DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   Streamclip saved the day - Fixed 914 data breaks (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/69054-streamclip-saved-day-fixed-914-data-breaks.html)

Adam Craig June 7th, 2006 01:27 AM

Streamclip saved the day - Fixed 914 data breaks

So i apparently got a bad tape but didn't know it till after shooting a full day of expensive and time intensive Blue-screen work. When i captured there was a TC break every few seconds. Nothing would read the raw m2t file. Enter Streamclip, the fix "TC" and "Fix Data Breaks on Export" options saved the day. I have to edit around the Dropouts but at least i can use some of the footage. Yay!

Brian Luce June 7th, 2006 02:05 AM

How good is the blue screen image? Paolo and others have reported issues with chromakeying--mentioning stair stepping etc.

What kind of results did you get?

Adam Craig June 7th, 2006 02:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I haven't had a chance to tweak yet but here's a prelim test grab.

Jonathan Ames June 7th, 2006 08:44 AM

For months, I've heard more bad things than good about the 100hd's ability relative to producing footage that will stand up to chromakey and wanted to finally make comment. I hope you all have good results because when we started 2nd Unit that debuted at NAB,(before we tore it apart to incorporate the live webcast properties everyone wanted), people were amazed with the results we achieved with even the 4:2:0 footage much less than 4:2:2 in chroma. We've shot 3 of 4 2006 series shows for OLN keying the color commentary booth (because of site/set limitations) which was shot after the competition and then cut it in for the final show. Mike Pellagatti set the lighting for the chroma which was bright and failrley even but not overly so because we were using Serious Magic which is a great and forgiving program if used correctly. Anyway, the only problem we experienced was having to move the final output from a dark moving backgroune to a static light colored set to accommodate the 4:2:0 tape. The 4:2:0 footage simply fails to be able to carry the edge well enough when contrasts are big but at component out via 10A to disk with 4:2:2 the problems are, of course, mitigated and any background can be used. But that does not mean that tape from the 100HD is unusable. Simply reduce through forward planning the contrast ratio betwen the talent and the background when you're keying from tape source will be fine. The combination of Serious Magic and the 100HD is a good one for broadcast and a great one for independent contrary to what many people say and yes that's in SD and HD. Subject wardrobe and background in HD is just alot more critical. The trick is in knowing the limitations and working with them. Paolo's podcasts and standard content on his cruiser site is an excellent example of what can be done with Serious Magic. If I'm not mistaken, he used one of Serious Magic's motion sets and it looked fantastic.