Color representation w/ Marshall LCD at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old May 26th, 2006, 02:15 PM   #1
New Boot

Color representation w/ Marshall LCD

This is my first post and I have to say that I have learned so much from this forum. Kudos to everyone here. All the information here has been very valuable to me.

I bought the HD100 and next week I will get a G5, Kona LHe and a Firewire G Drive. For monitoring Im getting the 10" JVC (dt-v100cgu) CRT. The main problem is that its not DC capable. So Im thinking about buying a Marshall LCD for locations without DC.

QUESTIONS:

1. How is the color representation with the Marshalls -VR84DPHD or VR70PHDA? Can I trust them to do color correction on camera?

2. Are there any better sub 10" and IDX powered LCDs at $2500?
Julian Banos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2006, 03:02 PM   #2
Wrangler

The color accuracy and res is as good as it gets at that price range...while I wouldn't at all use it for CC work on an edit rig, it's better than the on camera LCD for color evaluation.

It does however have a problem with deep blues and purples on edges...I only saw it once and somebody had to point it out to me, but it was clear afterwards.
Old May 26th, 2006, 04:43 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate Weaver
The color accuracy and res is as good as it gets at that price range...while I wouldn't at all use it for CC work on an edit rig, it's better than the on camera LCD for color evaluation.

It does however have a problem with deep blues and purples on edges...I only saw it once and somebody had to point it out to me, but it was clear afterwards.
I agree. I have this monitor, VR70PHDA. It works well in the field. I recomend it.
Carl Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2006, 09:12 PM   #4
Major Player

We have two of the 8" VR70PHDAs. They have slightly better rez at 800 X 480 than some of the cheaper LCDs. You can calibrate pretty good color with the blue only feature. We've found that we are using the SD more than HD. Not much difference at this size/rez of a display. Plus, running a big component cable 10 feet or more can be really bulky. I wish I could find a really small conductor component cable similar to coax.

We have the Anton Bauer power tap cable and use the Noga arm to mount it to the camera. The Marshall shoe adaptor is too weak to hold these monitors. The monitor has a built in Vmount. We also invested in the Anton Bauer Vmount adaptor that lets us use our Dionics directly. This is a much better set up when the monitor has to be away from the camera.

They work with the NTSC feed or HD component via 3 BNCs.

For the price, I haven't seen anything comparable to the VR70PHDA.

Dave Beaty
Dave Beaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2006, 01:54 PM   #5
New Boot

V-R70P-HDA vs V-R84DP-HDA

Thank you for the feed back.

What is the real difference between the two Marshalls (V-R70P-HDA and V-R84DP-HDA) aside from the VR84 being larger. Is there a real big difference in color?
Julian Banos is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems