DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   Using My Canon Camera As Caputre Device (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/67576-using-my-canon-camera-caputre-device.html)

Steve Benner May 17th, 2006 12:30 PM

Using My Canon Camera As Caputre Device

I have a MiniDV Canon ZR-500, and am shooting a movie this summer in SD/24PA. I have run a few tests with the HD100 in 24PA mode, and have used the Canon to caputre to FCP. The first test went fine, the last two had a timecode problem. I thought that any camera can act as a deck with 24PA material?

Nate Weaver May 17th, 2006 03:24 PM

You're right, any camera will work, but if theres minor head alignment issues between the two cams, there will be errors in the DV stream that will throw off the cadence for FCP

Steve Benner May 17th, 2006 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nate Weaver
You're right, any camera will work, but if theres minor head alignment issues between the two cams, there will be errors in the DV stream that will throw off the cadence for FCP

I have a JVC Mini DV camera also, but it needs the heads fixed...I guess there is a higher chance that it will be more compatible.

Ram Ganesh May 17th, 2006 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nate Weaver

what does this mean?

Can i use my old miniDV camera to capture the DV & HDV footage? Pop in the ProHD tape in, and capture via firewire to PPro/Liq7 (potentially saving the HD100 head wear&tear while capturing + reduced number of hours)

Luis Otero May 17th, 2006 04:09 PM

No, the only way to reproduce your JVC HDV material is to use: HD100, the BR-XXX deck or the CU-VH1 "spooler". DV can be reproduced with any MiniDV camera.

Luis

Joe Bowey May 17th, 2006 04:52 PM

Hey I did the same with my canon optura 60 camera and editing it on vegas 4 and it worked flawless. Shot in 24pa and vegas automatically detects it and edits at 23.97. Then burned it to a dvd and NO PROBLEMS.
My computer is not enough to edit HDV so I shoot in SD which works great.

Steve Benner May 17th, 2006 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe Bowey
Hey I did the same with my canon optura 60 camera and editing it on vegas 4 and it worked flawless. Shot in 24pa and vegas automatically detects it and edits at 23.97. Then burned it to a dvd and NO PROBLEMS.
My computer is not enough to edit HDV so I shoot in SD which works great.

My Canon ZR500 is giving me problems...I am going to buy either the Citidisk or the DR-HD100 eventually, but I do not want to wear my heads down in the meantime.

What other camera have been used that work, and is an old JVC camera a better option?