DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   HD200/250: better viewfinder? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/69066-hd200-250-better-viewfinder.html)

Bill Edmunds June 7th, 2006 05:59 AM

HD200/250: better viewfinder?

Any chance the HD200 or 250 will have a better viewfinder than the HD100? I wear glasses and I found the HD100's viewfinder to be unusable. What about the dreaded split screen issue?

Bob Fierce June 7th, 2006 09:44 AM

I doubt JVC has plans to upgrade the viewfinder since there haven't been a lot of complaints about the one on the HD100 (in fact, yours is the only one I can recall). As to the split screen effect, after receiving tons of complaints, I think JVC did as much correction as possible with the introduction of the HD100"A". So if you're planning on shooting a lot of monochromatic walls at in low light at -18db, then the 200/250 might not be the camera for you.
Actually there hasn't been any more news on the 200/250 since NAB. As you're no doubt aware, its main advantage over the HD100 is the new MPEG encoder that allows 60p. While the 200 is designed for film makers with the "image flip" feature that allows the camera to use film prime lenses, the 250 converts from hand-held to studio configuration by sliding into a housing that allows the camera to be controlled from the RM210 CCU for multi-camera work. Hopefully JVC will meet it scheduled September release date for both cameras.

Bill Edmunds June 7th, 2006 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Fierce
I doubt JVC has plans to upgrade the viewfinder since there haven't been a lot of complaints about the one on the HD100 (in fact, yours is the only one I can recall).

Actually there were entire threads devoted to this topic when the HD100 came out. For those of us who are nearsighted and wear glasses, the viewfinder is quite poor.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Fierce
As to the split screen effect, after receiving tons of complaints, I think JVC did as much correction as possible with the introduction of the HD100"A". So if you're planning on shooting a lot of monochromatic walls at in low light at -18db, then the 200/250 might not be the camera for you.

But that's my favorite thing to shoot!

Rob McCardle June 7th, 2006 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Edmunds

But that's my favorite thing to shoot!

Got a timelapse feature in the works, Bill ? :)

Mark Silva June 8th, 2006 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Edmunds
For those of us who are nearsighted and wear glasses, the viewfinder is quite poor.

Really? This might seem obvious but have you adjusted the vf focus and peaking as well?

I am near sighted and wear glasses and have no trouble at all with the vf.

I only shoot with the focus assist on though.

Bill Edmunds June 8th, 2006 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Silva
Really? This might seem obvious but have you adjusted the vf focus and peaking as well?

I am near sighted and wear glasses and have no trouble at all with the vf.

Yes, I adjusted those things and was never able to get a satisfactory image -- it seems so small for one thing. I should say I am VERY nearsighted. However I use the Sony DSR250 every day and can see through it with complete clarity.

Burt Holland June 14th, 2006 11:45 AM

Both my LCD and viewfinder picture are terrible, is there a chance that it's something wrong with the camera? It sounds different than what others are describing though, my problems are more with chroma and contrast. It almost looks like a termination problem. Frankly, I won't even show a client what it looks like through the viewfinder, only an external monitor, because it looks so bad. It's not just my eyes, everyone that sees it says the same thing. My camera's in for repair now and I've asked JVC to look at it, hopefully there was a pin not connecting or something of the sort.

John Mitchell June 15th, 2006 09:15 AM

There was definitely talk of a studio vf for the HD250 - that wouldn't be for ENG though.
If you do a search there's a thread around here on the 200/250 that lists most of the options.