Buy now or wait? HD200... at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old May 18th, 2006, 11:17 AM   #1
New Boot
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Wichita kansas
Posts: 5
Buy now or wait? HD200...

I was planning on buying the GY HD100 in a couple of weeks and have just recently found out about the HD200 version coming out later this year. Will the new features on the HD200 make it worth the wait/extra money?

The main feature that I was interested in is JVC's new 16mm lens adaptor. Will this work on the HD100 as well? Will using the 16mm lens make it easier to rack focus/get a shallow depth of field, or should I still consider buying somthing like a Micro 35?
Greg Trechak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2006, 11:57 AM   #2
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Trechak
I was planning on buying the GY HD100 in a couple of weeks and have just recently found out about the HD200 version coming out later this year. Will the new features on the HD200 make it worth the wait/extra money?

The main feature that I was interested in is JVC's new 16mm lens adaptor. Will this work on the HD100 as well? Will using the 16mm lens make it easier to rack focus/get a shallow depth of field, or should I still consider buying somthing like a Micro 35?

the 16mm adapater will be available for HD100 as well.

The new model is 2K more, and will get you:
1) Slowmotion (720/60P)
2) Flipped image in the viewfinder..

http://www.snipurl.com/jvccomparison
__________________
http://www.wizedot.com
Ram Ganesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2006, 12:00 PM   #3
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,290
That 16mm adaptor works on the hd100 also. You'll probably still want the mini 35 if you're into shallow DOF.

Just get the hd100 now, quit messing around and start shooting.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2006, 12:01 PM   #4
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Ganesh
the 16mm adapater will be available for HD100 as well.

The new model is 2K more, and will get you:
1) Slowmotion (720/60P)
2) Flipped image in the viewfinder..

http://www.snipurl.com/jvccomparison
60p is good for more than just slomo ain't it?
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2006, 12:43 PM   #5
Major Player
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Luce
60p is good for more than just slomo ain't it?
Yes, 60p is the framerate of broadcast HDTV, so if you're shooting for TV, that's the way to go.

If your target is SDTV, 60p preserves the temporal resolution of 60i, while still allowing you to shoot HD for posterity.
Stephan Ahonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2006, 01:37 PM   #6
Major Player
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 219
Being very categoric on the issue >>> what would be point by point difference between HD100 & Hd200 ... I hope we get a comparative answer supplemented with few detail rather then one liners as this will help slow rockers like me :)
__________________
Cheers !

Last edited by Bankim Jain; May 18th, 2006 at 02:49 PM.
Bankim Jain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2006, 02:56 PM   #7
Wrangler
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Toronto, ON, Canada
Posts: 3,637
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bankim Jain
Being very categoric on the issue >>> what would be point by point difference between HD100 & Hd200 ... I hope we get a comparative answer supplemented with few detail rather then one liners as this will help slow rockers like me :)
There are two new models for later this year, the HD200 and HD250. The HD200 is sold with the 16x lens for $7995 MSRP and the HD250 is sold without a lens for $8995 (MSRP.)

The HD200 has all the features of the HD100 as well as:
  • 720P60 encoding/recording to HDV tape
  • Image Inversion recorded to tape for use with 35mm homebuilt adapters (like redrock micro, G35, etc.)

The HD250 has all the features of the HD100 as well as:
  • BNC connectors
  • SDI OUT
  • Timecode IN/OUT plus GENLOCK for slaving multiple cameras
  • 720P60 encoding/recording to HDV tape (also on HD200)
  • Image Inversion recorded to tape for use with 35mm homebuilt adapters (like redrock micro, G35, etc.) (also on HD200)
  • Studio 26-pin configuration (KY-HD250 Studio Adapter) with remote CCU control
  • Professional battery mount included as standard (I'm not sure if this is exclusive to A/B or will also include IDX and PAG)
  • RCA audio out instead of the 1/8" jack
  • 4-pin XLR battery connector
__________________
Tim Dashwood
Tim Dashwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2006, 03:47 PM   #8
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 45
The HD200-250 is not JVC's 2nd gen HDV cams, because they use the same CCDs. They are just updated models and PQ should be the same.
No need to wait if you don't need the new features.
Chris Basmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2006, 04:19 PM   #9
JVC America
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: McKinney, TX
Posts: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood
There are two new models for later this year, the HD200 and HD250. The HD200 is sold with the 16x lens for $7995 MSRP and the HD250 is sold without a lens for $8995 (MSRP.)

The HD200 has all the features of the HD100 as well as:
  • 720P60 encoding/recording to HDV tape
  • Image Inversion recorded to tape for use with 35mm homebuilt adapters (like redrock micro, G35, etc.)

The HD250 has all the features of the HD100 as well as:
  • BNC connectors
  • SDI OUT
  • Timecode IN/OUT plus GENLOCK for slaving multiple cameras
  • 720P60 encoding/recording to HDV tape (also on HD200)
  • Image Inversion recorded to tape for use with 35mm homebuilt adapters (like redrock micro, G35, etc.) (also on HD200)
  • Studio 26-pin configuration (KY-HD250 Studio Adapter) with remote CCU control
  • Professional battery mount included as standard (I'm not sure if this is exclusive to A/B or will also include IDX and PAG)
  • RCA audio out instead of the 1/8" jack
  • 4-pin XLR battery connector
A few more things:

On the two new cameras, there will be actually be two new frame rates in HDV: 720/50P and 720/60P

Also, there will be some more adjustments added to the gamma menu. No specfic details on this yet.

Other than this, Tim's list is accurate.

Regards, Carl
Carl Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2006, 04:34 PM   #10
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Belfast, UK
Posts: 4,121
Seems like the HD 250 is being aimed at broadcasters and the demands camera people who demand higher quality connections etc than can be provided on a more price driven product.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2006, 04:57 PM   #11
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 75
If you need it right away, buy the HD100. If you don't need it right away, wait until the HD200 is released, view some footage, and test out the camera. If the new features (such as 60P) are worth the extra $1800, then get the HD200. If not, then you still have the less expensive option of the HD100.
Rogelio Salinas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2006, 06:02 PM   #12
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 104
Images: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Luce
That 16mm adaptor works on the hd100 also. You'll probably still want the mini 35 if you're into shallow DOF.

Just get the hd100 now, quit messing around and start shooting.
Wouldn't using 16 mm cine lenses also give you a shallow DOF?
Miklos Philips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2006, 06:10 PM   #13
Wrangler
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Toronto, ON, Canada
Posts: 3,637
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miklos Philips
Wouldn't using 16 mm cine lenses also give you a shallow DOF?
Yes. Shallower DOF than the standard 1/3" lens, but not as shallow as 35mm format.

However, there has been some debate on how this PL mount adapter actually works and whether it retains all of the optical characteristics of the 16mm lens or not. We'll have to wait and see.
__________________
Tim Dashwood
Tim Dashwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2006, 07:08 PM   #14
Major Player
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 320
Doesn't it seem that $2000 extra is asking a bit much just for two new features? I guess there's extra gamma features as well, but still it seems like quite a jump.
Chad Terpstra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2006, 08:34 PM   #15
Capt. Quirk
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Middle of the woods in Georgia
Posts: 3,596
Tim or Karl- Will the HD200 have a burnable timecode?
__________________
www.SmokeWagonLeather.us
K. Forman is offline   Reply
Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 



Google
 

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:15 AM.


DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2017 The Digital Video Information Network