Best way to remove Pulldown? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old May 15th, 2006, 04:35 PM   #1
Major Player

Best way to remove Pulldown?

What is the best way to remove the 3:2 pulldown that puts the 24fps into 60fps without using Lumiere or HDVxDV? Knowing that soon Final Cut will be releasing support for 24fpsHDV, I'm reluctant to buy any software that will soon be unnecessary. However, using DVHSCap, there is no option to remove the pulldown on capture. And since I have no desire to edit in a 60p timebase when two thirds of the temporal data is irrelevant, I'd like to find a work around that' fairly painless & quick.

Any ideas?
Chad Terpstra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2006, 07:12 PM   #2
Major Player

OK, I think I found it.... In MPEG Streamclip there is a little box to enter your desired frame rate. It seems like 24 is the best number to enter here rather than 23.98 as this seems to sometimes output the wrong frames from the 60p stream (making some shots effectively 12fps). I don't think this option was in previous versions, but I may be wrong. Surprising I didn't see it 'till now.

Is this what most people are doing to remove the pulldown?
Old May 15th, 2006, 09:05 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Terpstra
OK, I think I found it.... In MPEG Streamclip there is a little box to enter your desired frame rate. It seems like 24 is the best number to enter here rather than 23.98 as this seems to sometimes output the wrong frames from the 60p stream (making some shots effectively 12fps). I don't think this option was in previous versions, but I may be wrong. Surprising I didn't see it 'till now.

Is this what most people are doing to remove the pulldown?
This causes audio problems.
Steve Benner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2006, 09:29 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Benner
This causes audio problems.
Ok. Could you be more specific? What kind of audio problems? Which part -choosing 24fps in MPEG Streamclip or MPEG Streamclip itself? Is there another option?
Old May 16th, 2006, 05:20 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Ok. Could you be more specific? What kind of audio problems? Which part -choosing 24fps in MPEG Streamclip or MPEG Streamclip itself? Is there another option?
I ran this test a few days ago, and the audio was completely out of sync. Maybe a can upload a file later to Yousendit. Let me see if I still have it.

EDIT: I do not sill have it, but later today when everyone is awake I will do the test again. I tested it with playing my Bass, that way it would be easy to detect. It was simple to see how out off sync it was.
Old May 16th, 2006, 07:29 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Benner
I ran this test a few days ago, and the audio was completely out of sync. Maybe a can upload a file later to Yousendit. Let me see if I still have it.

EDIT: I do not sill have it, but later today when everyone is awake I will do the test again. I tested it with playing my Bass, that way it would be easy to detect. It was simple to see how out off sync it was.
I just did another test, which I am going to post, and the audio is fine when converted to 23.98 and all frames are real frames. Hmm...I don't kknow what happended the first time.
Old May 16th, 2006, 09:06 AM   #7
Major Player

Here is the link the the M2T files in 59.96.

It is me playing the Metropolis Bass Solo by Dream Theater, along with a quick exceprt of Yyz from Rush. The audio is clipping pretty bad, but the test was reguading sync issues so ignore the clipping.

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.ph...55DDCD4D5584EB

I am uploading the AIC 720/24P files in a few minutes. It can be edited in FCP by changing the sequence settings to 23.98 and the codec to AIC. The file is only the first half of the video because yousendit cannot handle more than 100MB

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.ph...8E7B1B6BF566B8

Last edited by Steve Benner; May 16th, 2006 at 09:46 AM.
Old May 16th, 2006, 12:03 PM   #8
Major Player

That's bad news to me actually because in my tests converting to 23.98 resulted in halving of the frame rate for some shots within a clip. It seems that using MPEG Streamclip to remove the pulldown is kind of a hit-or-miss situation.

For my test I had multiple shots within one mt2 file. Before conversion, I did a "Fix timecode" to account for the different shots. It worked when going to 24fps, but not 23.98 (meaning I got whole frames with 24fps). Don't know about the audio though because it was just traffic & not easy to tell.

Does anyone know a consistent solution?

(Nice base-playing BTW)
Old May 16th, 2006, 12:16 PM   #9
Trustee

Quote:
Does anyone know a consistent solution?
Consistent only if your willing to jump ship Click here
Stephen L. Noe is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems