Japanese format? Satellite transmission.... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old May 29th, 2006, 03:23 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Japanese format? Satellite transmission....

Hi there,
Got a question for anyone that knows.....

I have a job coming up during the World Cup for a Japanese broadcaster working out of Sydney Australia.

At completion of Job i need to take the tape to have it sent via satellite to Japan.

They want HD. Whats the best format to shoot for Japan? (My camera is an oz GY-101e). Having not had anything much to do with satellite transmissions, how do i get my HD tapes played out? Component out? Firewire out?

Any help greatly appreciated,

thanks

Craig
Craig Donaldson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2006, 03:51 PM   #2
Major Player

I believe Japan is all 1080i60. They independently developed a 1125 line (1035 visible) analog HD standard a while back and when it came time to go digital I think they all went 1080i to keep it as close as possible.

The satellite truck will want HD-SDI and will probably not be equipped to take analog component, and will definitely not take HDV over firewire. Best advice is to look up the local satellite production company that is being used for uplink and call their engineer and work something out. You may have to rent a few extra pieces of equipment.
Stephan Ahonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2006, 12:02 AM   #3
Wrangler

You'll most likely want to prepare for an HDCAM master, really.
Old May 30th, 2006, 07:29 AM   #4
Regular Crew

so my little gy 101e aint gonna do it huh?
Craig Donaldson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2006, 11:43 AM   #5
Wrangler

No, that's not what we're saying at all.

Just find a way to get your material from HDV tape to either HD-SDI or D5 or HDCAM or whatever format they're going to want.

But you have to find out what that format is first. This box will probably get you there whatever it may be:

http://www.miranda.com/product.php?i=336

Just find a rental outlet for it!
Old June 1st, 2006, 08:55 AM   #6
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate Weaver
No, that's not what we're saying at all.

Just find a way to get your material from HDV tape to either HD-SDI or D5 or HDCAM or whatever format they're going to want.

But you have to find out what that format is first. This box will probably get you there whatever it may be:

http://www.miranda.com/product.php?i=336

Just find a rental outlet for it!
Nice one Nate - not even sure you can rent the HD101 in Aus let alone the Miranda or the Convergent technologies box. Craig, I'd reckon someone like FATS would be able to get your tape from HDV to hD-Cam - maybe phone them and get a quote in advance after you find out what format Optus or Telstra want. You may even be able to uplink an .m2t file - I'd check all your options before saying yes.
John Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2006, 11:21 AM   #7
Wrangler

Ok, so my specific suggestion may not be practical in your neck of the woods, but it's possible, somehow, someway.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems