The Dreaded Dead Pixel - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old November 8th, 2006, 08:16 PM   #31
Inner Circle

I have answered my own question and have found that the instructions need a few small additions:

1) Make sure the camera is in 24p.

2) Only one Focus Assist button will work in this operation. Use the button next to the Peaking adjust knob on the left side towards the front of the camera. The Focus Assist button on the handle, while technically on the camera, will not work nor will the RET button on the lens if it's changed to Focus Assist.

3) Turn off Focus Assist if it's on. Press and hold the button then press and hold the Menu/status button.

There you go - Service menu!
Old November 8th, 2006, 11:02 PM   #32
JVC America

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Hohauser
I am unable to get the advanced menu at all. The camera is in 24p mode, no tape and on AC power. It has the firmware upgrade from JVC.

Are the buttons pressed simultaneously or in succesion? If in succession, is the Focus Assist button first or the Menu button? When does the 5 seconds start?

Any help would be appreciated, a dreaded dead pixel has appeared.
William, you press and hold all three buttons at the same time. Hold all three pressed until you see the service menu come up.

Oh, I see now that you figured it out!

Regards,
Old November 9th, 2006, 11:04 AM   #33
Major Player

Carl how many times can this be performed before the masking buffer fills?
Mark Silva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2006, 01:33 PM   #34
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Silva
Carl how many times can this be performed before the masking buffer fills?
That is a great question - I've already had to do the process twice... And I have not put very many hours on the camera. I also wonder if there is a way to empty/reset the buffer. Not something I'm losing too much sleep about, but the warning to "not do it too many times" is a bit vague.

Carl?

john
evilgeniusentertainment.com
John Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2006, 11:31 PM   #35
JVC America

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Vincent
That is a great question - I've already had to do the process twice... And I have not put very many hours on the camera. I also wonder if there is a way to empty/reset the buffer. Not something I'm losing too much sleep about, but the warning to "not do it too many times" is a bit vague.

Carl?

john
I would not worry much about it. In the early days of CCD error correction, the buffer was very small, so you did have to be careful not to over do it. But with the current technology, the memory is much larger. A product engineer I spoke to did not have an exact number, but said it's at least 100, maybe more.
Old November 9th, 2006, 11:55 PM   #36
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Hicks
I would not worry much about it. In the early days of CCD error correction, the buffer was very small, so you did have to be careful not to over do it. But with the current technology, the memory is much larger. A product engineer I spoke to did not have an exact number, but said it's at least 100, maybe more.

excellent!

I REALLY appreciate that feature btw.
Mark Silva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2006, 02:07 AM   #37
Major Player

Just to be sure. I guess the lens cap must be on to perform this function?
Marc Colemont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2006, 05:50 AM   #38
Major Player

No other warranty will be void after performing this yourself? The european service guy told me here that after a certain number of times a hardware change was needed (don't ask me od what exactly), so I'm a bit weary of doing these things myself...
Old November 10th, 2006, 07:21 AM   #39
JVC America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Colemont
Just to be sure. I guess the lens cap must be on to perform this function?
Not necessary to have lens cap on.

The key thing is to make sure the camera isfully warmed up. An hour turned on prior to running the proceedure is a good idea.
Old November 10th, 2006, 07:22 AM   #40
JVC America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werner Wesp
No other warranty will be void after performing this yourself? The european service guy told me here that after a certain number of times a hardware change was needed (don't ask me od what exactly), so I'm a bit weary of doing these things myself...

Here in the U.S. there has been no warranty issues wih this proceedure that I know of. I can't speak for other country's policies.
Old November 10th, 2006, 12:19 PM   #41
Trustee

Carl - thanks for the info! An hour, huh? Good to know... Does jacking up the gain help in any way?

john
John Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2006, 08:31 PM   #42
JVC America

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Vincent
Carl - thanks for the info! An hour, huh? Good to know... Does jacking up the gain help in any way?

john
I don't think so.
Old April 20th, 2007, 12:25 PM   #43
Tourist

HD100 Repeated Dead Bad Pix

Hey everyone - just finished up reading this thread...thought I'd share my experience on this issue. I have an HD100 (still under warranty) that I've had repeated, and uncommonly bright bad pixels develop with on a regular basis.

I fly a lot and so have been very careful to keep my eye on this issue and
at first I thought the highly touted pixel compensation menu was the solution. However, this has not been the case...

I have now had three subsequent shoots marred by significant dead pixel issues on this camera in fairly quick succession - one in Antarctica, one in Cambodia, and one in Oregon.

I should note that in each instance prior to pixel loss:

1. The pixel compensation program was run on the camera AFTER the camera was fully warmed up for over two hours.
2. The pixel compensation software was run AFTER each flight I made with the camera.
3. The problem has developed within 3-7 shooting days of the start of each shoot.

Of course, if I could I would simply shoot everything with a field monitor to be sure dead pixels aren't developing....but as we all know, this isn't always possible.

My thoughts are that a shooter shouldn't be expected to have to run pixel compensation software prior to, and during each shoot, never knowing exactly when - if at all - bad pixels have, or are developing. To me - regardless of what manufacturers may say to protect their product - this is a particular weakness in this particular camera. I've NEVER had this problem except with JVC cameras (and I have two at the moment - though at this point I may never buy another).

My current hope is that JVC has been able to address this weakness in subsequent models as it seems an inherent weakness in the HD100...at this point I'm just trying to figure out what to do with a new camera I can't trust.

-Skye
Skye Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2007, 06:43 PM   #44
New Boot

Thanks you guys soooooo much!

I was freaking out about my lit pixel and BOOM that dang procedure fixed it! I owe you guys my career!

Thanks JVC.

dave
PRODUCER

www.mediaflycreative.com
David Vahey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2007, 09:30 PM   #45
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skye Fitzgerald View Post
I should note that in each instance prior to pixel loss:

1. The pixel compensation program was run on the camera AFTER the camera was fully warmed up for over two hours.
2. The pixel compensation software was run AFTER each flight I made with the camera.
3. The problem has developed within 3-7 shooting days of the start of each shoot.

-Skye
(2) I don't think the pixel compensation program was ever designed to be run so regularly - you've probably filled up the memory. You are only EVER supposed to run the program when you discover a dead pixel (and originally they made you send it in to JVC to do it).

The problem you're relating (3) seems different to standard dead pixels - I'd be returning the camera for a replacement as soon as you can, or if that is not possible at least sending it in to JVC for evaluation. Hope all works out for you.
John Mitchell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems