DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   Sign me up - HD100 just came in! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/68253-sign-me-up-hd100-just-came.html)

Burk Webb May 26th, 2006 04:49 PM

Sign me up - HD100 just came in!

Very excited, my HD100 has been here for a week and have been testing it like crazy. Been using the Paolo V3 settings and very happy with the image, thanks a ton for everyone that has posted here - this is a huge resource and it has helped me greatly!

So far very good results, it's a bit noisier than the Z1 but, and I'm trying to find out if I'm nuts or what, the noise has a rather film like quality. I don't know if it's a 24p thing or what but it's been rather nice aesthetically, it looks a bit like film grain to me - am I the only person that's having this experience. I know noise is the trade off for the small chip etc but I'm wondering if it's all a bad thing. With the Z1 when I have gotten noise, usually in dark grey areas of a shot/shadows etc, the noise has a real nasty video look. Very misquito like, with the JVC it has a more organic, granular appearance. I'm thinking the cams set up is probably helping this but also the progressive frames might help a bit as well. Any thoughts?

Thanks again,
Burk

Soroush Shahrokni May 26th, 2006 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burk Webb
...and I'm trying to find out if I'm nuts or what, the noise has a rather film like quality. I don't know if it's a 24p thing or what but it's been rather nice aesthetically, it looks a bit like film grain to me...

Congratulations Burk and welcome to the club. You are not nuts as I very much agree with the "film" noise! :)

Paolo Ciccone May 26th, 2006 09:29 PM

Hey Burk.
Congratulations! You'll love the camera, it takes a while to get used to it but it's a great performer.
About the noise, do you see it on even backgrounds? Possibly low light?
BTW, sorry for asking, have you checked gthat you don't have the gain on?

Steven Thomas May 26th, 2006 10:33 PM

I don't see much noise.

I suggest running out, if you have not already, and buying an external ND filter. I'm using the Heliopan .9.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

Do not to close down anymore than f8.

Try keep your aperture in the f2 - f5.6 range.

Burk Webb May 27th, 2006 01:38 AM

Thanks for the response guys, Paolo - thanks so much for all the work you have done. These tweaks are a great resource, been having very good results with them, thanks so much!

The noise thing is just in comparison to stuff I have shot with the Z1. I'm talking stuff that is probably not noticable to anyone who is not 2 inches from their monitor - if then. The JVC seems just a teeny, tiny bit noisier than the Z1, but in a good way, if that makes any sense. It's probably because I'm liking the image from the JVC better, it looks much more organic.

Tip McPartland May 27th, 2006 02:29 AM

Noise and RF

I think it helps the noise a bit if you install the little magnetic doughnut on the viewfinder cable like the manual says to do. The manual says that this cuts unwanted RF, and I suspect that they want to bring that down to prevent induction into the camera's analog circuits, which would of course result in noise. These light, small cameras probably aren't shielded terribly well against RF, so any source that close (in this case on the camera itself) would almost have to make some amount of noise, whether noticable or not.

Any thoughts on this? Or does JVC recommend this scheme to reduce RF just to please the FCC or some such authority that regulates radio waves?

Scott Jaco May 28th, 2006 05:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burk Webb
So far very good results, it's a bit noisier than the Z1 but, and I'm trying to find out if I'm nuts or what, the noise has a rather film like quality. with the JVC it has a more organic, granular appearance. I'm thinking the cams set up is probably helping this but also the progressive frames might help a bit as well. Any thoughts?

Thanks again,
Burk

Turn the "Detail" settings to "OFF". This gets rid of the noisy artifacts.