DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   Jvc Tripod plate for HD100ua (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/69072-jvc-tripod-plate-hd100ua.html)

Joe Bowey June 7th, 2006 07:44 AM

Jvc Tripod plate for HD100ua

I have bought the cartoni focus tripod ands the plate is mounted tight to the camera but when I pan quickly the camera slides around and was wondering if the tripod plate sold for the camera would work better and will it work on the cartoni focus tripod?

Keith Ward June 10th, 2006 03:16 PM

Joe,

Yes, I use the JVC plate on the Focus, and it works exceptionally well. No sliding at all. Rock solid.

Stephen Knapp June 16th, 2006 04:04 PM

JVC tripod adapter and the Sony VCT-U14

Before you spring for the JVC tripod plate for the HD100, you might want to know that it is identical with the Sony VCT-U14 plate in every respect except color (size, weight, method of operation, spatial relationship of components - identical). The Sony plate is a little cheaper, and a lot cheaper if you are willing to go used. The Sony plate has been around for several years, and there are lots of used ones on the resale markets - but if you are in a hurry, B&H handle them new. I haven't done a "new" price comparison lately so don't know about discounting between the two.

Johnnie Behiri June 16th, 2006 10:22 PM

JVC plate

The plate is universal in the professional camera/tripod world.
It is working fine with the JVC, but not as solid fix as a full size camera, since a full size camera is secure to the plate in 2 positions and the JVC only in one

Tim Le June 16th, 2006 11:50 PM

Wow, I didn't know all of these Sony, JVC and Panasonic plates were interchangeable. They sure looked alike but I didn't know they were compatible. Nice tip about using the Sony VCT-14/VCT-U14 plates, but I was wondering about something. If you wanted to use the HD100 with one of these broadcast camera tripod adapters, don't you have to screw a little wedge adapter to the bottom of the camera? It doesn't seem like the camera comes with this wedge adapter. I think you can only get it by buying the $250 JVC tripod plate. Is this true? I hope not.

I also agree that it would be nice if the camera locked to the rear pin on the tripod plate like other broadcast cameras. Like someone else suggested, the IDX battery bracket would be the best candidate to modify with a rear receiver for this pin. The AB bracket sits too high. I wish the battery makers would make their brackets to accept this rear pin. Maybe JVC should work with the battery vendors to get them the dimensions to put in this receiver (hint, hint).

Johnnie Behiri June 17th, 2006 12:18 AM

Yes, you do need the little wedge adaptor to the bottom of the camera.
I am worried it is a lot of tension/pressure on the part of the camera the wedge adaptor is screwed on.
So much wight at the back of the camera (with the IDX battery) and actually it is all hanging on the air.

I don't know if you can buy the adaptor separately.

K. Forman June 17th, 2006 08:22 AM

Just out of curiosity, how do these things mount? I barely been able to find a pic of one, let alone good enough to see how it would work. Is it just one plate, or two plates that mount to tripod and camera, then attach to each other?

John Mitchell June 17th, 2006 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen Knapp
Before you spring for the JVC tripod plate for the HD100, you might want to know that it is identical with the Sony VCT-U14 plate in every respect except color (size, weight, method of operation, spatial relationship of components - identical).

Stephen - is the "v" plate which attaches to the camera with 4xM2 screws identical as well? Are the screw holes in the right place?

Johnnie Behiri June 17th, 2006 10:10 AM

Sorry, not Stephan, but the answer is yes.

Stephen Knapp June 17th, 2006 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnnie Behiri
Yes, you do need the little wedge adaptor to the bottom of the camera.
I am worried it is a lot of tension/pressure on the part of the camera the wedge adaptor is screwed on.
So much wight at the back of the camera (with the IDX battery) and actually it is all hanging on the air.

I don't know if you can buy the adaptor separately.

The V-mount adaptor that fits on the bottom of the camera is identical to SOME of the adaptor shoes that come with Sony DXC camera, especially in the used market. I happened to have a hadful of DXC-325, 327, and a 537 camera bodies sitting around. Some of them were set up for the VCT-U14 mount, and others for the VCT-12. The latter was supposed to be the default for the Sony DXC cameras, but I have found quite a few use the VCT-U14. Here's the thing, though: The configuration of mounting screws that attach these adaptor shoes to the base of the camera is the same for both adaptor plate types, and they are the same as the configuration for the JVC KA-551. If you have access to the camera base shoe for the Sony VCT-U14, then that combo is exactly what JVC is selling as the KA-551U tripod base. But if you have both the base shoe and adaptor plate for a Sony VCT-12, that combo will work too.

Your comment about the back end of the camera hanging in the air was exactly my concern with the JVC plate (which I bought even though I had a couple of extra VCT-U14 sets at hand, but before I knew better). As a matter of fact, just looking at surface area for support, there is less support for the HD100 using the tripod adaptor than if you mounted it flush on the release plate of a good video tripod. In that kind of setup the tail still hangs out, but the force on the base is spread out over a greater surface area.

The advantage to using the tripod adaptor system is that the shoe is very low profile so the camera won't tip as easily if you set it down on a flat surface with the shoe attached, and you don't have a clunky release plate in the way of the base if you want to take it from a tripod to your shoulder. It is also good if you have to mount the camera onto a support setup that does not have a quick release mechanism of its own.

John Mitchell June 18th, 2006 09:39 PM

I have tried using just the wedge plate on the tripod but it is no way as stable as the V-lock. There is only one 1/4" thread on the bottom of the existing camera - I managed to stiffen this by drilling a couple of extra holes through my wedge plate, but it was unworkable as you couldn't then remove the tripod plate quickly. I have nothad the same vibration and lateral movement problems since switching to the V-lock despite the lack of rear end support (which would be nice).

Steve S. Kim July 26th, 2006 12:48 AM

just to be clear, the sony vct-u14 is a direct replacement for the more expensive jvc plate? or do i require the jvc plate because i don't have the sony 'camera base shoe'?

basically trying to figure out if i can pocket the $80 difference between the two.

all i have right now, or will have, is the camera and the focus tripod.

cheers,
steve

Laszlo Horvath July 26th, 2006 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve S. Kim
just to be clear, the sony vct-u14 is a direct replacement for the more expensive jvc plate? or do i require the jvc plate because i don't have the sony 'camera base shoe'?

basically trying to figure out if i can pocket the $80 difference between the two.

all i have right now, or will have, is the camera and the focus tripod.

cheers,
steve

Steve!

If you don't have a "V plate" you better buy a JVC kit for $270. The JVC kit come with this "V plate" which is go to the bottom of the camera. The Sony is around $180 new, plus the "V plate" are $150 So already around $330 Also, only JVC Europe sell the "V plate" separetly and beleive me it's pain in the b... to find it. I went trough this procedure, because I have one extra Sony VCT-14, and I traveled to Europe anyway so I can buy there. But I ended up with the brand new JVC kit from B&H and I sold my used Sony tripod plate on e-bay for around $160.

Laszlo

Steve Oakley July 26th, 2006 08:15 AM

I have a SQUARE Sony body plate available for the VCT-12. The TVC-12 quick release can be had for typically $50-$75

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=72010

please read it first..

Steve Oakley

Drew Curran July 27th, 2006 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith Forman
Just out of curiosity, how do these things mount? I barely been able to find a pic of one, let alone good enough to see how it would work. Is it just one plate, or two plates that mount to tripod and camera, then attach to each other?

Keith,
The JVC plate is screw fixed to the existing release plate that came with your tripod head using 2 bolts.

A v mount is screw fixed to the base of the HD100. This is then slotted in to the plate. There is a lever on the side of the plate that allows one-movement release of the camera.

To be honest I wish I'd saved £200 and used the money for something more useful. The plate on my 503 head releases in 2 moves, adding ooooooh about a second!!

IMHO it ain't worth it.

Andrew