DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   Sony HDV deck? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/68229-sony-hdv-deck.html)

Carl Martin May 26th, 2006 09:36 AM

Sony HDV deck?

I shot a tape in HDV-SD 60P, and my client says it does not play on his Sony deck. Does anyone have advise on this?

Thank you.

Gil Whitney May 26th, 2006 10:16 AM

As far as I know from my research. (I just got my camera the other day). I know that JVC uses a proprietory codec for HDV and is not compatible with other flavors of HDV. Perhaps this applies to a JVC created HDV-SD 60P tape also.

Carl Martin May 26th, 2006 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gil Whitney
As far as I know from my research. (I just got my camera the other day). I know that JVC uses a proprietory codec for HDV and is not compatible with other flavors of HDV. Perhaps this applies to a JVC created HDV-SD 60P tape also.

Thanks Gil. Sony does claim to be able to play it. The deck keeps resetting itself to 1080i. Is there no way to be able to play in this deck, when shot with a JVC HD100, using HDV-SD 60P?

Thanks.

Daniel Weber May 26th, 2006 11:47 AM

No. Not possible.

JVC uses HDV (1) and Sony uses HDV (2). Search for this on the forum and you will find more info. I think that Steve Mullen had some good posts on this.

Dan Weber

Carl Martin May 26th, 2006 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel Weber
No. Not possible.

JVC uses HDV (1) and Sony uses HDV (2). Search for this on the forum and you will find more info. I think that Steve Mullen had some good posts on this.

Dan Weber

Will it play in a regualar DV deck?

Thanks.

Daniel Weber May 26th, 2006 11:57 AM

Carl,

No it won't. The HDV SD60p is kind of a unique format. I think that JVC has implemented this on their current HDV equipment (HD100, BR50 deck).

Your client is going to have to get his hands on either one of the above units.

Hopefully one day, all this will be settled and we can just put an HDV tape into any HDV deck, camera, etc and they will just play.

That day is not here yet.

Dan Weber

Carl Martin May 26th, 2006 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel Weber
Carl,

No it won't. The HDV SD60p is kind of a unique format. I think that JVC has implemented this on their current HDV equipment (HD100, BR50 deck).

Your client is going to have to get his hands on either one of the above units.

Hopefully one day, all this will be settled and we can just put an HDV tape into any HDV deck, camera, etc and they will just play.

That day is not here yet.

Dan Weber

Thanks for your help Dan. If I shot it in 30P, would it then be able to play?

Carl

Gil Whitney May 26th, 2006 12:11 PM

This makes for a good argument for getting the DR-HD100-80 and making the original tape an archive. Let the client download to his media drives and be done with it. That’s the direction I'm heading towards.

Carl Martin May 26th, 2006 12:32 PM

Quote:

This makes for a good argument for getting the DR-HD100-80 and making the original tape an archive. Let the client download to his media drives and be done with it. That’s the direction I heading towards.

My client is in Florida and I'm in NY. I dout they will spring for one of these.

Nate Weaver May 26th, 2006 12:53 PM

And let this be a lesson to you all!

Test! :-)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl Martin
My client is in Florida and I'm in NY. I dout they will spring for one of these.

That's what rentals are for. Or have them send it back so you can dub it to something they can use.

Giroud Francois May 26th, 2006 01:02 PM

make a DVD of it

Gil Whitney May 26th, 2006 07:58 PM

Quote:

I wish my clients would pay for mine too (:, but it seems like a must have just to make JVC's HDV more accessible. There might come a time when producers will come into town with a pelican full of p2 cards or firestore drives and just hand you the drive to shoot with. If I had a good out of state client, I could see shipping them a well packed HD or p2 card, if that’s what it would take to serve them.

Carl Martin May 27th, 2006 06:22 AM

Quote:

I wish my clients would pay for mine too (:, but it seems like a must have just to make JVC's HDV more accessible. There might come a time when producers will come into town with a pelican full of p2 cards or firestore drives and just hand you the drive to shoot with. If I had a good out of state client, I could see shipping them a well packed HD or p2 card, if that’s what it would take to serve them.

It is pretty costly buying all of these add ons. The client happens to be a production house. I believe they should have the right equipment to handle all formats. They knew I had a JVC HD, and did not ask me if it would playback on their Sony Deck. Also shipping an expensive item and it gets lost, then what? It is a sensative item that can get damaged in shipping and the likleyhood of tape being damaged is remote. I understand serving the client, but it dose not mean that I should own every piece of equipment known to mankind.

Boyd Ostroff May 27th, 2006 06:37 AM

This old thread might be of interest....

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=56205

Gil Whitney May 27th, 2006 10:58 AM

Quote:

It is pretty costly buying all of these add ons. The client happens to be a production house. I believe they should have the right equipment to handle all formats. They knew I had a JVC HD, and did not ask me if it would playback on their Sony Deck. Also shipping an expensive item and it gets lost, then what? It is a sensative item that can get damaged in shipping and the likleyhood of tape being damaged is remote. I understand serving the client, but it dose not mean that I should own every piece of equipment known to mankind.

No problem. I'm just thinking of solutions to get around the fact that the JVC HDV deck is not a common item in most production houses. I’m getting the DR-HD setup in a few weeks and my local clients are looking forward to the prospect of no more digitizing. The rate for the camera package goes up a bit, of course. If the production house won’t down convert the tape themselves (or pay to have it done - I've had that happen to me) then you might be stuck with having to do it yourself just to keep them happy. Hope it all works out for you.