JVC concerns for future - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old June 8th, 2006, 08:10 PM   #16
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Hohauser
The article is talking about JVC as an entire company. JVC has lost a lot of it's market share in consumer electronics especially since it seems to have been based on older technologies (CRTs and traditional stereo equipment).
I agree with your guess that it is the consumer division that is being talked about. For decades, Panasonic and JVC released VHS, VHS-C, and DV camcorders that were generally equal. Now they release Plasma and Home Theater electronics. There's no good reason to do so. Why two Blu-ray players?

Now it would seem simple to simply leave the JVC brand and kill the overlapping products. But, for the JVC consumer sales channel, that might leave only a dozen products which would lead to defections.

When I lived in Japan, JVC was considered to be on a par with Sony -- and Matsushita was like GE. So an alternative is to keep the JVC brand and use it like Matsushita did "Techniques." A brand that does the more unique and more slightly expensive products. The HDD based DV (and HDV?)camcorders come to mind.

The JVC pro group has already made the smart move of not duplicating Matsushita pro products. Except for the 5000 series of DV camcorders, almost everything they sell is unique. Moreover, by NOT launching non-tape based products, they keep using their decades of investment in tape transport design. They also follow more of an "open standards" approach which cuts R&D costs. (They use DV -- not DVCAM or DVCPRO.)

They also partner. The HD1/HD10's encoder came from NTT. For all we know the new encoder chip also comes from outside. (Or, like American companies, they may design the chip and have it built by a fab company.) In the future, they could buy chipset's (even from the USA) that are a complete H.264 HD camcorder on a chip. The CMOS they talked of came from outside, too.

All this keeps R&D costs low and lets them focus their engineers on what really counts -- product design for the professional. The HD100 "feels" right, while IMHO, the X1 does not. Because they keep costs low, as long as they keep producing winners, they should be able to make a good profit. Thus, they could remain a separate company like now -- or become a specialty division like JEEP. JEEP makes unique products and it's Name and Image are critical.

So I wouldn't worry about our HD100, etc.
Old June 8th, 2006, 08:27 PM   #17
Major Player

For all you finance types, you can find all of the financial results for JVC at their investor relations site. Read the President's message. He is very frank about the difficulties they have had.

http://www.jvc.co.jp/english/company/ir/index.html

Here's the Cliff Notes version:

Their problems were mainly with the consumer products division. Sales were down due to quality problems with DVD recorders and late product introductions. Fierce competition with digital products also eroded prices and profit margins.

The professional products division was actually pretty stable, although not really a standout. Sales were down slightly about 1% but profits were actually up. Professional products only account for 8% of the JVC's consolidated sales (compared to 74% for consumer products).

JVC is a pretty small player. JVC's entire sales revenue only makes up 7% of its parent company, Matsushita's (Panasonic) consolidated yearly sales. Panasonic AVC Networks (the divisions that make all the consumer and professional A/V electronics) make up 39% of Matsushita sales. That division actually lost money in 2002 but quickly recovered after that.

It's kind of interesting to look at these companies' financial results. It opens your eyes to how slim their profit margins really are when everything is factored in.
Tim Le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2006, 09:26 PM   #18
2nd Unit TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paolo Ciccone
Well, you can always send it to me via email, I can use a laugh :)
Oh heck, it's a great picture so here it is... just so long as no one thinks it's a real camera. It's been making the rounds at the studios. Personally, I'd have addded an AB battery and Focus drive.
J
Attached Thumbnails
JVC concerns for future-panasonic-hdx500.jpg  
Jonathan Ames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2006, 09:32 PM   #19
Inner Circle

That picture would only be better if it had the $11,000 wide angle Fujinon lens on it.
Old June 8th, 2006, 09:38 PM   #20
2nd Unit TV

When I found out it was a hoax, it was one of those moments when I said, "I wish I'da thought a that!" I've been smilin' about that picture all day. Darn fine idea about the lens, though!
Jonathan Ames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2006, 09:43 PM   #21
Regular Crew

One could only hope that a hybrid like that could occur - it would really be a killer camera for the price. The best of both ...
Rob McCardle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2006, 12:44 AM   #22
Inner Circle

Hmmm, I guess everyone forgot JVC is supporting LCOS as a viable alternative to DLP and getting great reviews of their products in the Home Theater press. And they are selling lots and lots of hd-100 cameras. Maybe they will be better off getting out of the low end consumer market with it's paper thin margins.

Relax, be happy folks, unless Sony buys them and shuts them down. Oh Sh#t, what a nightmare that would be.

And Jonathon, just what part of "Double Secret Probation" did you not understand????!!!!!!

Sincerely
Dean Wormer
Old June 9th, 2006, 08:30 AM   #23
2nd Unit TV

With the workload I'm looking at today starting ....RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!!!!! that was what I needed. Funny! I'll be thinking Wormer all day now.
Jonathan Ames is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems