DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   720P/25 any one know how,when and if ?? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/67880-720p-25-any-one-know-how-when-if.html)

Robert Bale May 21st, 2006 04:38 PM

720P/25 any one know how,when and if ??

720p/25 Has any one got any idea how to capture 720p/25 ......................or when the fcp update is coming for FCP 5.0.4???????

I have the new JVC HD101 top camera but can't capture Not Happy with FCP People!

Is there a way to film at 720p/30 and then capture film into FCP using the 720p/30 preset and change the frame rate to 25 ???

I have tried a few settings so for no go yet.

David Knaggs May 22nd, 2006 02:16 AM

I'm not sure what the pulldown would be like trying to convert 720p30 to 720p25, but there is an FCP plug-in called Lumiere HD (which I haven't tried) that is supposed to enable you to work in 720p25. Tim Dashwood has made a number of posts about it (do a search of this forum to find them).

I see from another post that you already know about DVHSCap and MPEG Streamclip. You could use MPEG Sreamclip to convert into Apple Intermediate Codec (AIC) at 25p and set up an FCP sequence for AIC720p25. I'm using this for a current job and it's working pretty well.

The exact steps for setting up the sequence are given in steps 27-32 of this thread (post #2) by Tim Dashwood:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=56015

But you need to alter step 31 and change the frame rate to 25 rather than 23.98.

I also put some earlier workflows I used for 25p in this post:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=65189

I believe Tim is compiling (or about to compile) a thread which fully summarizes the current FCP workflow solutions, so keep an eye out for it.

Antony Michael Wilson May 22nd, 2006 03:48 AM

Tell me about it! I'm an Avid user and they were promising 720/25p support 'within weeks' back in September 2005. Still nothing - not even in this summer's update. We are cutting a 1hr documentary with a massive shooting ratio, all shot in 720/25p. We have a work-around but it's a nightmare.

Nima Taheri May 22nd, 2006 10:45 AM

Antony:

I am also a hd101 user editing in Avid. What is your workaround for editing captured hdv from the hd101?

Here is what I do:

- Capture using Capdvhs into mpeg (via Firewire from the hd101)
- Convert the mpeg into quicktime uncompressed with Procoder 2
(- downconvert to SD if needed in Procoder 2)
- Import into Avid

This doesn't really give great quality, but it's the best I can do. Maybe I am wrong, but I am going to try Liquid for my next project, until Avid comes with a 720/25p support.

Antony Michael Wilson May 22nd, 2006 01:12 PM

Hi Nima

Yes, this is pretty much what I'm doing. It's an offline edit at the moment so I'm capturing with Edius, keeping a TC log (yawn), transcoding with Procoder to 14:1P, fast importing into AXPro, manually adjusting source tape and TC...

It's not good at all but it works.

To be honest, we've been using Avid for years, we own a bunch of turnkey systems and - personally - I don't think it's worth familiarising myself with something like Liquid just for the period before Avid supports 720/25p.

Of course, the most efficient way to offline would be to buy the BRHD50 deck...

Robert Bale May 22nd, 2006 04:22 PM

re 720p/25

Thanks Dave i will give a go today..i will letyou know how i go.

Robert Bale May 24th, 2006 03:17 AM

Thanks dave and tim got it.

Filmed a band last night captured droped in FCP and made a DVD!

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED

thankyou

Panos Bournias May 24th, 2006 04:15 AM

Avid update

Looks like the 5.2.5 update of the Xpress Pro HD will not support 25-50 fr. but will provide preview to monitor throught firewire and camera or deck. The Avid people though promised at the forum that the support is coming soon. I think FCP, Avid and Premier will come out together with the PAL support. If not the first one will get a big part of the european market. Using Edius and transcoding for me is a pain. I wait and shoot 30 fr. transcoding in MPG2 NTSC or PAL DVD's.

Robert Bale May 24th, 2006 04:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Bale
Thanks dave and tim got it.

Filmed a band last night captured droped in FCP and made a DVD!

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED

thankyou

Sorry guys i ment to say that it was all in filmed and edited in 720p/25 and all worked fine.

rob.

Mouayed Zabtia May 24th, 2006 05:00 AM

Hello ever one
I was shoot my short film last week 720/25 Pal with my jvc hd100 and I edit with EDIUS NX for HDV and the result perfect , I think EDIUS is the best for NLE system , I use Canopus products from 8 years ago and aim so happy with this company , Canopus allows take care about us