DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   CAVision Filters any good? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/67342-cavision-filters-any-good.html)

Adam Craig May 14th, 2006 11:24 AM

CAVision Filters any good?

Hey dudes, I'm looking to buy a starter set of filters for my shiny new matte box. Are Cavision filters worth while or would you go with another brand.

Daniel Weber May 14th, 2006 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam Craig
Hey dudes, I'm looking to buy a starter set of filters for my shiny new matte box. Are Cavision filters worth while or would you go with another brand.

Go with another brand!!! Run away from Cavision as fast as you can!!!

Dan Weber

Webb Pickersgill May 14th, 2006 01:10 PM

Daniel, can you explain why please?

Daniel Weber May 14th, 2006 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Webb Pickersgill
Daniel, can you explain why please?

Webb,

About 6 years ago I bought a Cavision Mattebox, wide angle convertor and several filters.

They quality of the materials and construction of the items purchased was horrible. I returned them back to Canada where the company is based. I lost over $200 in shipping costs and import taxes that I had to pay.

I know some people are attracted by their low costs, but you will be much happier if you go with a company like Centrury Optics, Tiffen, B&H, Chroziel, etc.

I am sure that someone will respond with a message saying that they are very happy with their Cavision purchase, but I wasn't and I just want to save someone from the waste of time and money that I went through.

Just my opinion,

Dan Weber

Steven D. Martin May 14th, 2006 01:39 PM

Cavision OK by me

I got a set of Cavision filters- the set with a black mist, an ND grad, a sky blue grad, a sunset grad, and a polarizer, and think they're great. I use the black mist all the time. I bought mine fairly recently, so perhaps the materials have improved over time; who knows.

Just my two cents-
+Steve

Gary Williams May 15th, 2006 12:23 PM

I use Tiffen and have been very happy ith them.

Webb Pickersgill May 15th, 2006 08:22 PM

Thanks for the explanation Daniel.

I recently bought a Chrosziel mattebox, but I went for the CAVision filter kit since it seemed to be a pretty good bang for the buck. I haven't had time to get out and test them all out, so that's why I was asking. I also bought a few Tiffen Filters (ND and low-contrast), so I will compare the quality of image using each filter to see if there is a noticible difference. Thanks.

Brian J. Harris August 11th, 2006 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Webb Pickersgill
Thanks for the explanation Daniel.

I recently bought a Chrosziel mattebox, but I went for the CAVision filter kit since it seemed to be a pretty good bang for the buck. I haven't had time to get out and test them all out, so that's why I was asking. I also bought a few Tiffen Filters (ND and low-contrast), so I will compare the quality of image using each filter to see if there is a noticible difference. Thanks.

Hey Webb,

Sorry, I know this is an old post, but do you have information you could share about your experiences with the Cavision filters vs. the Tiffen?

Any info. will be greatly appreciated.

Gary Williams August 11th, 2006 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian J. Harris
Hey Webb,

Sorry, I know this is an old post, but do you have information you could share about your experiences with the Cavision filters vs. the Tiffen?

The tiffens should be much better.

Scott Harper August 12th, 2006 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian J. Harris
Hey Webb,

Buying Cavision filters is very hit and miss. I did several tests with mine, a while back and the results were shocking. For example, when I tested the Cavision polarizer it seemed fine on wide shots but I could not get a focus at all on close ups. The glass is cheap and a waste of money in my opinion. Not to mention that all the filters seemed to be different sizes- some too big, so you had to force the filter into the holder and others too small, so much so that when you turned the filter upside down and slightly shook it, the filter would simply fall out of the holder.

Save your money until you can afford Tiffen. You'll be glad you did.

Tip McPartland August 12th, 2006 02:02 PM

Tiffen MAYBE not top of the heap...

Schneider has some advantages of Tiffen. Their Tru Pol is reputed to be better than Tiffen's polarizer, and a polarizer is my most-used filter I have alos heard that Schneider uses better glass and that Tiffen doesn't use coatings, Schneider does. Prices are similar. Can anyone verifty or debunk what I heard or read about glass quality and coatings?

Brian Wells January 25th, 2007 12:33 PM

I'm about to purchase a set of ND filters. Here are the prices I'm looking at:

Schneider = 175.33
Tiffen = 174.95
Cavision = 46.95

Now, let me say I've been extremely satisfied with the Schneider's I bought for my video camera a few years ago. But, that's partly because the amount of money they cost. How could I not be happy with them? They cost me two grand at the time. But, I just don't have that kind of expendable cash anymore.

As I'm moving on to a film camera I need to have ND's for exposure control. If these Cavision filters do what they're supposed to do, I see little reason to buy American anymore. Of course, there will always be room for innovative companies like Tiffen and Schneider that offer a wider variety of diffusion and color fx. But, for basic exposure control, these Cavision filters are probably tough competition.

I'll let you know what I think of them when they arrive.

Tim Dashwood January 25th, 2007 01:04 PM

I have a set of Cavision filters and I think the ND filters and polarizer do a fine job. However, I'm not impressed with the Cavision grad filters. The gradation edge doesn't seem to transition as smooth as it could.
I also have one of their "Soft Focus" filters that I use on occasion. It seems to diffuse about as much as a Promist 1.

Chad Terpstra January 27th, 2007 01:41 PM

As far as starter kits go I think Schneider has the best option:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation

You get the ND .9, Black Frost, and Tru-Polarizer for under $400.

The only filter I've ever owned was a ring-mounted Tiffen Polarizer for my HD100 and was very happy with it. If they offered a kit with an ND and a Polarizer I might consider it.

By the way, Tim do you know how the ND2 on the HD100 camera body compares with the .9? Are they the same amount of light blocking?

Nate Weaver January 29th, 2007 12:50 PM

I've always thought the Cavision matte boxes were horrid, but I bought their 5 filter 4x4 set, and after unpacking just now, I have to say I'm very pleasantly surprised.

I'll be shooting in the desert here for 4 days this week, and using them a bunch. I'll try to make sure to check in here with my experience.

Even if they do wind up having shortcomings, man, for the money...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood
I also have one of their "Soft Focus" filters that I use on occasion. It seems to diffuse about as much as a Promist 1

You think? Seemed more like a 2 to me. Either way, I bet I only use it once or twice, ever, because it's just too strong. I labeled mine "Dear Penthouse" on the pouch.