your widest lens is or the diameter of the lens.

A note to all about Cavision filters: I rolled the dice last year on their new lineup of 4x5.56's (an ND1.2 and a Grad .9). The quality was HORRIBLE. The ND grad looked more like a purple party color than ND. It literally was that off-color. It could have been a cool color effect but it was anything but neutral.

The straight ND was significantly better but still had a VERY strong purple cast to it. It would be something that'd be very hard to time out in post and was thus completely unacceptable. I sent them both back immediately for a full refund from Adorama.com. Go with Schneider and you won't regret it. Buying quality gear only hurts once. The other stuff keeps hurting.
Old June 12th, 2009, 09:55 AM   #33
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Terpstra View Post
Buying quality gear only hurts once. The other stuff keeps hurting.
Well said.
Old June 24th, 2009, 04:11 AM   #34
Major Player

circular or linear polarizer with mini35 / JVC adapter ?

Tim, have you any info on this specific camera set-up and pola filters ?
Claude Mangold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2009, 07:18 AM   #35
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Terpstra View Post
A note to all about Cavision filters: I rolled the dice last year on their new lineup of 4x5.56's (an ND1.2 and a Grad .9). The quality was HORRIBLE. The ND grad looked more like a purple party color than ND. It literally was that off-color. It could have been a cool color effect but it was anything but neutral.

The straight ND was significantly better but still had a VERY strong purple cast to it. It would be something that'd be very hard to time out in post and was thus completely unacceptable. I sent them both back immediately for a full refund from Adorama.com. Go with Schneider and you won't regret it. Buying quality gear only hurts once. The other stuff keeps hurting.
Thanks Chad

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems