Seeing the footage in best possible way at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old May 16th, 2006, 12:23 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Seeing the footage in best possible way

The images from the camera is good - but there is no WOW factor when viewed in my monitor

I have HP Pavilion F1903 19" LCD Monitor (with DVI)
Native resolution: 1280 x 1024
Response time: 20 ms
Maximum refresh rate: 75 Hz
Contrast ratio: 500:1
Brightness: 250 nits (typical)

I am not sure if I am seeing the footage in the best possible way (as I have nothing to compare with). I am thinking of buying a hybrid HD TV/monitor - if possible in the $1500 range

So, If you have $1500 to spend on a monitor (not on-camera), what would you buy?
Old May 16th, 2006, 04:03 PM   #2
Major Player

I love our DELL 24" with the HD100.

As for the "wow" factor, I would have to ask are you viewing other peoples footage, your own? Are you using Paolos DSC matched settings (it wows us), or are you using the camera default (drab) settings? Also what exactly are you shooting? If you shoot nothing special then you should expect just that.

We get great results with the HD100 and everything we shoot, but we also get to shoot some pretty cool @#$%!

So you are looking at footage that you digitized through the 1394 cable and not directly during capture or even off the camera tape direct, right? You need a native HD monitor with component inputs. DVI is doing nothing for you.
RED ONE #977
Daniel Patton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2006, 09:23 PM   #3
Major Player

I have to second the Dell 24" monitor in that it allows you to view HD footage directly through component inputs just like an HD TV. However, it does have an occasional issue with ghosting, but that is mainly a problem with interlaced signals. Here's a test I ran from a Canon GL2 (interlaced):

http://video.terpstar.com/DellGhosting/

Other than that, the monitor is SWEET. It's also GREAT for checking exposure live and testing the camera's settings while being able to really see the differences. I haven't used it "in the field" yet, but likely will soon.
Chad Terpstra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2006, 09:42 PM   #4
Major Player

Wow, I never noticed that much ghosting with ours, but then again we also didn't have a lot of fast motion during our couple days of hard shooting either. We shot with two HD100's, one to the Dell and one to a Panasonic HD Pro LCD (far more $$$ than the DELL). I had better detail and feedback from the Dell and would take it any day over the pricy Panasonic LCD.

A friend who uses the Apple LCD display even commented that he was surprised the DELL looked better. And at that price you just can't get a better multi purpose monitor, we tried.

Just noticed you said Interlaced, duuuu I must be tired. We shoot everything progressive, that explains it.
RED ONE #977
Old May 17th, 2006, 09:02 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Dell resolution

Hi
Whats the native resolution of the Dell monitor?
Jack
Jack Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2006, 10:00 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Foster
Hi
Whats the native resolution of the Dell monitor?
Jack
1920x1200

Dan Weber
Daniel Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2006, 08:48 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Patton
We shot with two HD100's, one to the Dell and one to a Panasonic HD Pro LCD
I had put away my Dell 2405 for monitoring due to me thinking it wasn't a good preview monitor based on my experience using it with the HVX-200 and that it didn't have contrast and brightness settings in the menu so I couldn't set up color bars very well.

Well I pulled it back out and realized a couple things. The noise I was seeing with the HVX and was blamed on the Dell in other forums wasn't there using the HD-100. Sure there's HD-100 noise, but not like the HVX. I've plugged a Sony into it and that was very clean. At this point I think people out there saying the Dell is too noisy via the component inputs are incorrect. The Dell is just fine.

The next thing I figured out was that you get to the contrast/brightness settings by hitting the + or - button NOT the MENU button. No wonder I never found them in the menu, they aren't there!

So now I've got a pretty good preview set up and I agree, it's a good monitor - especially for the money. You can also display native pixel for pixel in 720p if you tell the monitor to do that. I'd be very curious to see it next to the Panasonic LCD. I wish they had a smaller Dell that had the same inputs and quality that was more portable though.

Anyone know how to get one of these on a C-Stand or some other stand? It has a standard set of 4 screws 100mm (4 inches) apart for wall mounting.
Joel Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2006, 09:34 PM   #8
Major Player

I have not tried setting up the Dell on anything other than the base provided, we just had it on a cart and rolled it around, although a good C-stand would be very cool.

We have also looked for another smaller Dell with component inputs and have found nothing. It's a Bummer. If I could only take the 24" on every shoot I would, you simply can NOT go soft on focus with the Dell monster.

I agree that the native 720p setting is great for varification, but believe it or not I let it maintain aspect and stretch to the full 24", then it's big enough without straining to see if you are getting unwanted noise, CA, proper focus, etc.. It was better than the Panasonic for this, I had to squint and "hope" I was not missing anything on Panasonic LCD monitor. As for noise that you might still be seeing with the HD100 and the Dell... let the Dell stretch full (w/aspect) and reduce the detail on the HD100 down to min or off and watch it remove almost all of the remaining noise.
RED ONE #977
Old May 17th, 2006, 10:14 PM   #9
Major Player

I saw tonight online that Costco has the Dell 2405 for $799.

Pretty good price.

Dan Weber
Daniel Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2006, 10:24 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Patton
but believe it or not I let it maintain aspect and stretch to the full 24", then it's big enough without straining to see if you are getting unwanted noise, CA, proper focus, etc.. It was better than the Panasonic for this, I had to squint and "hope" I was not missing anything on Panasonic LCD monitor....

reduce the detail on the HD100 down to min or off and watch it remove almost all of the remaining noise.
Thanks for the thoughts. I'll try letting it uprez with aspect ration maintained.

That's very interesting info about the Panasonic. Did you think the Panasonic represented color information better or was more accurate? It almost sounds like you'd take the Dell if you had to pick between the two, is that right?
Joel Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2006, 01:17 AM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Aaron
Thanks for the thoughts. I'll try letting it uprez with aspect ration maintained.

That's very interesting info about the Panasonic. Did you think the Panasonic represented color information better or was more accurate? It almost sounds like you'd take the Dell if you had to pick between the two, is that right?

Is the Dell a $3500 monitor?? Well... No and thank God, but I believe it's a smoken monitor and yes I would buy my three in place of the one Panasonic. Anyday.
RED ONE #977
Old May 18th, 2006, 07:50 AM   #12
Trustee

Gateway has a 21" 1680x1050 LCD monitor that has HD component inputs and can be bought for around $650.00 at Best Buy. You may be able to find it cheaper online.
Thomas Smet is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems